Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

No major issues with HBONow. The show appeared in the menu just after 6PM PST and I was able to stream it right away. There were two brief pauses of about a minute each about 30 minutes into the show.

brew ziggins likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

So all we know about Anya Stark is a brief bit of exposition that she refused help when she was rescued?

3. mep

mep Forum Resident

Finally! The new season begins for me now, with SKY showing Best Of - Shows, Talkrounds and then three hours away actually the new episode.

4. DreadPikathulhu

There was also a pretty lengthy introduction that summarized the previous seasons along with a long tag for the next episode.

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

We know from last season that she's on her way to Braavos for what's likely to be assassin training.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Worked flawlessly for me. I watched it a couple hours after its "debut" and had zero problems...

I wouldn't be surprised if HBO gets REALLY nasty with folks who are illegally downloading the show this season. In the past, there wasn't an option for non-subscribers to watch the show as it airs and now there is. I bet they'll really be lowering the boom on those who don't opt to subscribe to HBONow.

brew ziggins likes this.
  7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Help me out guys. I've been watching since the beginning and the character"Lancel Lannister" has always been skinny as a rail. Now he's all bulked up looking like well a mini Hulk maybe. So is the same actor as in previous seasons? Because his face kinda looks the same.
    Thanks

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, it's the same actor. We haven't seen him since season 2.

The funny thing is, that character is supposed to have become haggard and prematurely aged after being injured in battle, in addition to becoming a penniless religious fanatic -- instead he looked like he'd hit the gym!

9. DreadPikathulhu

Yes. He's been busy in the weight room in the basement of the castle.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  10. Squealy

I couldn't stop myself, I had to watch all four episodes.

Without getting too spoilery -- they go WAY off book this season. The storylines for Jaime, Sansa, and Brienne are entirely different from what's in the books. And there are lots of other changes. Be prepared. They clearly decided books 4 & 5 were unfilmable as written, which is pretty reasonable.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

UNFILMABLE??

12. Squealy

Too many characters, too many locations, too many storylines that bog down and don't go anywhere.... lots of complaints about those two books from fans.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. vince

Oh, ok.
    In one of those "On the red carpet" things, the topic of 'characters finally meeting each other' kinda got me excited.
    But, DON'T tell us anymore until the episodes are aired.......
    please.

Aggie87 likes this.
  14. ptmconsulting

ptmconsulting Member

Oh the fact that they are going off book sounds good to me. My wife will be really happy that I will stop telling her "pay attention, this part is important". :D

Yeah, books 4 and 5 take too much space exploring all those tertiary families that really do nothing to move the story along, even though it might be more realistic that they would try and improve themselves in real life. It would be impossible to film that and keep the story moving forward. After this season we are also likely to see the show jump ahead of the books if he doesn't get that next one published damn soon. :magoo:

mikeyt likes this.
  15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Haven't read the books, but I'm a big fan and I also like the idea of them going off the book.
    For one thing it allows for more speculation and discussion that can't empirically be wrong via the book's script.
    I was curious what has happened already that was not as the book went, for instance was Oberyn killed by the Mountain in the book? There is a sneak peek trailer of a band of warrior women who are out to get revenge for Oberyn's death (as shown in a trailer I saw before this past Sunday -so that's no spoiler), are they in the book or was his death just part of a writer's mechanism to bring some sword swinging babes into the mix?
    Not knowing was part of what made watching Better Call Saul (and Breaking Bad of course) so much fun, that is not knowing exactly where the writers will steer the story. On that show the writers have well established fore shadowing with clues that can sometimes be a clever red herring or an obvious I told you so, to great effect. That show and this one have a lot in common on some levels but seem worlds apart of course.
    I for one miss the Hound and wonder if he shows up again, I wonder what's going on with Bran way up north and miss Ygritte (I know she won't be back).
    Oh yeah, what is up with that dude that Varys had in the box anyway?
    Bronn is a great character and I definitely want to see Jorah get into some action.
    Since the beginning of season 3 I have been wondering when we're gonna see some real dragon action and than just started thinking 'oh well, I guess we'll get some good ice zombie action anyway', well there's no excuse now.
    I'm fairly content that regardless how much killer sword and sorcery action there actually is sandwiched between the Robert E. Howard (creator and writer of Conan novels) soap opera parts, at least they are making a dam fine sword and sorcery soap opera anyway.

16. Squealy

Yes and yes. There are eight of the Sand Snakes (Oberyn's daughters with various women) in the novels.

17. DreadPikathulhu

With Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, are there any other examples of novels being adapted on-the-fly, before their source material is even completed?

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's going to be difficult for him to overcome death.

19. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yes please, consider that as a spoiler. It hasn't been shown in the episode(s) just aired, so I consider it a spoiler. So no discussion about trailers/teasers as I think there are quite a few who want to go into each episode unspoiled. Thank you. :)

20. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Did we see him die? ;)

mikeyt and ubiknik like this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

While not novels, Japanese manga have been adopted on-the-fly by their anime counterparts for decades with the source material still not completed. Sometimes this creates an anime series that moves along independently and differently from the manga, and other times the anime follows the manga very closely, while interjecting side stories and other filler while waiting for the new manga installments to get released.

Sometimes the results are excellent, while other times they truly suck.

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I was thinking earlier about the same basic idea, funny that I mention Conan because that was a few books, the author killed himself and years later Marvel scoops him up and I can't guess nor do I know how many tales have been spun with that character and his world. FWIW Howard put Conan in the Hyborian age, which is kind of the same trick used in GOT.

I for one like the idea of a long or longer stretch of this series than the books allow -if the series were not as good I would think different, what has been good about this story and it's world has made me want to read Martin's books.
    Star Wars was basically taken straight from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress film, and they say most stories are basically previous and well known formula elements that just get re-arranged by writers, so as long as the writers keep the story and characters alive in an entertaining way then it's all good.
    With Walking Dead I just throw up my hands and give up with logic -the core crew in that show now is bound to repeat the ebb and flow of zombie mayhem and the human condition that tries to struggle with that.
    I like it for some reason, but would have gotten the hell out of the woods about 3 seasons ago and headed for the less populated parts of the high country in New Mexico or something like that if I were in this show...
    I realize that the setting is good for what does happen in the show and that it came from a comic book, but like I said I just forget about thinking too much with this one and I say go for it, lets take the zombie tour of the US for cryin' out loud.

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

OK.:whistle:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Re: The Hound...

No, but as he said, "Unless there's a maester just over the hill, he's done for". I suppose they could have some mystic healer come along though they were in a remote area, but that would be a bit deux ex and would actually disappoint me. Not that I won't miss him too, but as they say, "all men must die". We didn't see Xaro Xhoan Daxos die either, but I'm assuming his food and water supply ran out long ago.

25. vince

I always said, "Zero, Zero Duck Sauce".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.