Gaffers Tape : Where can I buy it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hopefully this is the right section for this question. Finally got a conversion device and want to hook up my better turntable to the computer / device. The turntable has the ground wire / hook and I have been reading up on how to ground a turntable if the computer doesn't have what receivers have to ground the turntable. My 2 questions are these:

Is it safe to ground the turntable by using gaffers tape to tape it to the metal casing of the computer tower?

If so, where can I buy gaffers tape?

Thanks for any help on these questions.

2. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

Many hardware stores and Amazon. The internet is an enormous place full of places to buy things.

Lebowski, Shawn, 33na3rd and 7 others like this.
  3. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Check B&H photo…

4. Apollo C. Vermouth

Someone mentioned to me the other day that I could use Gorilla tape and it would have the same affect as gaffers tape. Is this true?

5. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

As a product photographer I’d say no…use what you know works….

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  6. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

Gaffers tape has the benefit of being a nice adhesive without leaving behind too much residue and easy to tear. Makes a it a staple of recording studios. I’ve never used gorilla tape

33na3rd and Apollo C. Vermouth like this.
  7. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I work with stagehands and whatnot. Use gaffers tape. It's the best for everything.

33na3rd and Apollo C. Vermouth like this.
  8. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Someone gave me a hot tip on this place where I can find just about anything:

www.google.com

9. Apollo C. Vermouth

Someone feels a little plucky. Thanks for your SA answer. Have a WONDERFUL day.

10. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Wait, you're using tape to hold a ground wire to a metal chassis? Or am I missing something....

Computer chassis are made of spit and Kleenex, just drill a small hole in the back, checking first that the location is not near internals, and put in a self-tapping screw. Or small ground block, or machine screw from the inside with two nuts - one to secure the screw and the other to pinch down on your wire.

Good God, tape?

Cheers,
    Robert

Shawn, Agitater, timind and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ever heard of the Google?

dennis1077 likes this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm sure you can get more different uses for gaffer's tape, but wouldn't something like this do a better job- it's like 6 bucks on amazon, you'll find it under grounding lugs. It gives you a point of attachment to the metal chassis of the component you are grounding the TT to:

[​IMG]

Swann36, Shawn, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

...from a gaffer, of course.

bever70, Mazzy and tIANcI like this.
  14. Apollo C. Vermouth

Lot of snippy responses today. I just asked a question. I figured there were a lot more people here that have had experience with Gaffers tape and could give some advice. If you are annoyed by people asking questions, why not just pass on by?? I just don't get the "I MUST be a SA response" Have as NICE day.

timind likes this.
  15. Apollo C. Vermouth

See now THAT is funny. Thanks for making me laugh :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. Apollo C. Vermouth

Thanks for the advice and tip on this. Much appreciated.

timind likes this.
  17. Apollo C. Vermouth

Thanks. See, this is why when people make SA responses and ask "Have you ever heard of Google" they should know that Gaffers tape and ground it to the computer casing was what it said on Google. So I guess Google isn't what it's all cracked up to be vs. people that actually have experience with the matter. Again, thank you for clarifying and the tip on how it should be ground. Very much appreciated.

WildPhydeaux and timind like this.
  18. timind

timind phorum rezident

This is the best solution. Unless there’s a screw on the computer cabinet that can be loosened enough to wrap the screw around, and retighten the screw. No mess

19. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

See the @timind post above for a better solution. No drilling, no extra parts hanging off the computer case.

The best place to find gaff tape is at any large hardware store. Tape of any kind will not hold fast a contact to a conducting surface for more than a few minutes. Also, taping a ground wire to a computer case isn't actually grounding anything unless you're taping the bare end of the ground wire to bare metal (not painted or anodized surfaces). But that still doesn't solve the problem of making good contact for any more than a few minutes.

@timind has the best idea I think.

Shawn, Apollo C. Vermouth and timind like this.
  20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

On the computer loosen a case screw.
    Wrap the wire around it and tighten, if an eyelet or fork fitting use the screw to hold it.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

It's not funny, it's the truth :D:
    "The precise origin of the name is unknown, one theory being that it is named for the gaffer (chief lighting technician) on a film crew.[3] When cables are taped down on a stage or other surface, either to prevent tripping hazards or conceal them from view of the audience or camera,[4] they are said to be gaffed or gaffered.[5]"

It's all on the Google, man!

22. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

what do you mean by "conversion device" ?

a phono pre with usb ? then your ground connection should go there.
    a ADC (analog to digital converter ) ? then you would need a phono pre......

if your TT has a switchable phono pre built in, you might not need the ground wire at all.

23. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

you can buy it at film / photo suppliers filmtools.com or b&h photo

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Just be a little careful, last “gaffers” tape I bought left a bunch of residue. We use it at the track to seal body seams and such.

25. noway

noway Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023