Fringe (FOX TV sci-fi/drama)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I agree about the show being OK but not outstanding. But I can't figure out what the main story line is. Is the main story line about the bald guy playing Where's Waldo? Or is it about the experiments being done on kids 20 years ago? Or is it about the plight of the cow that the mad scientist keeps in the lab? The program is all over the place from week to week. And I think the writers are throwing stuff out there to see what the audience is responding to in the blogosphere and then just taking it from there.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My contacts tell me yeah, they've worked out a 5-year story arc where everything will be explained. He specifically said: "this isn't gonna be a Twin Peaks / X-Files / Heroes thing where the initial mystery is great, but then the show falls apart after it tries to explain things." I think J.J. Abrams is painfully aware of the pitfalls of plot problems (which I think they've addressed with the most recent Lost episodes).

I think it's a funny, smart, clever show that actually manages to get in somewhat frightening moments. Good, solid acting from the leads, too. Leonard Nimoy is about to join the show in a limited role as the reclusive billionaire Dr. William Bell (head of the evil Massive Dynamic Corp.), and that's bound to be interesting.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

By "main story line" I mean the plots that extend across episodes. Maybe "main story line" wasn't the best choice of words, but I'm referring to what her partner/lover was involved in, the involvement of Massive Dynamics, and the group that teleported the guy out of the German prison. They tell us in the first episode that a lot of seemingly unrelated events are part of what they call "the pattern". So much of what they investigate has roots in Walter's work. And there are also things like the effects on Agent Dunham's mind of going into the chamber so that she could explore the memories of her dead partner. The remnants of his memories were clattering around in her brain and causing problems, but apparently those go away when they feel like a standalone episode. They'll return I imagine next time they feel like continuing what I referred to as the main storyline.

5. Chris R

If Massive Dynamics is behind all of these strange activities and such, I wonder why we're not seeing the Nina Sharp character (Blair Brown) more often.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well I think that may change once William Bell appears. Word has it, he used to have pointy ears. ;-)

7. agentalbert

I don't know that they are behind everything (I doubt it), but Nina is certainly aware of much more than she lets on, and only doles out information in small bits. Didn't one of the episodes show the body of Dunham's partner being taken into Massive Dynamics?

8. Leee242

Leee242 Forum Resident

The Observer reminds me of Howie Mandel

9. Dok

Dok Senior Member

You can watch whole episodes at Fox.com.

10. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

They've already leaked that Leonard Nimoy is William Bell...in tonight's episode, that was his voice on the videotape at the end

11. Chris R

Some great post-punk/goth/industrial music in Tuesday night's episode 1-18 "Midnight".

The show opened in a nightclub playing Bauhaus - "Bela Lugosi's Dead". Then it went right into "Tear You Apart" - She Wants Revenge. Great pairing of songs from the old school and new. :righton:

[​IMG]

The episode also included:

"Candy Darling" - Daniel Ash
    "Discipline" - Nine Inch Nails
    "Burning Up" - Ladytron

The episode was directed by Bobby Roth. We had Bobby here in 2001 at the Calgary International Film Festival for the screening of his film Jack The Dog. Then 2 years later in 2003, we ran the sequel Manhood.

Looks from the previews that in next week's episode we finally see The Observer. He appears in the lab looking for Walter Bishop.

12. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

This is pretty much my exact same take on this show. :righton:
    Looking forward to seeing Nimoy in the fold.

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yeah, I just didn't want to be the spoiler here. :)

I think Nimoy will be a great addition to the show.

14. agentalbert

Someone refresh my memory - who is William Bell?

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

William Bell was originally mad scientist Dr. Walter Bishop's assistant during the 1980s and early 1990s. After Bishop was charged with manslaughter and sentenced to life in an asylum, Bell essentially took all of Bishop's experiments, got them to work, and formed the Massive Dynamic Corporation to commercially exploit them, making billions of dollars in the process.

There are large similarities between Bell and Bill Gates (except for age).

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

What? They were both scientists?
    Gates had a lab partner charged with murder and sent to an asylum?

17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Yes, They were both scientist (I have no idea about Gates). I my mind the question is if Bell is behind the strange happenings or is there a third group at play here (the guy who "beamed" from Germany for example).

18. Tony Plachy

Is there a reason for showing this picture (other than the blond woman is very hot)?

19. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Thanks, but I was referring to the Gates/Bell comparison.

As to your question, Bell is behind Massive Dynamics which represents technology. There is another group which represents anti-technology (the German) employing Walter's manifesto.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

From IMDB
    Just finished watching first six episodes and boy, does it disappoints. The whole cast is annoying and leading the pack is protagonist Anna Torv. She looks like she is suffering from indigestion and about to throw up anytime. Joshua jackson is bearable with is his occasional P.Js. The "supposedly know it all" john noble as walter bishop is really irritating.

Comparisons with x files is inevitable and still there is no comparison. X files had great acting, good character development and excellent cinematography, especially in the first six seasons. Instead of all that, what we get here is poor script, implausible explanations and did i mention annoying characters. There is absolutely no chemistry between cast members. The only saving grace is occasional CGI but i am not sure how long it will carry the show on its shoulder. They desperately need some good scripts and even better actors.

Somebody doesn't like it.
    Question- Just starting watching. Female FBI agent who is forced to work with an institutionalized scientist . Why is she forced?

21. I'd remind you that "The X-Files" first season had some MAJOR clunkers during its first season so you need to give it a chance. There are shows that had brilliant first seasons from the very first episode and those fell apart later ("Heroes" anyone? or "Twin Peaks") so the fact that the writing improved and the show found its rhythm is encouraging. There is no science in it of course that's all window dressing for the shocks in the series.

"The X-Files" also borrowed from "Twin Peaks".

I disagree about everything you stated except the scripts during the first couple of episodes--they improved. Any show during its first season needs to find its "legs" and this one was no exception. It improves as it moves along with each episode getting better.

She isn't forced to work with the scientist--she ends up working with him because he may be able to help solve the mystery itself and ends up working with him on a regular basis once it's clear that he can be a valuable resource.

Last night's episode proved to put the main story line back in focus with a pivotal reveal.

22. Tony Plachy

Is the German "ZFT"? What is ZFT, has it been revealed on the show what it is?

23. shokhead

I said From IMDB, not from me. I just asked a question.

24. Tony Plachy

Went to IMDB on Fringe, first time I ever used IMDB for a TV show. The user comments are very negative. Not having ever used the site for anything other than looking up an actor when I cannot remember a name I have no idea how many people use the site for selecting TV shows or making viewing choices. I also have no idea if there is a bias there (e.g. like SHMF is heavy on loving the Beatles).

I do not share their opinion of the show, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

25. shokhead

I use IMBD a lot for actor info/background. Not so much on what others think but do read some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.