GAIA do Magic.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Hazelmullins

Hazelmullins Forum Resident

After reading this thread I decided to get some for my Evo 4.4s I was a little concerned at first with how they would look compared to the original spikes, but I actually like them better [​IMG]

GyroSE, Tajo1960 and chipcalzada like this.
  2. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Are they easy to adjust in order to compensate for floor level and to create a sharp rake angle?

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

They are but at least in my case they get suctioned against the floor and sometimes they require some minor effort to get them unstuck to be able to rotate them which is the way to adjust them.

Tajo1960 and CrimsonPiper like this.
  4. CrimsonPiper

Thanks, I like the fact that they create some suction for more stability.

5. Hazelmullins

My floor is extremely uneven. The slope is downright ridiculous in that the floor at the front of the speaker is 1/2" higher than the rear. The closer you get to the wall the more it curves downward

I was still able to level them but I am near the limit of the threads of one foot on each speaker.

6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Mine are less than a year old, the rubber is very soft but I presume that over the time or with porous floors the effect might not be as strong as it is in my case.

It is a good thing but it can work against you during the stages of finding the right position for the speakers. Every time you want to adjust the position just a little you'll find you can't move them. By the time they've been unstuck, you have moved the speaker way over of what you had intended.

7. CrimsonPiper

I have a similar case of a very uneven floor ( laminate over concrete) but more towards the side wall, I wonder if you can order a longer thread.

Hazelmullins likes this.
  8. Hazelmullins

I think you might be right I recall something on their site saying to contact them for custom thread sizes, so maybe they have longer ones as well

CrimsonPiper likes this.
  9. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I've never tried any "tweaks" as it stands but I've decided to take a punt and ordered a set of Gaia III's just to see if changing the spikes
    on my Nola Contenders to these footers can actually make a difference. They should be in later this week (I hope)

TBH - I'm not really expecting much, but based on all the positive reviews I'll keep an open mind.
    Sometimes the best surprises are the ones you don't expect ;>)

Hazelmullins and Uglyversal like this.
  10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Let us know how it goes.
    I’m considering them too, but if I buy will make sure they’re returnable in case I’m not happy

11. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I used the Gaia III on my Marten Duke 2, there was an improvement. Tightened up the bass so the mids were better too. But I won’t say it’s a huge difference at all. It’s worth it but not that huge. No x5 ROI.

Tajo1960 likes this.
  12. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

The Gaia's have been delivered ! Will install and post my impressions this weekend .
    They feel very solid and they sure look a lot better than the spikes, so there's a good start ... :>)

13. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

Here's my impressions of the Gaia III's ... it could be condensed into two words : How ? & Wow !

The "how" has to do with the product itself and how could it impact the sound so much ? ... I mean, it's just a support for a speaker !
    There must of been some serious R&D time put into develop and engineer these things.
    As a point of reference my condo floor is cement with vinyl flooring planks and the original spikes would dig into the flooring,
    so I assumed the speaker was perfectly anchored... I guess I was wrong.

The "Wow" was my skepticisms being swept away by what I was hearing .
    There was a level of smearing that I never knew was there until it was gone.
    Soundstage, separation and clarity all were all clearly improved. The bass tightened up and the sound was more focused ...
    This was my first tweak I tried and had I known these were that good I would of ordered them a long time ago.
    And should I ever decide to sell the Contenders, the Gaia's will be staying with me to be installed on the next set of speakers ;>)
    As usual YMMV, but for me... wow !

octavius, Tajo1960, GyroSE and 4 others like this.
  14. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

That was my thoughts exactly, LeBud! You know, I have Golden Ear Triton Two's and I had the bass control set at 1 o'clock with a Kab subsonic filter. Now with the Gaia's in place, the Kab subsonic filter is out, and the bass control on the Golden Ear Triton Two's is set at 11 o'clock! And the bass is deeper and more articulate! Very pleased!
    Cheers, Doug

Tajo1960 and LeBud like this.
  15. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Finally picked up a set of Gaia 3's, was using Herbie's gliders prior which was good but this is a clear step up. Most notable improvement is bass and mids, was worried about the 70lb weight limit of the Gaia 3 but I weighed my speaker and the stand (filled) and it came out to 68lbs right on the button.

[​IMG]

16. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Just installed Gaia II's last night on a pair of Tannoy Kensington GR's. To be honest, any improvements to the sound are very subtle. Perhaps the bass is a little better articulated--I can hear individual notes on an upright or electric bass with a touch more clarity. No change to the soundstage that I can hear. But these speakers sounded absolutely incredible with the stock feet, and they still do. My primary reason for picking up the Gaia's is that I live in an apartment building and I'm trying to save my downstairs neighbor from my noise to whatever extent I can. He's never complained, but I could feel the Tannoy's vibrating into the floor with bass-heavy music. The Gaia's do appear to have solved that, so I'd say it's money well-spent.

zonto, chipcalzada and OC Zed like this.
  17. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

You sir a good neighbor.

18. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Have a set of IIs under my 112lb speakers.
    Their effect IMHO has been positive.

MGW likes this.
  19. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

BTW: One set had knurled round tensioners, the other had six sided nuts and a wrench.
    I found the nuts with wrench to be much easier to use, the knurled things not so much (in comparison).
    If your contemplating these make sure to get the nuts.

alpentalic likes this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I bought mine several years ago for my speakers and the knurled counter nuts are petty useless. I need to see if they’ll just send me some proper nuts and wrench.

samurai likes this.
  21. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I bought my GAIA III two weeks ago. Still waiting for the screws GAIA M10 x 1.25 Long to my Monitor Audio Gold 300 gen.5
    I'm very excited when I will install them and how sounds change...

Tajo1960 likes this.
  22. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

There is a video on Isoacoustics' website showing you how to get a tea towel under the Gaia's to make moving the position much easier. It works.

thomaskong likes this.