Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Paltry sum..the series must make a fortune /merchandising/ downloads /physical media.

2. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Dinklage, Kit, Emilia, Lena and Nikolaj as Casey mentioned
    The final season contract was all 5 were making 1 million per episode. It used to be that Dinklage was paid the most of out of the actors. I believe the 500k figure is for Sophie and Maisie. Poor Bran getting shafted from the pay. At least he didnt end up like the Rickon actor who barely made any appearances

alexpop likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And he got left out of an entire season!

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Didn’t miss him a bit. The most dull character in the entire series.

vegafleet, lobo, ducksdeluxe and 4 others like this.
  5. alexpop

Bran? More empathy for him when he was a kid.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

coming up soon! my wife can't wait...

7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I honestly think that Benioff & Weiss have had no idea what to do with Bran or how to approach his character. GRRM has said many times that Bran is the most difficult character to write in the books as he is both the youngest POV character and the character most tied up with the magical elements of the series. Bran is clearly important to the endgame in some way (and I hope it isn't just to serve as a means of relaying exposition), but the writing for him has been shaky at best. He's gotta be crucial though. Bran is the first POV character in the first book, following the prologue.

I liked him during the first four seasons when he was on the journey to find the three-eyed raven with his traveling companions, but Robot Bran is completely unappealing to me and it's difficult to even care whether he lives or dies at this point because, as Meera said, the Bran that we felt sympathy for 'died' in the cave with Summer and Hodor.

8. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more... and I think part of Martin’s problem with finishing the series relates to the increasing difficulty of writing Bran’s story, which gets more and more preposterous as it continues. The other areas of the book that deal with magic (Dani’s fireproofing; Melisandre’s shadow babies) are much more constrained. Had Martin simply killed off Bran when he had the chance, either in book one or in the escape from Theon, he could have dumped a lot of extraneous baggage and saved a ton of mental effort.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i agree with you this time! ;)

Parachute Woman likes this.
  10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Added to the fact that the actor who plays Bran is, and always has been, the worst actor of the entire ensemble. All the Stark 'kid's' have grown, as actors, since the shows beginnings. The kid who plays Bran has actually gotten worse! At this point I have more empathy towards Rickon!

GentleSenator and GodShifter like this.
  11. Squealy

Yes, you wonder whether the entire point of Bran was simply to facilitate the reveal of Jon’s parentage.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The new season will run 432 minutes long.

'Game of Thrones': HBO Reveals Running Times of Final Season Episodes

Game of Thrones fans are counting the hours until the series returns for its final season on April 14. Now, they can count something else: the exact length of the six remaining episodes.

HBO has revealed run times for the shortened season eight, clocking in at 432 minutes total. The first two installments of the season will be the shortest, at 54 and 58 minutes respectively. From there, the season balloons out, with its longest episode at an hour and 22 minutes. Episode four runs for an hour and 18 minutes. The final two episodes of the series are both estimated to run for an hour and 20 minutes each.

For years, creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss have referred to their Game of Thrones vision as a 70-hour film. With the final season runtime now revealed, the final "film" in the series will play in a binge at a little over seven hours — shorter than most of the other seasons, but not by much. Indeed, it's just barely shorter than season seven, which logged in at approximately 440 minutes and had an additional episode to spare over the final six-episode run. An eight-minute difference with only six episodes as opposed to seven? It's fair to say the final stories of Jon Snow (Kit Harington), Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) and the rest will be action-packed indeed.

The full episode runtimes:

Season 8, Episode 1
    Debut date: Sunday, April 14 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 0:54

Season 8, Episode 2
    Debut date: Sunday, April 21 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 0:58

Season 8, Episode 3
    Debut date: Sunday, April 28 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 1:22

Season 8, Episode 4
    Debut date: Sunday, May 5 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 1:18

Season 8, Episode 5
    Debut date: Sunday, May 12 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 1:20

Season 8, Episode 6
    Debut date: Sunday, May 19 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 1:20

RobRoyF likes this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

It's hard to argue in favor of Bran's likability on the show. He is dull. But the Three Eyed Raven he replaced wasn't exactly a song and dance man either. I say let's see how this plays out in the end before we wonder if the story would've been better if he'd died already.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well said and I absolutely agree.

That said, when reading the books nothing made me more restless or bummed out than a Bran POV chapter. Of course he has his purpose, but his story line is just so tedious and boring.

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

so they got it right in the show?

;)

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He's got to warg a dragon and/or key character in the show.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That does seem to be his logical purpose. Perhaps if (when) Dany goes down, he has to take over?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  18. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Its the Theon chapters that were actually the most interesting in the books. I can't believe how much of it was shafted in the show. It was just so hardcore in the books

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. alexpop

Media S8 : 4K ?

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

With all the 'sport-ball' on TV this weekend, it might be time for a "THRONE-athon"!
    OR, should I say.....
    "And now, my WATCH begins!"

lobo and Chris from Chicago like this.
  21. alexpop

...when the media’s available ( hello blu-ray). So I’ll be bowing out of this thread for the rest of the year soon. :)

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Official poster for the season released:

[​IMG]

I actually think it's one of the best posters they've ever had. Subtle and beautiful. It's also Drogon's third poster (after S3 and S5). Who's the real star of this show? :D

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  23. Squealy

24. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

My wife is rewatching old episodes in anticipation of the new season. I never really got into it. How long does it take to get into it? It's just a lot of people torturing each other. And it doesn't even look good. It looks like Xena or Hercules in HD.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Start at Season 1 - EP 1 and go from there, either you'll get into it or you won't. You can't skip around seasons or episodes with GOT, too much back story.