Game shows with simple rulesets...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bmasters9, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is at least one game show of the past or present with a ruleset that is/was simple to understand and easy to play along with (IYO)?

IMO, one that was like that is Split Second (first on ABC w/Tom Kennedy from 1972-75, then for one season w/the late, great Monty Hall in syndie from 1986-87). The way it worked was thus: first, two preliminary rounds were played, in which the three players competed to provide the right response to part of a three-way question; the players answered based on the order of their ring-ins. The players were scored per how many provided correct responses to parts of the questions; that differed w/the two versions (the dollar values increased in the second round of both versions as well).

On the original 1972-75 ABC Kennedy show, the first round paid $5 for all three getting part, $10 for two, and $25 if only one had part of the question right (that went to $10, $25 and $50 on the second round).

On the 1986-87 Monty Hall syndie show (which just premiered on Buzzr), the first round had $10 for all three getting part, $25 for two, and $50 for only one getting it (that went to $20, $50 and $100 on the second round).

The last part of the game on both shows was the Countdown Round: there, it was each player for him/herself, and unlike the other two rounds, the player who got in first could answer up to all three parts of the question, as long as he/she was right (on the Kennedy show, first-place player had to answer only 3, second 4, and third 5 [meaning that the player who had only three questions to answer could sweep the first set and win the game right there]; on the Hall show, first-place player had to do 4, second 5, and third 6).

The first player to finish his/her quota won the game; all three players kept whatever they won to that point, and on the Kennedy show, the non-winning players each got a consolation prize in addition to whatever money they made.

On the bonus, the winning player went for a car, methods differing between the two shows: the Kennedy show had the winner trying to start one car from a choice of five; if the car choice was correct (the car started), the car was won, and a cash jackpot with it (originally starting with $200 on the first go, and then moving up by $200 for each failed try [each failed try decreased the car choice by one for each successive win by a champion], then starting at $1000, and moving up by $500 for each failed try; the jackpot reset when the car was taken, and if a player was a 5-game winner, he/she could have whatever car he/she wanted from the five).

The Hall show originally had a choice of 5 screens, four of which had a $1000 cash bonus, and one saying "car". If the player chose the one saying "car", the car was won, and the player retired unbeaten; if one of the $1000 windows was shown, the player won that much as a bonus, and came back for another show (each successive show had the originally chosen screens marked off per how many times the champion won, and 5-timers automatically took the car). Later, the "car" word was behind three screens, and if the player picked the three screens that said "car," the car was won; else, if a prize was shown, Monty offered that prize and $1000 to the champion to retire there; that increased to $2K and then $3K for each successive failed try. On the fourth day, one more window said "car," and if the player still failed, Monty offered the prize and $4K to the champion, who had the choice to quit and take all that, or try for a 5th and final win (a 5th and final win automatically won the car as before).

Please pardon the wordiness, but I had to get all the ramifications in, because there were quite a few changes!

Again, what shows had rulesets that, in your opinion, were simple to understand and play along with?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Nothing simpler to understand than ' Jeopardy'.
    Getting the question right is the hard part.

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. bmasters9

Right on-- the buzzer lockout also stood in a player's way as well.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Hollywood Squares. The celebrity answers the question; all the contestant has to do is agree or disagree.

Very few celebrities deliberately tried to BS the contestants on a regular basis. John Davidson was about the only one I recall.

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Dating game?

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Also, Name That Tune had simple rules.

7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Tic Tac Dough had pretty simple rules. Playing Tic-Tac-Toe is easy, you get your X or O by answering a question. Simple enough.

I do remember there was a bonus round. I don't remember the rules of that exactly, but I'm sure it wasn't that complicated.

bmasters9 likes this.
  8. bmasters9

It wasn't-- CBS version in summer 1978 had the player trying to find a hidden Tic-Tac-Toe, and the 1978-86 syndie had the objective as reaching $1000 or more (both had the larger objective of avoiding the Dragon).

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Deal or No Deal

10. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

That's what I'm remembering, the Dragon. I thought it was part of a bonus game, but I haven't seen an episode of this show in over 25 years, so no wonder my brain is foggy.

bmasters9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.