Fringe (FOX TV sci-fi/drama)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Have they implied that Walter acutally wrote the ZFT Manifesto? I missed that if they did.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gates became the richest man in America by commercially exploiting the inventions of others (like DOS and Windows), and by being extremely ambitious and a great -- albeit unscrupulous -- businessman. (For more, read Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire by James Wallace and Jim Erickson, or Barbarians Led by Bill Gates: Microsoft From The Inside by Jennifer Edstrom and Marlin Eller. Or this link on Microsoft on Wikipedia.)

Fringe producer J.J. Abrams has admitted that there are a lot of similarities between Gates and Bell. I never said all of the similarities were accurate, nor did I ever imply that Gates was a murderer.

The reviews on IMDB don't tell the whole story. As a longtime observer of television, I'm convinced the show's a cut above. But they certainly have their share of clunkers; this week's show was awful, for example. I suspect the May sweeps shows will be significantly better.

As to the mysterious ZFT: a lot of thoughtful conjectures (and possible answers) are over on Fringepedia. (Me, I'm stunned that somebody has built a website that thoroughly documents every single episode to the Nth degree.)

3. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Walters' one-liners slay me.:agree:

4. Some sort of terrorist group evidently being funded by Massive Dynamic.

5. Sorry. I misread the your post. It was late. I was drunk.

Just kidding. It was late though.:D

6. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Not directly, but that was the impression that I came away with from the episode when he reads the manifesto and compares the type to his typewriter (they match).

7. GreenDrazi

ZFT from the Fringepedia.

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I went to Fringepedia and was stunned too, but I did bookmark it. :o I assume it must be the work of someone who is unemployed right now. I was amazed to learn last year that some people who live in my area have set up a blog where they discuss everything about each epsiode of "Mad Men". While I like Mad Men and I enjoy that it is set in an area I live in, I can barely participate in this forum, how these people find the time to do this is beyond me. :confused:

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, he's easily the highlight of the show. Sometimes I think he's becoming a caricature, but I still love him. Whenever I hear him talk, he always makes me think of Professor Farnsworth from Futurama.

10. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

The photo is a still shot from the opening segment of Tuesday's episode where the first guy who gets killed, walks into this cool nightclub playing Bauhaus - "Bela Lugosi's Dead". That's all.

11. No, Walter didn't write it--William Bell did using the typewriter used to write the reports for their experiments....(at least that's MY theory).

12. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

The scene where Walter put the record on & did the little dance before putting the electronic rig on little bald boy's head (Mini-Me Observer?) cracked me up.

13. ScottRoad

ScottRoad Member

Did you really have to tell us that? I know you think that working in the movie industry is really cool and that we should all care but I do not. I would love to have been surprised at seeing Leonard Nimoy.

14. Tony Plachy

Chris, Don't be so harsh on Vidiot, the series already leaked that Nimoy would play Bell by using his voice two weeks ago. People who are really into video notice things like that. Just think, you are now up to speed with the pro's. ;)

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The news went out weeks ago. I figured everybody knew it already, and Nimoy's voice has already been on the ABC promos. Not a gigantic secret, and I'm revealing nothing.

Fringe isn't one of the shows I work on (mostly done in Vancouver now), so that stuff comes through second-hand. I worked on Lost on and off for 4 years, and it was really tough keeping my mouth shut on plot details there. Very hush-hush.

16. ScottRoad

ScottRoad Member

I wasn't aware that it was revealed weeks ago and did not realize that Nimoy's voice was used on the show. There was a poster earlier that put a box up indicating that IF you wanted a spoiler you could highlight the box to see it. Blurting out the info kind of ruins the fun of the show and the surprises.

I guess I should stop reading this thread if everything is going to be revealed by the "pros" who can't keep their mouths shut.

That may sound harsh, but the people who work in the industry (at least in my experience) can't wait to tell everyone about what they heard or know just to feel, and make it look, like they are important.

I used to work in the film and music industry and have no love for that kind of attitude.

Just my .02 cents.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nimoy was announced as being in the show two weeks ago in Entertainment Weekly and a dozen other entertainment news sites. It ain't a secret.

If I told you back in February when it was being shot up in Vancouver, then that might have been foul play.

18. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

Fringe has been renewed for a 22 episode second season. In a world full of bad news I can finally feel up about something.

19. Tony Plachy

:righton: I agree. It seems crazy to be up for a TV show, but you are right, most of what we get from the TV is bad news or stupid programming, it is nice to hear this.

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I haven't missed an episode, yet I missed hearing Nimoy's voice.

When was that..which episode?

Also, someone else mentioned the series is primarily shot here (in Vancouver).

I can usually spot local buildings or areas when watching shows filmed here, but can't say I've noticed anything familiar on Fringe.

Though maybe that explains how I keep hearing Walter's voice on a local insurance provider's radio commercials.

21. Tony Plachy

Here you go, see the last paragraph in the recap. Olive is Olivia as a child. The voice in Nimoy's

http://www.fox.com/fringe/recaps/s1_e17.htm

22. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Well now, Walter lost an important paper/document and he finds it between two LPs in his vinyl collection. :laugh::righton:

Nice to see Blair Brown's character Nina Sharp finally getting some airtime.

I happened to see the end of tonight's episode on FOX Rochester along with the preview to next week's season finale episode.

I also saw the end of the program about 2 minutes later on CTV Winnipeg. The preview to next week's episode on CTV was much different than the FOX preview.

Be careful with the spoiler if you don't want to know anything. The CTV preview reveals some stuff.

Two plot points for next week's episode.

A.

The CTV preview included an actual visual clip with William Bell and said "with guest appearance by Leonard Nimoy". In the clip Bell is talking face to face with Olivia.

In the FOX preview you only get a voice clip of Nimoy and it's almost hard to tell it's him.

B.

In the CTV preview Nina Sharp is alive and well.

In the FOX clip you don't know if she's dead from the gun shot or not.

23. Yes, last night's episode was pretty darn good overall. Nimoy's voice was pretty clear in the preview for next week however it was so brief and quick you could have missed who it was.

24. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

oh CRAP! There WAS an epi on this week? dang DVR didn't pick it up!! :realmad:

25. GreenDrazi

Try Hulu or Fox. You can stream the entire episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.