Funky, silly and way over the top.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

This is one of my guilty pleasures. Singles that are just so &#^%@ weird, that they're catchy and loveable.

Am I the only one that remembers....

[​IMG]

I could really imagine someone covering this one. Maybe Busta Rhymes' new hit....

2. sapianalien

sapianalien New Member

Baa, Baa, Baada, Baa, Baa, Baa, Baada It's Bella butt, Besheba butt, and Bertha butt. It don't get more funkyand silly than that. I thought i was the only one that had that 45. :)

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Anyone remember "Double Barrel" by Dave and Ansell Collins? "I am..bleushugaava.. I am woo!" some really strange reggae, that actually made top 40!

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Friends,

I remember both! I purchased the original 45's all those years ago!

Fun stuff! Sckott--no promo?

Bob :)

5. Sckott

My mother bought the red-labeled Atlantic in 1974. That record is long-gone. Atlantic repressed the exact 45 with the same plates using the "Oldies Series" gold label.

I remeber the way it was cut. The runoff groove moves really quick, and it's pressed loud! Whoever cut it was a busy guy!

Mym mom was very cultured in music. She went to Woodstock, had some of the 1st ever London US pressings of the Stones, Beatles... I got them when I was 3. Runied them BADLY, but that's what you did back then.

The radio was cool too. Mom heard the song, and said "Listen to this song Scott!" and that's when I asked her to go to Woolworths to pick it up, and it cost 69 cents.

6. Bob Lovely

Sckott,

That is a fun story. I still have the Red label issue but, I have not played it in many years.

I bet your Mom has some very interesting stories to share!

Bob :)

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Please, more pics of vintage labels!:D

8. Sckott

Vintage? Eeek. I AM getting old. Ok, let's do some. I'll get some scanned as soon as I can.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

OK, this is not a label picture, but it relates to the original post. It is a currently available CD cover. It visually represents Bertha & the Butt sisters with the Jimmy Castor Bunch's "Troglodyte" song:
    [​IMG]

Regards,

10. Sckott

Yeah. Jimmy Castor Bunch also did a song on the Bell label called "Mr. Penguin Pts 1 & 2". I've yet to see it ever appear on anything ever again.

Can anyone confirm the existance of the single? Another weird JCB song.

11. Sckott

She still has the local newspaper and the Time magazine from that week. She said "I remember waking up in a muddy mess near the tent we pitched, and all I could hear was Jimi Hendrix. The sound of that guitar rolled down the hill. It was morning, and I coulnd't believe we stayed that long!"

Only stragglers were around for the Hendrix set. A lot of wasted space. Wish I was old enough, and there. I was born about 3 months before, so I was merely drooling on my grandmother's pillow while Mom was trying to find the van to get home.

I plan on posting the Woodstock program this August in either Jpg or Adobe format here. Nice anniversary thing. Has some neato articles and ads from the record companies. You get a mental wiplash when you think back that far, and the musical mentality.

12. Bob Lovely

Sckott,

Thanks for sharing the story. I was 19 the Summer of Woodstock...remember going to see the movie in the theatre later on--great sound, by the way!

Bob

13. Bertha Butt Boogie, great funky song that is... :righton: I've got the first two albums on a CD (Troglodyte, Just Begun....). Got a couple LPs too, with songs like King Kong, Dracula...

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sckott, just two days ago I put that song on CD-R for someone at work. It is on at least three different CDs. ya know.

I also get into weird songs, especially from the 70s! I have all the Dickey Goodman break-in records up to "Mr. Jaws".

15. Sckott

I still have "KONG" on the SHOCK label. Got that one? :)

16. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I had both Jaws and Kong, and still have Kong. I particularly liked the Manilow quote at the end. Someone should make these available on CD, or at least on Morpheus or one of the other file swapping networks. They're all fun and impossible to find anymore.

17. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I had the 8-track. There was also a cool song called P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L. Good stuff.

18. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Did anybody, besides me, buy the "novelty" break-in of Moonflight by Vik Venus in 1969 (Buddah 118). Vik was actually (DJ) Jack Spector from WMCA in New York. :laugh:

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Dickie Goodman

Goodman's son Jon put out a couple of CD's of his father's work a couple of years ago. Both pretty hard to find, and frankly, rather poorly done. Cuts taken from beaten 45's, intros cut off, or edited versions from Goodman's "Mr. Jaws" album, with some of the musical answers re-cut by a soundalike band.

I still have a gray area 2 disc set that's better, if still taken from inferior sources.

20. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

The one mp3 of "Mr. Jaws" I've managed to locate on Morpheus wasn't any great shakes soundwise. OK for the person I was making the disc for, but nothing special.:sigh:

21. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

You mean this? :laugh:

Attached Files:

22. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

So...YOU are the OTHER person who bought this?!:p :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.