Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Fritz Lang Metropolis on DVD or Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShockControl, Jul 11, 2019.

1. misterjones

misterjones Forum Resident

Great thread. Wouldn't want it to die a lonely death, so . . .

One of the few movies I'd like to get in Blu-ray . . . I think. I have the Kino Lorber DVD and a 37" standard HDTV. Given the age of the film, do I really need the upgrade?

2. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Which Kino DVD do you have, the one with the 2002 restoration or The Complete Metropolis?

3. misterjones

4. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

I don't see why you shoudn't. You know the bits from Argentina have a rain of baked-in grain, so...

5. misterjones

My thinking was that, given the age of the movie and the fact that it is B&W, a Blu-ray upgrade would not be that noticeable (on my smallish TV).

longdist01 and mBen989 like this.
  6. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

longdist01 likes this.
  7. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

TwentySmallCigars and longdist01 like this.
  8. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

Fritz Lang was my Oma's granduncle, I kid you not!
    Sadly I got the genes from the other side of the family

longdist01 and wolfram like this.
  9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I have the blu-ray, and can't opine on the difference in picture quality nor on your TV. I can only say that the uncompressed soundtrack sounds wonderful! Again, I don't know how it differs from the lossy version on DVD nor on your sound system.

misterjones and longdist01 like this.
  10. misterjones

I don't see the point of having the Moroder version unless: (1) one is a film student interested in learning about the evolution of the film over the years; (2) one is interested in the soundtrack and is OK with watching a lesser quality film version to hear it; or (3) it has some sort of sentimental value (like an old worn out teddy bear one had as a child). I'm not sure I'm seeing much of an argument for any of these, though I suppose I'd like a copy if I was a film buff with a keen interest in Metropolis and/or Fritz Lang.

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

You have no need of the Moroder version, as it is quite ridiculous. I think what you have is sufficient, although personally I prefer the blu ray, you don’t seem that bothered by it. The only other up grade I look forward to is the actual, complete film. There are still a few scenes missing, but they might turn up eventually, like the Argentinian discovery.

misterjones likes this.
  12. misterjones

If I thought the Blu-ray version would knock my socks off, I’d buy it. I think it would have to have some extra features or soundtracks or really low price or something else to tip the scales. It’s still on the back-burner.

johnnyyen likes this.