From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Unfortunately, I have found this to be the case with so many "new" reissues from Japan, regardless of hype or comments that a reissue is an upgrade. Sometimes it is a real improvement, but so often it is virtually identical or, if different sound, it is hard to say one is better. Sometimes, though not often, it is a significant downgrade.

Given the cost, this is very discouraging when considering whether to buy a reissue.

I wish they would simply reissue ALL of Blossom's recordings not yet on CD (Daffodil Label), and start on her archive of unreleased tapes (Wahlberg Volume 2!)

2. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Oh, I would indeed love to have all of Blossom's recordings on CD!

I'm glad we get Japanese re-releases of hard-to-find CDs (especially when it's something I don't already have), but it would be nice to know which releases are just re-releases of old masterings and which are newly remastered. I would have skipped this re-release had I known it was essentially the same as the one I already have. That's why I'm hesitant to buy the 2008 release; the mini-LP sleeve is appealing, but if it's the same audio as what I already have, I don't want to spend the $50 or more that it would cost me to get it.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

If you have never checked it before, don’t miss the following treasure trove of songs, many of them from concert performances:

User Profile: BuzzStephens

It’s first and foremost a repository for Judy Garland material, but plenty of other singers are also part of the mix: June Christy, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Lena Horne, old-day Peggy Lee, Carmen McRae, Anita O’Day, Keely Smith, Dinah Washington, Margaret Whiting, etc.

(There is also the odd clip here and there by a few great singers who are even less frequently remembered than those already mentioned -- e.g., Frances Faye, Irene Kral, Abby Lincoln, Martha Raye, Annie Ross, Carol Sloane, Lee Wiley ...)

And don’t miss the famous sailor-swearing Julie London clip; it’s here, too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sometimes the CD/LP states that it is remastered; sometimes it is promotional material from the company that states that. Sometimes it may be a published review or a listener comment.

In many cases where it is stated that the recording was remastered, it was not remastered at all.

Sometimes, even when it was remastered, it might sound no different than a previous version, or it may be very subjective to say one is better than another.

Sometimes, when it is actually remastered, the remastered version sounds distinctly worse or even unbearable. (we all know examples)

So, the qualifier "remastered" usually has no direct meaning as to whether it is a definite sound quality upgrade (even aside from all of the personal preference issues).

I bet many of us have been seriously frustrated by the "remastered" hype when we spend good money on something that is often no better and sometimes worse.

Sometimes, it is superior. In my experience that is definitely less than half the time.

5. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

One Tribute to Billie Holiday or What Love Could Do

"It is Billie Holiday who was, and still remains,
    the greatest single musical influence on me.
    Lady Day is unquestionably the most important influence
    on American singing in the last 20 years."
    (Frank Sinatra)

And in the next 40 years since Frank said it, nothing has changed - Billie Holiday is still the most influential jazz singer of all time.
    Many singers paid tribute to Billy. I have a collection of their tribute albums. The best of them were recorded live.
    Today I would like to present you one such album. This is my No. 1 album, dedicated to Billie Holiday.

Kira Skov Kira Sings Billie Holiday

Who is this Kira Skov anyway?
    Kira Skov was born in Copenhagen in 1976. History is silent about her family… What we know by the translation from Danish that she started on her own very early, almost like Billie.
    “In 1993, she left Denmark and moved to London, where she met also a 17-year-old guitarist, Eve, whom she accompanied to the United States. Together with Eve, she formed a band Butterfly Species that existed until 1997. At that time, she left Eve and traveled to London, where she lived for another four years. Here she searched for a band and began writing her own songs. During this period, she recorded with guitarist Jeff Beck.

Kira moved back to Denmark in 2002. She received a scholarship from the Statens Kunstfond, which made it possible for her to concentrate on writing songs. That same year, she formed "Kira & The Kindred Spirits", and the band recorded the first record. Politiken's reviewer Erik Jensen called her “The greatest natural talent long seen in Danish rock” in the review of her debut concert with the band at Rust. In the following years, the group distinguished itself as a live orchestra with Kira Skov as the dynamic powerhouse. The group recorded several records in the following years with good reviews.
    In 2007, Kira performed with Lars H.U.G. and his band in 13 performances of the ballet ‘Rhapsody’ on the Royal Theatre's old stage, with original material, hand-picked from her three releases with Kira and the Kindred Spirits. Choreographer Nicolo Fonte directed the ballet, with costumes by Mads Nørgaard. The performance was a great success and she starred in a film.
    In October 2007, it was announced that her band, Kira & the Kindred Spirits, was disbanding, and that Kira Skov would then pursue a solo career.

Since then, she has collaborated with a number of different musicians, including with trip-hop star Tricky. In the summer of 2008, she participated in an extensive world tour with his band at festivals in Europe, Japan, Korea and Russia. She has worked with Peter Schneidermann from Sort Sol, and they jointly created the band Persona. She also recorded an album with the Swedish producer Tore Johansson under the name The Gospel, and has collaborated with other artists such as Sebastian, Steffen Brandt.
    In 2008, Kira Skov's first solo album “The Rail Train, the Meadow, the Freeway and the Shadows”, was released with backup from the band The Ghost Riders. She then released the album “Look Up Ahead” in September 2010 produced with producer and musician John Parish (recorded in Iceland).”

I emphasize all this that we can see, Kira has never been a jazz singer, and suddenly, in 2011, as a big surprise for all her fans, she gave a series of concerts with a Billie Holiday tribute: “Kira Skov sings Billie Holiday”, resulting the CD release “Memories of Days Gone By” (digipak) in Europe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This album was released in Japan under its original title "Kira Skov Sings Billie Holiday" and with a slightly different cover photo and content (out of print).
    (Comparing both versions, I can say that the Japanese disc sounds better):

[​IMG]

(translation)
    An album by Kira Scoff, a singer who is very popular in Denmark. The news that she has been active as a rock musician and will release an album singing the jazz icon Billie Holiday was surprised in her home country of Denmark, covering not only Billie Holiday but also Nina Simone. This work, composed of original songs, was selected as one of the best jazz albums in 2011 in Denmark. The soul-shaking voice and the song that reflects emotions have a unique and strong charm.”

How did this happen?

Kira explained this herself:
    [​IMG]

Devil Is in Details
    Speaking ahead, we see Kira as a hell of an emotional jazz singer.
    What distinguishes Kira Skov from other jazz singers. She has such an irresistible high-mid vibrato that mixing with her naked emotions creates such a powerful mixture that penetrates you to the core. This vibrato borders on the natural vibration of the human voice right before crying. This creates the illusion that she is on the verge of bursting into tears, but this is just a masterful illusion as she is in complete control. Track No. 2 "Good Morning Heartache" and No. 3 "The Man I Love" are indicative in this regard. She also often uses the “concept of emotional detachment” (see post #272) here and there for a very short time. You have to watch this video carefully to catch all these details.

“I hope you will enjoy listening to this record as much as I have enjoyed recording it” -- Kira

Kira Skov Sings Billie Holiday Part 1
    (She was backed by an amazing band that received applause all the time)

Kira Skov Sings Billie Holiday Part 2
    Kira has prepared two additional songs for this concert, which she sings at the very beginning of the Part 2.
    Kira wrote music for many songs with her husband, bassist Nikolai Munch-Hensen, and also wrote the lyrics. The first song "My Man" is one of those songs. (In 2018, Kira released the album "Echo of You", dedicated to her husband, who died at the age of 39). In the second part, she also sings a terrific version of the original "My Man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJEvz1ogsaI

Say Goodbye to Jazz
    Her love for Billy has elevated her performance to the level of our finest jazz singers. And it would have been natural for her to continue doing jazz with such a great jazz musician behind her. No, jazz was just a short stop on the way of her musical career. She said goodbye not only to jazz, but also to “crying vibrato,” her own singing technique that she would never use after her only jazz album.
    In short, Kira Skov has recorded 14 solo albums and received many awards.

Her new 15th album is due in the spring of 2021 and will feature many star guests. Collaboration with other artists, composing and performing in different musical genres are Kira's favorite things. It's like a challenge for her.
    She has already revealed the first single for this new album "Dusty Kate" with singer Mette Lindberg. The song is written in the style of art-rock of Kate Bush, who performed in this subgenre of prog rock in the 70s. As a Kate Bush fan, I can say: great.
    “The idea for the song arose one evening when some friends were gathered together in my living room and I sang along with Mette. She sat there, just as beautiful as Dusty Springfield, and there was something about her singing that reminded me of Kate Bush. The song is a tribute to these iconic singers and storytellers. I love Mette’s energy and think we bring out something special in each other.” (Kira Skov) Please try it on Youtube.

Bonus tracks
    3 new songs Kira wrote specifically for the tribute to Billie album, as she said, “to complement the rest”.
    One of them ‘My Man’ and a cover of Nina Simone ‘Four Women’ were presented at the concert, two more - on CDs. They are beautiful songs performed with the same approach and recorded with the same band:

Flower of the Evening
    https://youtu.be/xV6sE3UlyMQ

Am I Mad? (Live TV version)
    This song was written in Russian Romance style.
    https://youtu.be/9-fsvyq4FW8

Exclusively Versatile Singer
    When you are gifted like Kira Skov, you can write and perform in any genre and succeed.

Hollow Talk - Kira Skov & The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live)
    https://youtu.be/alQB_Mc3L6k

Adam Raised a Cain (Springsteen tribute) Live
    https://youtu.be/USpV35cmBbY

[​IMG]

Love from Kira

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    kennyluc1, bluemooze, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  6. The Swinger

The Swinger Well-Known Member

Somebody should tell Analogue Productions there is no interest in audiophile vinyl reissues for classical music. Have you checked their web site:

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

7. The Swinger

Speaking of remasters, anyone else anxiously awaiting the audiophile 180g vinyl reissue of Peggy Lee's Black Coffee coming out later this month on Analogue Productions? It's been remastered by Ryan K. Smith, whose work has been consistently excellent on everything I've gotten from Impex and Vinyl Me Please, and pressed at QRP. Their 2020 reissue of Helen Merrill's eponymous debut with Clifford Brown remastered by Kevin Gray was also excellent. I have a Verve Master Edition CD of Black Coffee but have a feeling I will be upgrading to this new release.

Peggy Lee-Black Coffee-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Ridin'High and bluemooze like this.
  8. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Not sure if I've seen this thread before... and in fairness, I havent looked at all 12 pages..so this may have been posted before.

I certainly love lots of the recordings of Billie Holiday, Ella F. , Sarah V (I even got to see Sarah Vaughn live!), and so many others mentioned (also got to see a live concert of Blossom Dearie about 10-15 years ago, was great!)

I wanted to mention one particular singer, who sings in this kind of style, but sings a lot of 'non-standard' material ----- Barb Jungr.

She has whole albums doing the songs of Bob Dylan, and covers such artists as Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Beatles, Richard Thompson, Jacques Brel, and lots more. I've seen her many times in concert as well, great live performer too.

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Two singers I adore alongside the Mount Rushmore of Billie/Ella/Sarah are Chris Conner and Helen Merrill.

I do have to check out Anita O'Day . . .

bluemooze and toilet_doctor like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Barb Jungr is great. When she performs in the US, I wish she would play more locations.

JazzFanatic and mike s in nyc like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Start with the Verve label era of Anita. Try Carmen McRae as well.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Of course, there are many RCA Living Stereo LP reissues, as those have very wide appeal to audiophiles beyond the more limited classical market. But the world of serious students of classical composers and performers still heavily embraces the CD format (including SACD). The marketplace for CD boxsets, especially large "megaboxes", in classical is extremely active, with many releases every month.

.crystalised. and The Swinger like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

I personally love this remastered in 24-bit from original sources 2CD set:

[​IMG]
    Anita O'Day Cocktail Hour 2CD set Columbia River 2000

Reviews:
    "Second only to Capitol's "Ultra-Lounge" series, Columbia/Allegro's "Cocktail Hour" is an impressive homage to swingtime artists both before and during the Swank Era.
    The Anita O'Day entry in the set offers up a two-disc collection of Anita's best work. The sound processing is good, but taken from the original, mono sources. As such, the listener should not expect state-of-the-art soundscapes or options. This is an old-school sound, which has merits all its own.
    The highlight here (for me, anyway), is the zippy "Massachusetts". Other winners are "Tabby the Cat", "Let Me off Uptown", "How High the Moon", "Penthouse Serenade", "Stop! The Red Light's On", and the odd-but-fun-sounding "Murder, He Says". Anita also offer up a great version of "Ain't Misbehavin'" with shades of Ella and Billy Holliday mixed in.
    This is a great collection, and a good value for the price.
    For film fans, you may recognize the tune on Disc 2, "Drum Boogie". It was featured as one of Sugarpuss O'Shea's numbers in the Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck screwball comedy "Ball of Fire
    ". (amazon, US, September 25, 2002)

"Anita Swings!
    This collection of Anita O'Day songs is an excellent value - 2 CDs for the typical price of 1. Many of the classic songs she is known for. Excellent for Lindy Hop dancing.
    The sound quality is such that many of the songs sound a little thin, but I don't know if they could sound better, considering they were recorded in the 1940s.
    One other problem I had with the CD is the lack of liner notes- I would have liked to know when the songs were recorded and with what band. I guess that's the tradeoff for the lower price
    ." (amazon, US, September 14, 2001)

I would start with this one...

ggjjr, ALAN SICHERMAN and bluemooze like this.
  14. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Ordered. Thanks!

bluemooze and toilet_doctor like this.
  15. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

This Jazz Divas Gold set is Great! Thanks for the recommendation.

16. The Swinger

Got my copy of the newly released vinyl Black Coffee and listened to it this week--I can highly recommend it. Lee's vocals are front and center throughout, very intimate, very "present," and the accompaniment is perfectly rendered as well. Don't think my CD copy is going to get much use from now on.

17. toilet_doctor

We talked about Julie London’s singles collection CDs (posts #201-205).
    Now it's time to talk about her albums.

30 Albums of Julie London

(from the Japan Mini LP CD thread)

Julie London 2010 Mini LP CD Collection will be reprinted by Universal at the price of regular jewel case CDs ($13.54). First 15 albums in September and last 15 albums in October.

Julie London 95th Anniversary Mini LP Collection
    (Price down 2010 reprint)

Vol. 1

Sep. 22, 2021

(CD)
    Julie London Julie Is Her Name
    Julie London Lonely Girl
    Julie London Calendar Girl
    Julie London About The Blues
    Julie London Make Love To Me
    Julie London Julie
    Julie London Julie Is Her Name Volume Two
    Julie London London By Night
    Julie London Swing Me An Old Song
    Julie London Your Number. Please...
    Julie London Julie... At Home
    Julie London Around Midnight
    Julie London Send For Me
    Julie London Whatever Julie Wants
    Julie London Sophisticated Lady

Vol. 2

Oct. 18, 2021

(CD)
    Julie London Love Letters
    Love On The Rocks
    Julie London Latin In A Satin Mood
    Julie London The End Of The World
    Julie London The Wonderful World Of
    Julie London You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry
    Julie London In Person At The Americana
    Julie London Our Fair Lady
    Julie London Feeling Good
    Julie London All Through The Night
    Julie London For The Night People
    Julie London Nice Girls Don't Stay For Breakfast
    Julie London With Body & Soul
    Julie London Easy Does It
    Julie London Yummy, Yummy, Yummy

In the 2010 Mini LP Collection, the volume number is on the front of each OBI,
    and the album number is on the front and spine of the OBI
    (It was remastered edition, but I couldn't find any info in credit notes):
    [​IMG]

(translation)
    Her name is Julie Vol. 1 [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “[Julie London 95th Anniversary Paper Jacket Collection Price Down reissue]
    Flax-colored hair, distinctive beauty, clear blue eyes, and glamorous style. To commemorate the 95th anniversary of the birth of an eternal idol (born September 26, 1926), she reprinted the Liberty label's paper jacket collection (30 titles in total), which was released in 2010 and recorded a hit, is reprinted at a price down.

A memorable debut including her million seller "Cry Me a River". A masterpiece sung with a lot of emotion with a simple composition of only guitar and bass. Julie London's memorable first album, signed with the Liberty label, is an unforgettable work that has become a de facto success. The charm of Julie, who dominated the world with her unique husky voice, including "Cry Me a River" which recorded her million seller, is summarized here. She has a sophisticated sense and emotional singing voice against the background of a simple composition of only guitar and bass. Her bewitching jacket is also her charm. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Barney Kessel (guitar), Ray Leatherwood (b) Original release: 1956.”

Live on the Rosemary Clooney TV Show

[​IMG]

Lonely Girl [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A romantic album that sings the sadness and suffering of love with a single guitar accompaniment. In her second album from Liberty, Julie focuses on the astringent numbers that sang the sadness of her lost love and the suffering of love. Julie sings with a slightly lazy look. From there, an indescribable ennui mood is created. Her accompaniment is only one guitar of Al Viola. It's the simplest of many Julie albums, and it's an unbearable piece for fans who can fully enjoy her unique emotions. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Al Viola (g) Original release: 1956.”

Fools Rush In
    https://youtu.be/mz0TVfuw3aM

Moments Like This
    https://youtu.be/a8QS9hVdCcU

[​IMG]

Calendar Girl [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “The most fun and popular board that sang the title song with each month in order from January. As the title suggests, this is an interesting project album that starts in January like a calendar and sings only the numbers attached to each month. There are some famous songs such as " I'll Remember April", "Memphis in June" and "September in Rain", but it is interesting that more than half of them are the numbers written for this album. Julie sings while taking advantage of the characteristics of her melancholic voice. The jacket with Julie in a swimsuit is also fun. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Pete King (arr, cond) Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1956.”

June in January
    https://youtu.be/owHo-2cqeDU

Melancholy March
    https://youtu.be/3h2kTzFw5ts

September in Rain
    https://youtu.be/49APFUAenW8

[​IMG]

About the Blues [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A collection of sexy blues that sang the sadness of love. "Blues in the Night" is one of the famous songs of this album. Julie, with her sophisticated flair, picks up and sings only her blues numbers. In addition to masterpieces, it also includes hidden blues secrets and works written for this album. This project aims to express a woman's heart through the blues. Julie's straightforward singing clearly reveals her loneliness as a woman - an impressive work. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Russ Garcia (arr, cond) Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1957.”

Shadow Woman
    https://youtu.be/tXJ2Kf4IWYk

A Nightingale Can Sing The Blues
    https://youtu.be/qOzOf-O2ins

Meaning Of The Blues
    https://youtu.be/7PFUrtKSiTQ

Bouquet Of Blues
    https://youtu.be/MzL_9v4CaMM

[​IMG]

Make Love to Me [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A hidden popular board full of bewitching charm. With the strings in the background, she sings a messy woman's heart to the tender. With the strings-based Russ Garcia orchestra in the background. Listen to her singing voice with a lot of atmospheres. In addition to famous songs such as "Alone Together" and "Your My Thrill", there are a total of 12 songs with a bitter but tasty love number such as "Go Slow". Under the dim light, the whispering soft Julie's expression is the best. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Russ Garcia Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1957.”

Go Slow
    https://youtu.be/Bp8N9Ses1Ow

Your My Thrill
    https://youtu.be/Ilswtyj2z8k

Lover Man
    https://youtu.be/zNPIopXfaE4

Body And Soul
    https://youtu.be/1FaEa0J-Y48

18. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

(translation)
    Julie [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “The jazzy piece that co-starred with an orchestra. Julie sings comfortably against the backdrop of an orchestra led by West Coast pianist Jimmy Rowles. Swingy tastes such as "Somebody Loves Me" and "Indiana". Moist ballads such as "Dream of You" are complemented by solos by West Coast virtuosos. One of her Julie's albums that has a jazzy charm. The annoying jacket is also very attractive. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Jimmy Rowles Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1958.”

Bye Bye Blackbird (Live in Japan, 1964)

Midnight Sun
    https://youtu.be/gjavJghCsVw

Dream of You
    https://youtu.be/VbwO3hfz_QM

Somebody Loves Me
    https://youtu.be/3ARqN5rcuxE

[​IMG]

Her Name is Julie Vol.2 [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A sequel to the masterpiece "Her name is Julie". The accompaniment is also guitar and bass only. She nostalgicly sings "Blue Moon" and "Goody Goody". The album was planned in response to the success of "Vol. 1", and it is common that only the guitar and bass are backed up. The guitar is played by Howard Roberts, Julie's second marriage partner this year. Most of the songs are standard songs that were hit in the 1920s and 30s, and the works have more nostalgic colors. Because the back is simple, Julie's jazz spirit can be felt straight. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Howard Roberts (guitar), Red Mitchell (b) Original release: 1958.”

How Long Has This Been Going On
    https://youtu.be/10l2yezG4FE

Blue Moon
    https://youtu.be/wBLjGE8Wl1M

What Is This Thing Called Love
    https://youtu.be/eLpWpueKKBo

[​IMG]

London by Night [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A popular album that tells the story of love, from "encounter" to "parting" to "new hope". "Love story" written by Julie London. Julie sings the story of meeting a man, having a sweet love and parting, choosing numbers with various situations. A piece that is fascinating to the stern expressions such as "Mad About the Boy " and "In the Middle of a Kiss". Like the album title, it is a work that makes you feel the mood of an adult in Julie's album. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Pete King Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1959.”

Mad About the Boy
    https://youtu.be/ZhI56EDEZ6g

In the Middle of a Kiss
    https://youtu.be/J2X8hWenRXw

That Old Feeling
    https://youtu.be/AI92yU_E4v4

[​IMG]

Swing Me An Old Song [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A famous planning board that sang famous American folk songs with a jazzy arrangement. A number of old songs that can't help driving nostalgia, which can be called the home of the heart for Americans. Julie… Listen to her heartwarming singing, picking up only such nostalgic melodies. From the 18th century "Downtown Strutters' Ball" and 19th century foster melody "De Camptown Races" to the famous melody of the early 20th century, the hearty singing voice is wonderful. This is a piece that highlights Julie's intimate personality. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Jimmy Rowles Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1959.”

Cuddle Up A Little Closer

https://youtu.be/6C51PlYyY9c

Comin' Thru The Rye

https://youtu.be/PZZqRkrjGt0

Three O'Clock in the Morning

https://youtu.be/JAmjXwg6a6w

Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home?

https://youtu.be/kuY8AF5uXLI

[​IMG]

Your Number Please [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A gorgeous album that sang the hit song of the male singer Love Ballad. Arranged and conducted by André Previn. Great male singers who have made the history of American jazz vocals. A work planned based on the concept of singing only the hit numbers that Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Matt Dennis, Mel Torme and others had made in honor of them. The song selection is centered around the ballad number, and Julie sings with a generous feeling, taking advantage of the charm of her plump singing voice. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), André Previn (arr, cond) Original release: 1959.”

Angel Eyes
    https://youtu.be/xtStmo4YQoo

One For My Baby

https://youtu.be/66uAN7CG684

It Could Happen To You
    https://youtu.be/HNaWylCj7-Y

Learnin' The Blues
    https://youtu.be/rv-BG338VaU

19. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

(translation)
    Julie at Home [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A swingy masterpiece recorded in her home living room with her wonderful members. For that reason, being able to hear her singing voice more relaxed than usual is a major point of her work. Her backing is decorated with small combos such as the virtuoso Jimmy Rowles, and Julie's jazz sense is well represented in her singing voice that swings in a relaxed atmosphere. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Bob Flanagan (tb), Emile Richardson (vib), Jimmy Rowles (p), Al Viola (g), Don Bagley (b), Earl Palmer (ds) Original Edition Released: 1960.”

Sentimental Journey

The Thrill Is Gone
    https://youtu.be/Oqbf1BHFRHE

By Myself
    https://youtu.be/CkKJgY4EQqM

You've Stepped Out Of A Dream
    https://youtu.be/WUbiPbTnJrw

You've Changed
    https://youtu.be/fmtpZcyvpXs

[​IMG]

Around Midnight [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A super popular board that sang the famous standard of the night moody with a gorgeous orchestra in the background. A 1960 work with a title that struck a masterpiece of Thelonious Monk entitled "Around Midnight". It can be said that this album, which is a collection of masterpieces that are perfect for the dull mood of the night, including the title song, has a plan that is truly Julie-like. It's so nice that she sings the hits of her seniors such as Peggy Lee's "Black Coffee" and June Christy's "Something Cool" with her unique ennui atmosphere... (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Dick Reynolds (arr, cond) Original release: 1960.”

Title track
    https://youtu.be/z23I8WYB__c

Black Coffee
    https://youtu.be/gKZxqIlHbdw

Misty
    https://youtu.be/Cd_rrDWDfn0

Lush Life
    https://youtu.be/viz6gKxU2Kc

You And The Night And The Music
    https://youtu.be/t-R1FJfmWQ8

[​IMG]

Send for Me [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A unique masterpiece that sings blues with an orchestra and chorus led by the master Jimmy Rowles. The title song "Send For Me" is Nat King Cole's 1957 hit number. This is a unique album in which Julie shows her approach to her earthy blues songs. Needless to say, she sings with her smart taste. The fun of hearing the famous "Evenin’" and "Everyday I Have The Blues" with sophisticated interpretations! Jimmy Rowles's orchestra dynamically excites. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Jimmy Rowles (arr, cond) Original release: 1961.”

Evenin'
    https://youtu.be/tzu7ceVBX0Y

I Must Have That Man
    https://youtu.be/OKqLvcq9DsI

Trav'lin' Light
    https://youtu.be/qP2Ytpmp3qE

Everyday (I Have The Blues)
    https://youtu.be/qP2Ytpmp3qE

[​IMG]

Whatever Julie Wants [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    [Julie London 95th Anniversary Paper Jacket Collection Price Down] Flax-colored hair, distinctive beauty, clear blue eyes, and glamorous style. In commemoration of the 95th anniversary of the birth of the eternal idol (born September 26, 1926), the Liberty label's paper jacket collection (30 titles in total) released in 2010 and recorded a hit is reprinted at a price down. Sing an adult female drama. A glossy piece of a mellow jacket with fur. Julie's jacket with gorgeous jewels and fur. Julie, who succeeded in her liberty and became a singer representing the label, talks more and more about love songs. Except for Peggy Lee's hit "Why Don't You Do Light" and Cole Porter's masterpiece "Love for Sale", there are many sober songs, but all of them have beautiful melodies at once. I am drawn to the world of Julie. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personel> Julie London (vocals) Original release: 1961

Why Don't You Do Right
    https://youtu.be/P2f40eQcYXk

My Heart Belongs To Daddy
    https://youtu.be/1R_0bU-L33A

Love for Sale
    https://youtu.be/QqDQihR68Tw

Do It Again
    https://youtu.be/v9XArKEaoBI

[​IMG]

Sophisticated Lady [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    [Julie London 95th Anniversary Paper Jacket Collection Price Down] Flax-colored hair, distinctive beauty, clear blue eyes, and glamorous style. In commemoration of the 95th anniversary of the birth of the eternal idol (born September 26, 1926), the Liberty label's paper jacket collection (30 titles in total) released in 2010 and recorded a hit is reprinted at a price down. One of the gems that collects only beautiful ballads, including the famous Duke Ellington title song. "Sophisticated Lady" is a wonderful album title that fits perfectly with Julie London. Julie sings and spells her ballad number, starting with this song written by Duke Ellington. Most of her repertoire is quite astringent, but all of them are her good songs with a deep taste, and Julie sings perfectly in her own style. One of Julie's favorite works. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personel> Julie London (vocals) Original release: 1962.”

Title track
    https://youtu.be/qm3w8qd3Vbw

Bewitched
    https://youtu.be/AXWGt2XqZbg

Blame It On My Youth
    https://youtu.be/SEXTaNQI5Tk

If I Should Lose You
    https://youtu.be/GfsgvjdzRM0 4953

20. toilet_doctor

Vol. 2, contains 15 lesser-known albums by Julie London, some of them very rare.

[​IMG]

(translation)
    Love Letters [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “[Julie London 95th Anniversary Paper Jacket Collection Price Down reissue Vol. 2]
    Flax-colored hair, distinctive beauty, clear blue eyes, and glamorous style. In commemoration of the 95th anniversary of the birth of the eternal idol (born September 26, 1926), the Liberty label's paper jacket collection (30 titles in total) released in 2010 and is reprinted at a price down.

A popular board that includes many familiar standards, including the title song that was used in commercials in Japan and became a hit. Introduced in 1962, the album features hit numbers from the 1950s and early 1960s, as well as songs that revived and became a hot topic during this period. It's fun to cook Rosemary Clooney's blockbuster "Come On-A My House" with Julie's flavor. The soft strings arranged by Bobby Troup are also beautiful, and you can fully enjoy the charm of Julie's heartwarming singing voice with a pop sense. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Bobby Troup (arr) & Strings Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1962.”

I Love You Porgy

Title track

https://youtu.be/xFvzHdMWmag

All The Way
    https://youtu.be/uAVhvUL6ds4

What A Difference A Day Makes
    https://youtu.be/z4SfFOSl-9M

Come On-A My House
    https://youtu.be/6WtYbGAmSYc

[​IMG]

Love On The Rocks [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “As the title suggests, this is a masterpiece of melancholy that sang with emotion the sadness of a woman who was torn in love. With the sweet orchestra arranged by Pete King in the background, Julie London's many love songs always have a slight bitterness. A number of romantic songs such as "What's New," "A Cottage for Sale," and "I'll Be Seeing You." In her sophisticated expression, she is filled with the loneliness and irritability of a woman's heart. This is also an irresistible piece for Julie fans. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Pete King (arr) & Orchestra Original Edition Released: 1962.”

I'll Be Seeing You
    https://youtu.be/WLYwCpRYJRk

The Man That Got Away
    https://youtu.be/bb4kCIwj3-E

A Cottage for Sale
    https://youtu.be/mP9xfPve1EE

What's New
    https://youtu.be/csoUAjHX-XM

The End Of A Love Affair
    https://youtu.be/FMQwZluIaCA

Willow Weep For Me
    https://youtu.be/IQp_QkYc1io

[​IMG]

Latin in a Satin Mood [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A masterpiece that sexyly sang a Latin melody of melancholy and passion. Julie London sang all the familiar numbers in English lyrics, including her works "Besame Mucho", "Perfidia" and "Amor", which approached her many Latin masterpieces. Arny Freeman's arrangement, which got her acupoints, fits perfectly, adding the passion and sorrow of the Latin melody to the sexy taste of Julie, making it a very unique and attractive piece. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Arny Freeman (arr, cond) Original release: 1963.”

Sway
    https://youtu.be/8pq8gIerhlA

Perfidia
    https://youtu.be/htJ8gWEg8Fs

Besame Mucho
    https://youtu.be/Z_K70XzcpLY

[​IMG]

To the End of the World [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A popular album that sings only her popular hits such as the title song and "Fly Me to the Moon". A number of popular songs that recorded hits as pop songs and have been sung and become the standard since then. A 1963 album featuring such an eternal pop hit. A number of familiar masterpieces, including the title song that Skeeter Davis made a big hit. Not only "Desafinado" and "Fly Me to the Moon" but also "I Remember You", which was revival at that time, are cooked in bossa nova, which is typical of this era. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Arny Freeman (arr, cond) Original release: 1963.”

I Left My Heart In San Francisco (Live)
    https://youtu.be/Q6-fRN9l_BI

Fly Me To The Moon
    https://youtu.be/rvyfow0zkN8

I Remember You

https://youtu.be/pfxtv3E_8Dk

Chances Are
    https://youtu.be/XeY6sJ7kM78

Slightly Out Of Tune (Desafinado)
    https://youtu.be/mr2KhLgbXec

[​IMG]

The Wonderful World of [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A fun album that sang 60's pop hits & standards with a pop arrangement. The world of pop hit songs and standard numbers of the 1960s sung by Julie London. Her warm singing voice and rich shadows are reflected in Julie's unique personality. Her hits such as "Taste of Honey" and "Say Wonderful Things", including her own hit number "I'm Coming Back to You". In addition, you can enjoy the scent of pop touch as a whole, such as "Love for Sale". (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Arny Freeman (arr, cond.) Original release: 1963.”

A Taste Of Honey
    https://youtu.be/iLeFpSSKJuk

Little Things Mean A Lot
    https://youtu.be/pdAEnOGi2cc

Love for Sale
    https://youtu.be/rN2zbAfc4fk

I'm Coming Back to You
    https://youtu.be/zeIQynVIShI

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is not clear to me whether the mini-LP series is being reissued as identical mini-LPs or as CDs in plastic jewel boxes.

Additionally, it is not clear to me if the two extra CDs of singles are being reissued for general sale. The first 2010 edition made those extremely rare, as you had to purchase the entire CD series, send clipped coupons AND have a Japan address.

I bought the original mini-LP series and got the two bonus CDs of singles.

But I never got the two separately sold slipcases for the mini-LPs. Are those available anywhere at all, used or new?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  22. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

(translation)
    You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A stylish album that coolly sings old and modern hit numbers with exquisite song selection. The title song is a pop number hit by the British duo group "The Caravelles" in 1963. Buddy Johnson's "Since I Fell For You" was also a revival hit by Lenny Welch this year. An album in which standard, country pop, and movie hits are arranged in a well-balanced manner. Not only as a jazz singer, it is a work that you can enjoy Julie's wide range of senses. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Arny Freeman (arr, cond) Original release: 1964.”

Night Life (Live, 1964)

Charade
    https://youtu.be/Mr7S9ApnDzc

Since I Fell For You
    https://youtu.be/Jq18Mc1_VPA

[​IMG]

In Person at the Americana [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “The only live album that recorded a gorgeous show with a big band and a male chorus. This work, was recorded at "Hotel Americana" in Manhattan. From the intro, which has a slightly exaggerated feel, Julie listens to a vivid singing with a dynamic big band in the background. Julie London's live show shows a vivid appearance that is a bit different from the calm atmosphere in the studio. It's a fun stage for Julie, who is swingy and full of dynamism. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Don Bagley (arr, cond.) Original release: 1964.”

Send for Me
    https://youtu.be/4Id-fs63BlY

Kansas City
    https://youtu.be/UpsVykohsxk

My Baby Just Cares For Me
    https://youtu.be/aKeSpfa3gGQ

Medley: Basin Street Blues/ St. Louis Blues/ Baby, Baby All The Time
    https://youtu.be/G3MOUDNNt4c

I Love Paris
    https://youtu.be/mR4MISxRCe0

Bye, Bye Black Bird
    https://youtu.be/O67lRDoDGfk

Cry Me A River
    https://youtu.be/ufuHeb98hE8

[​IMG]

Our Fair Lady [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A collection of movie music with only blockbuster songs. Also includes " Boy On A Dolphin", which was a hit by Julie's original. Julie London sings only the movie's hit numbers. For Julie, who was also active in movies and TV dramas as an actress, the feelings towards these numbers may be special. Julie sings obediently, making the best use of her melody and the taste of lyrics. From such a place, her unique delicate expression is born. Including "More", which is sung softly like whispering, this is also the world of movie music unique to Julie. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals) Original release: 1965.”

Boy On A Dolphin
    https://youtu.be/QArtb3nCC8I

Call Me Irresponsible
    https://youtu.be/V9sOhZy4cYo

As Time Goes By
    https://youtu.be/AU10qLP5-xY

More
    https://youtu.be/MLU4vxW8kt0

The Days Of Wine And Roses
    https://youtu.be/VpjmhEOGVPg

[​IMG]

Feeling Good [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “Singing jazzy hits against the dynamic sound of West Coast virtuoso Gerald Wilson. With the dynamic sound of Gerald Wilson's big band representing the West Coast, Julie picks up and sings hits from the mid-1960s. Among them are jazz rock numbers like Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man", but Julie sings sexy in her style. Her Satchmo hit "Hello Dolly" is also fun to slow down her tempo and do at her own pace. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Gerald Wilson Big Band Original Edition Released: 1965.”

Hello Dolly!
    https://youtu.be/HITAr5J7zRk

Girl Talk
    https://youtu.be/mt4aqhkn54k

Won't Someone Please Belong To Me
    https://youtu.be/BEYbxDiz75c

Summertime
    https://youtu.be/15KJ2OVfJGU

Feeling Good
    https://youtu.be/HmYSRuOVY_s

Watermelon Men
    https://youtu.be/yitnC_Ogc8Y

[​IMG]

All Through the Night [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A masterpiece of jazz vocals tributes to the master composer Cole Porter. A collection of Cole Porter works sung by Julie London. For her, this work, which features only one composer's number, was planned and produced as a tribute album to Porter, who died in the fall of 1964, the year before the recording. The porter melody with urban sophistication is a perfect repertoire for Julie. Good support for combos centered around Bud Shank also shines. One of Julie's albums that gives off a particularly jazzy charm. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Bud Shank (fl, as), Joe Pass (g), Russ Freeman (p, arr), Monty Budwick (b), Corinne Bailey (ds) Original release: 1966.”

Get Out Of Town
    https://youtu.be/5zOwa2tVSKU

Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
    https://youtu.be/fSsMWZ2Efa0

So In Love
    https://youtu.be/0jQw27mzJdk

All Through The Night
    https://youtu.be/HMtr0M-UPXk

At Long Last Love
    https://youtu.be/Q_FPwoS83CY

23. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

(translation)
    For the Night People [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A collection of gems that sing gently to her lovers who spend her long nights. Julie London also suits the mood of "night". There are 11 songs that are perfect for such a "night" atmosphere. Julie's singing voice gently speaks as if it sneaks into the hearts of her listeners. The backing is handled by the trio and strings of the famous West Coast bassist Don Bagley, and the arrangement is also done by Bagley himself. The sound of the guitar that snuggles up to the soft Julie's singing voice is also very beautiful. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Don Bagley (arr) Original release: 1966.”

When The Sun Comes Out

Am I Blue?
    https://youtu.be/UubRkeu64Hw

I'll Never Smile Again
    https://youtu.be/4rEVvm3qE94

I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
    https://youtu.be/ZjzU7n23FyA

I Hadn't Anyone 'Till You
    https://youtu.be/5YWKDEEuuTY

Can't Get Out Of This Mood
    https://youtu.be/OEefPbcOhCY

[​IMG]

Nice Girls Don't Stay for Breakfast [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A collection of slow ballads with warm vocals in an intimate atmosphere. Continuing from the previous work, Don Bagley is in charge of the arrangement. Small combos centered around pianos and guitars provide astringent support. It is wonderful that a very relaxing atmosphere is created from such a place. The songs are mainly ballad numbers from the 1920s to the 1930s. Julie lets you listen to a melody with a nostalgic atmosphere with a delicate nuanced expression. This is one of her later works with the most intimate atmosphere. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Don Bagley (arr) Original release: 1967.”

I've Got A Crush On You
    https://youtu.be/AWtxJl-mwqY

I Didn't Know What Time It Was
    https://youtu.be/R3aMoQgqH8A

You Go To My Head
    https://youtu.be/NrUAn732_Wg

Baby, Won't You Please Come Home
    https://youtu.be/od4jNlMeDAA

There Will Never Be Another You
    https://youtu.be/2jvhiLvNGgc

[​IMG]

With Body and Soul [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “A wonderful work that sang earthy blues, gospel, and traditional songs with a feeling. As the subtitle "The Incomparable" suggests, this is a piece that should give you a taste of Julie London's unique personality. With a jazzy orchestra in the background, Julie with a slightly bluesy scent is quite nice. She has traditional numbers such as "C.C. Rider" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band" with a smart interpretation. R & B touch songs are also sung with a unique Julie feel. (Masamichi Okazaki) <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Kirk Stuart (arr) Original release: 1967.”

C.C. Rider
    https://youtu.be/pVcr9aQ1Lco

Alexander's Ragtime Band
    https://youtu.be/TdIUDgIhcEA

I Got A Sweetie
    https://youtu.be/_bQSByqxfsE

[​IMG]

Easy Dose It [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “The ultimate ballad collection that represents the latter half of Liberty. Slow down the tempo and sing a relaxing adult mood. Julie London's ballads are unique and wonderful, but the album sings all the songs at a much slower tempo. From that lazy atmosphere, the highlight is the area where the sex appeal unique to Julie comes in. The lazy expressions such as "The Man I Love" and "It Had To Be You" sung by her verse are truly unique to her. The overall astringent selection of songs is also attractive, making it a work full of wonderful mood. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Don Bagley, Arin Fagerson, Kirk Stuart (arr) Original release: 1968.”

This Can't Be Love
    https://youtu.be/VPdNi6E6WwY

Show Me The Way Home
    https://youtu.be/bvFTHeEr3gc

Me And My Shadow
    https://youtu.be/2jVNqt7Lim8

The Man I Love
    https://youtu.be/DnYTJxLzqoc

It Has To Be You
    https://youtu.be/wElwLgbRA3Q

We'll Be Together Again
    https://youtu.be/-nZ7dwQyopM

[​IMG]

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy [Limited Edition] / Julie London
    “The last album with a wide repertoire of rock-colored hits such as The Beatles and Doors. Julie London's last album. Here, Julie only picks up her rock-colored pop numbers. The title song is a blockbuster song from the popular bubblegum rock group "Ohio Express". Other hit numbers such as The Beatles, Laura Nyro, and Doors are sung. Although it is a project is a little different, but her essence is shown in "Hashabye Mountain" from "Chiki Chiki Bang Bang" and others. (Masamichi Okazaki)
    <Personnel> Julie London (vocals), Tommy Oliver (arr, cond) Original release: 1969.”

Light My Fire
    https://youtu.be/sZ2rW2_4vTw

Sunday Morning
    https://youtu.be/KWkgdYMDimo

Hushabye Mountain

https://youtu.be/Ucssq9AFXs8

And I love Him
    https://youtu.be/Jux3R2i3TpE

Mighty Quinn
    https://youtu.be/dxGXOIRoLPU

24. toilet_doctor

They say it very clearly: “Julie London: 30 Mini LP reissues listed!”

In 2010, DU dealers offered a complete 2 sets of Julie London promo boxes for $645 – the dollar was weak.
    Since then, I've only seen a single empty box on eBay, just once for $100. Now no one has offered them… however:

(from Japan Mini LP CD thread)

The 2010 Mini LP CD set came in two promo boxes, for Vol. 1 and for Vol. 2.
    And they are gorgeous:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new reissue also coming in two volumes. I think we can expect something similar from the new release.

Complete set with album number on the front OBI and spine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. toilet_doctor

We talked about Julie London sensual approach in jazz singing, but some moments I'd like to point out that I said on Mini LP thread:
    Julie stands apart from the other singers.
    Firstly, she started very late as a singer (at the age of 29-30), when other singers at that age were already veterans.
    Second, she was not born with a microphone in her hand, like Brenda Lee, who started at 6. Julie was very, very shy. She didn't want to be the center of attention; She didn't want to be an entertainer. However, having parents - a dance tandem, living in Los Angeles and being a natural beauty, she began acting in films at the age of 15.

[​IMG]

She graduated from the Hollywood Professional High School in 1945. Two years later, she married actor Jack Webb of Dragnet and divorced him in 1953.

Another important point about Julie London: she was always very critical of herself and her singing abilities, she never considered herself a singer and did not plan a singing career.
    Thanks to her future second husband, jazz composer and musician Bobby Trope (“Route 66”), whom she married 40 years before his death in 1999, she began recording in 1955:

[​IMG]

Studios and labels tried to present Julie London as a sex symbol, she never was, but rather a California suburban mom with 5 children
    (2 from her first marriage and 3 from her second).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her fans have kept her in business when other jazz singers fail with the invasion of rock.

For many, Julie was just a dream: “I want to marry a girl like Julie London” (from a comment on Youtube).
    People don't buy Julie London's CDs, they buy their dream.

[​IMG]

30 albums... it’s not a joke, but..
    Julie never lost her sense of humor. When journalists attacked her with questions like: "How can you sing like that?" She joked: “We used a special technique; we cover the microphone a little." And stupid journalists took this joke at face value and spread this B. S. around the world.

P.S.
    The same approach in any song, not in only ballads:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    kennyluc1 and bluemooze like this.