‘Friends’: Ross & Rachel: Were they on a break?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Friends was 30 years ago??? Man time is really flying by.

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

This thread just gave me a flashback to when I walked over to the office pantry for a cup of coffee...
    For a moment, I thought all of the intense, passionate discussion was actually about real-life people.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not even when she lied about the hunky guy being at her apartment?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Not quite 30 years - it debuted fall of 1994, so we're on the way to 25 years!

5. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Nope. Ross was irrational and paranoid about stuff like that, so her lying was an attempt to avoid another needless fight.

6. Oatsdad

I watched the video and it looked shadier than that to me when she tried to hide the fact Hunky Guy was there...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was the lying and trying to hide it that directly lead to Ross sleeping with that woman. She called the break, he thought they were done (as did she) and when Ross heard the very guy that he was paranoid over at Rachel’s apartment shortly after their break, that was it. Rachel never should have had him over.

8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This fight is one of the best sequences in the show's history. Chandler at the end puts the exclamation point to it.

9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

They are actually the same show. Just replace the coffee shop with a comic book store.

Chris DeVoe and GodShifter like this.
  10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

So how do you think that would have gone?

Ross: Who's that?
    Rachel: Mark. He just came over because he heard that I was upset when he called me and he wanted to make sure I was ok.
    Ross: Oh, man, I feel like an idiot. He just wants to make sure you're ok? And here I thought he wanted to have sex with you. I guess I had him pegged all wrong. Why don't we all go out for dinner?

Rachel's reaction was simply not to fan the flames. Yes she lied, but it's the kind of white lie that you tell that won't hurt anyone and won't make things worse. The fact is that nothing in the writing of the show would lead us to think Rachel wanted to cheat on Ross. Her lie didn't work and it may have directly lead to Ross cheating. However, if it was the straw that broke the camel's back, you have to recognize that all the other straws on the camel's back were put there by Ross. The lie drove him to cheat because it reinforced everything he thought, but all of those thoughts were wrong and his own fault. I feel like the wrong person is being blamed here because while she was only 1% at fault, that 1% was the last 1% to occur, and so it's like the other 99% that came before is irrelevant.

In actual fact, the 99% that is Ross' fault is relevant; it's what drove Rachel to her lie, and the culmination of everything (not just the lie) is what lead to Ross cheating.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Or Aaron Sorkin...just how long a conversation could they have, walking through the hallways of Central Perk....:eek:

"How could you-"

"But we were on a br-excuse me, I have to use the john (slam)..."

"Could you BE any more of a horndog..."

(muffled): "Could you go tell Gunther we need another roll in here..."

12. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Sorry to go off-topic, but perhaps starting a thread just for this picture would be too much. Jennifer Aniston shared it earlier today, I don't know how often all six actors got together in the past few years.

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"The One Where They Contemplate How Many Millions They Could Get For One Lousy Reunion Show".

Dillydipper likes this.
  14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Did Kit Kat air any commercials during this episode? It would actually be a clever commercial if they reprised their roles for one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

They should have named one of the episodes "The One After 909". :D

Matthew Tate and vince like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

My wife started rewatching this show a few days ago & I've been watching it too. It's held up very well & doesn't seem dated at all. Much, much funnier than any comedy series maybe since. It also helps that I haven't seen them since they aired so I don't remember much except the major plot points.

P(orF), Matthew Tate and vince like this.
  18. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

You guys scare me :yikes:;)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

More like cute beautiful people, rather than funny. Seinfeld, on the other hand, was funny.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

As much as I do like Seinfeld, on the list of tv shows that make me laugh, Friends & Frazier do the job better. Comedy is subjective.

P(orF) and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I think Ross & Rachel were on a break. I think it's amazing that Friends has stood the test of time. I think this is why a lot of new shows never take off. People are still watching shows like Friends and Seinfeld 25 years later. From what I've read online, a new league of fans has cropped up composed of millennials and Generation Z. How Met Your Mother is basically just a crass ripoff of Friends. I think of Friends as the Beatles of twentysomething sitcoms.

22. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

BTW the talented tyhem writer has passed..Allee Wllis has passed..

23. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident

Even Rachel admitted they were on a break.

02:22 mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.