Gastwirt Chicago Transit Authority CD: 1 or 2 disc version preferred?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vette442, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

:biglaugh: I'm watching the Sunday Night game on NBC and as they were going to commercial, the bumper music for the outro was Chicago's "Alive Again". What an obscure song to use for bumper music... ;)

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Folks, let's stick to the discussion of the various pressings of Chicago Transit Authority and not turn this into a discussion (criticism) of audio components.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ok, I think I'll search out the Gold Columbia CD now since Mr. Sax mastered it. Thanks for that bit of info Steve, appreciate that :righton:

Bought the 2 LP set of CTA the week it was release eh? Hmm...you're revealing your age ya know :D

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I like the original LP myself...

5. dmax

dmax New Member

Two questions, please:

If you burn a copy of the Mastersound gold CTA direct to a CDR, will you get the same sound or will it lose any kind of audio quality?

And how do you extract and burn a regular CDR of the new stereo mix on the Chicago II DVD-A just to play in your car, etc?

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

We are talking about CTA here. Please don't change the topic.

7. OldJohnRobertson

You're about a month behind. ;)

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Check the Audio Hardware forum for answers.

Nope. The thread title is still "Gastwirt Chicago Transit Authority CD: 1 or 2 disc version preferred?".... :)

9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Then why all this talk of Rhino vs. Mastersound? :eek:

10. AudiophilePhil

It's better late than never.

11. AudiophilePhil

You will get the answer to your question if you read the whole thread.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Can we say the same of the 1995 release of the single CD version on "Chicago Records?"

I got one yesterday and some tracks sound fine, others are bright. :sigh:

13. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Dredging this one up to ask...for the Mastersound Gold disc of CTA - are there different Japan and US versions, or are these one in the same (in terms of mastering - I could care less about packaging etc)?

14. OldJohnRobertson

The Mastersound disc is the Mastersound disc. Doesn't matter where it was pressed. They're all the same.

15. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I've never seen or heard of a Japan Mastersound of this title, but if there is one, chances are it would be identical to the U.S. version.

Been trying to find one of these, as well.

Those Rhino's, well...they sound like a rhino.;) For the rest, I really prefer the Gaswirt CD's over them. The re-issues just sound too hard and gritty. The Gastwirt's may have some EQ, but still somewhat listenable, and 110% better than the new ones, IMHO.

16. AudiophilePhil

I agree. :agree:
    Any Chicago albums remastered by Donelly (Rhino) sounds too hard and gritty.

This is how I rank the sound of Chicago CD's in terms of mastering engineer. No. 1 being the best but all of the three listed below sounds very good.

Good Sounding Ones
    1. Doug Sax --------------- Chicago Transit Authority Mastersound Gold CD
    2. Mark Wilder ------------- Group Portrait Box Set
    3. Joe Gastwirt ------------ Columbia CD's

Bad Ones
    David Donnelly -------------------- All Rhino Remasters

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The Rhino CTA (only Chicago Rhino reissue I bought - stopped after that) is truly an abomination...can't make it though 5 minutes without wanting to rip it out of the player.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have one. CK 57186. This is the original version of the Gold CD, and came in the white longbox. Not sure if the # changed when they reissued it as a U.S. pressing with a slipcase.

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I Have not heard the mastersound version but the original Columbia beats the rhino !

20. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The Rhino is dreadful. It's harsh. This is true of all of the Rhino Chicago CD's, in my opinion. The Columbia CD is just fine. The Rhino vinyl is sublime.

Ed

21. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

not heard the vinyl ! probably the only reason to hang on to the rhino cds is for the bonus tracks!

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I believe LesPaul666 was pondering an actual Japanese issue, not the U.S. issue pressed in Japan. There is a Japanese gold issue of Chicago Transit Authority with an OBI strip. I believe it has an SRCS catalog number.

On a related note, I believe all U.S. copies of Chicago Transit Authority have the disc pressed in Japan since there only exists the original longbox form. That is, there is no later slipcase version with the disc pressed in the U.S.

23. VH3FAN

VH3FAN Forum Resident

Can anyone verify how the CTA CD released on Chicago Records compare to the Columbia CD? I saw a copy of the Chicago Records version and I was almost going to pick it up but decided to hold out for the Columbia version.

24. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I'm fairly confident that the Chicago Records and US Columbia releases, for the whole catalog, use the same mastering.

25. AudiophilePhil

Talking about Chicago on CD's, forget the Rhino remasters.
    They were compessed and NR'ed to death.

The just recently released 180-gram Rhino vinyls of the first two Chicago albums are way above their CD counterparts in terms of sound quality. The vinyls are light years better.

Yes they share the same company name (Rhino) but they were remastered by two different engineers. It seems to me that the one who remastered Chicago on vinyl is the better remastering/audio restoration engineer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.