Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The 'prequel' show is plenty of milk!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

9 Seasons will be enough...looking forward to April.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nah...it's over...mostly IMO possibly due to the author?...

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

As a subscriber to HBO and a watcher of GoT... that would be excruciating.

Deuce66, Ed Hughes and GodShifter like this.
  5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

A set of 20 season 8 posters were released today on EW: 'Game of Thrones' reveals 20 final season character photos showing new costumes

Each poster shows a different main character sitting on the Iron Throne, echoing the official poster for season 1. Here's a side-by-side comparison of Jon's poster with Ned from S1:

[​IMG]

The 20 characters who got posters are: Daenerys, Jaime, Cersei, Davos, Bran, Arya, Grey Worm, The Hound, Sansa, Brienne, Jon, Missandei, The Night King, Tyrion, Euron, Melisandre, Jorah, Theon, Sam, and Varys.

Main characters who did not get posters: Tormund, Gilly, Bronn, and Gendry. (+ supporting characters like Yara, Pod, Beric, Edd, Hot Pie, etc.)

I wonder what will be used for the official season art (the one standard image used for the season on home video artwork, etc.)? Perhaps just an empty throne?

My hype is accelerating. :D

Chris from Chicago and alexpop like this.
  6. vince

Thanks to the internet, look who DID make it to the throne!
    [​IMG]

AudioEnz and Ed Hughes like this.
  7. vince

ALL HAIL QUEEN SUNDAY!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Covered in snow....I predict that no one will be sitting in that throne when it's all over.

9. Chris from Chicago

Would that imply humankind is finished? As in the white walkers win?

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think the white walkers will be defeated leaving the remaining houses to work out some alternate form of government that doesn't require "bending" the knee to one single ruler.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Sounds completely plausible.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It makes sense to me :cool:, if I was a character on GOT I would definitely be a northerner from beyond the wall, no bending the knee for anyone.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'd be disappointed if westeros was run by the UN. The show is not set up for that. The game is won by the most ruthless and cunning and that's how it should end. Would be a serious breach of the rules as they've been laid out for some type of power sharing, although the most cunning will probably propose that and then get rid of everyone else in Walder Frey fashion.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Wasn’t Westeros run by the UN prior to the Mad King? I’m not an expert on the mythology but I recall something like this.

That said, totally agree...a single winner is certainly needed.

15. Parachute Woman

No. King Aerys II (the Mad King) was the 17th Targaryen king, the last in a line that lasted about 300 years--beginning with Aegon I's conquest of Westeros with his two sister-wives and their three dragons. Aerys was preceded on the throne by his father King Jaehaerys II, who was himself the son of King Aegon V. Aegon V (called the Unlikely as he was the fourth son of a fourth son) traveled around as a boy with a hedge knight named Ser Duncan the Tall. These "Dunk and Egg" tales are published in a book called A Knight of Seven Kingdoms. I highly recommend them as they are a lot of fun.

Aegon V (Egg) was the younger brother of Maester Aemon, who served in the Night's Watch and mentored Sam and Jon Snow. He was offered the throne when his father died but he refused it (as he was a maester, and he didn't want it). He joined the Night's Watch so that he could not be used in any political gambits against his beloved younger brother. Aegon V died in the Tragedy at Summerhall, along with Ser Duncan and his eldest son. They were trying to hatch a dragon egg and a fire got out of control, killing everyone there. Dany's oldest brother Rhaegar (Jon's dad) was born during this tragedy.

As for Jaehaerys II, a woods witch gave a prophecy that the Prince Who Was Promised would be born of the line of his two children--Aerys and his sister Rhaella. Jaehaerys wed them to each other, though neither was interested in the match. Rhaella had a lot of miscarriages, stillbirths and crib deaths but three of her children with Aerys lived--Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys. As Jon is Rhaegar's son, he was also born of this line and either Jon or Dany (or both) could be the prince that was promised. Jaehaerys himself died really uneventfully of a short illness, bringing his son Aerys (the Mad King) to the throne.

Ya'll should read A World of Ice and Fire and Fire and Blood. The Targaryen history is SO fascinating and so incredibly detailed. Every one of the 17 kings has a full history and character, with a huge extended family tree and so much drama. There's a reason Jon and Dany are the only two left!

As for what I think: Westeros is still at least 200 years away from being able to set up and maintain a democracy. The narrative would also be most satisfied by a just ruler getting on the throne, in my opinion. I don't think they can just throw it all out, no matter any talk of "breaking the wheel." I don't know what's going to happen, but I think a monarchy will still exist at the end of this story.

16. Chris from Chicago

Thanks for this. A lot of this is new to me. And I truly had no idea about how much I didn't know.

And I agree. It's called Game of Thrones. Someone has to be sitting on it It's what the series is about and had lead up to. But you know it isn't going to be someone obvious (like Jon or Dany)

Tyrion has probably been my favorite character since the very first episode. And he's always been the smartest one in the room. I wouldn't be unhappy if it were him.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  17. vince

It must be said:
    I really enjoyed the TV 'reveal' of Maester Aemon being a Targaryen...
    I'm trying to remember if HE is who Olenna is talking about, when she said she was 'to be married' to a Targaryen.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

If anyone is destined for the throne it’s Jon, but he’ll likely refuse it and someone like Gendry will assume it because of lineage. I fully expect Dany to die and, probably, Tyrion as well (though I know nothing). See what I did there?

19. Parachute Woman

I had to look that one up, as I couldn't remember who Olenna was betrothed to. It was Daeron Targaryen--the youngest son of Aegon V and little brother of Jaehaerys. That would make him...let's see...Dany's great-uncle (her grandfather's brother). And Daeron would have been Aemon's nephew (his brother's son). Goodness, this family tree!

Apparently Daeron broke off his engagement to Olenna as he preferred the company of his friend Ser Jeremy. ;) He died in a rebellion.

Maester Aemon is one of my favorites, and I agree about the reveal. Wonderful scene! I hope Jon will tell Dany about him. Aemon so desperately wanted to help Daenerys and never got to, though he did get a chance to help a member of his kin, even if neither of them knew it.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Tyrion is more a lover than a fighter, and it will take someone who lacks an ethical bone in their body. It could be Jon or Dany if one of them goes pure evil. Certainly developments in the last couple seasons have hinted how that's possible.

If I was writing it, I'd have Jon go pure evil to take the throne after realizing his whole life has been a lie. He would go after the remaining Starks as a sort of vengeance. His false identity as Ned's bastard son was sort of brainwashing exercise to make him a good person. When the illusion is gone, maybe the good person will be gone too.

21. Chris from Chicago

I don't expect either Jon or Dany to be standing when this ends. No one knows what'll happen. But this writer doesn't appear to believe in happy endings. And it's famous for its shocking deaths. I don't expect that to end anytime soon.

A history of the emotional demise of a beloved character has become the norm on this show. That'll probably continue.

Or not. Never watched a show that was less predictable.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about Jamie to sit on the throne ?
    I mean he looks like a king + he’s killed a king.
    Just saying.

23. Parachute Woman

Why would Jon's core personal beliefs change so drastically? He is a good man with a good heart. That's who he is. His false identity as Ned's son was simply meant to keep him alive. As he advised Theon last season ("You're a Greyjoy and you're a Stark"), Jon will accept his true self. He is both a Targaryen and a Stark. And why would he go after his own family, whom he dearly loves?

If any of the 'good' characters is likely to go 'evil'...it's Tyrion. They lightened him up a lot in the show. Tyrion in the books has become a dark, dark character with very few moral scruples. You may have felt he was justified, but remember that Tyrion murdered his own father and strangled a woman he loved with his bare hands.

24. vince

AND.... he seemed pissed/bummed to hear Jon & Danny 'bumping uglys' !
    THAT could turn him!
    In the end, it all comes down to if any of these folks get a little 'inside information' from Bran!
    Of course, that 'gimmick' has already been used, when Little finger got his 'comeuppance'.
    Anything CAN happen, 'coz one only has to say, "Bran told me....off camera!"

GodShifter and Parachute Woman like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Certainly his look at watching Dany & Jon going into her cabin probably did not auger well for his motivations for this season.