Geddy Lee on Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NYSPORTSFAN, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident Thread Starter

Geddy Lee I have noticed through the years has been very up-front on Paul McCartney influence on him. A very recent comment

“I think about McCartney on [The Beatles’ 1969 track] ‘Something,’ I think that was the first time I ever heard the bass as a lead instrument.

That’s not uncommon in the early days of pop. There were a lot of so-called lead lines, but they’re played down with the dulcet tones, the lower tones, and so people don’t really appreciate that a lot of content as a lead instrument, but it really is doing that job.”

DK Pete, Yorick, 905 and 9 others like this.
  2. I was hoping he would have included an interview with Paul in his new Big Book of Bass, but from all accounts Paul never really was much of a gear head. Curious if he did reach out and ask.

gabbleratchet7 and warewolf95 like this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Surprising. I thought Cream were a seminal influence on Rush? Geddy Lee should certainly have been aware of 'bass as lead instrument' before 1969....

GoodKitty, Doggiedogma and ytserush like this.
  4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Swapping guitar for bass in carrying melodies always grabs my attention.

5. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

And what Paul played was apparently toned down after his line was ‘too busy,’!

6. NYSPORTSFAN

I was in a cover band and my bassist would say the majority of first generation rock bassists were influenced by Paul no matter how technically great they were including Geddy Lee.

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I've always thought of "Hey Bulldog" as a prime example of lead bass.

8. I think of Rain as a great example of lead bass and that's '66

9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

How about "My Generation"?

10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

It's possible the although he was a fan of Cream's music beforehand, he might not have been listening as critically (ie. picking out bass parts) as he would be a year or two later when "Something " came out.

11. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

And "Taxman."

tug_of_war and NYSPORTSFAN like this.
  12. NYSPORTSFAN

I was thinking of that song because is John is answering Pete's guitar lines with his lead bass playing. I was also thinking "Think For Yourself" as the lead instrument throughout the song is the bass though it's a fuzz bass.

Having heard Geddy Lee comments he admired Paul's melodic and busy bass lines.

Shak Cohen and tug_of_war like this.
  13. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

There are literally dozens of McCartney bass lines that functioned as a lead instrument prior to Something in 1969.

If anything, Something is one of the final examples of McCartney on “lead bass.”

14. NYSPORTSFAN

I think this song is a great example of a lead bass song in rock music that is also very improvisational as well.

15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

While Paul was an influence, guys like Jack Bruce, John Entwistle Jack Casady and Chris Squire were more of an influence during that era. I haven't gotten there yet, but I think Geddy discusses McCartney's bass in his new book. I only just finished the Fender P-Bass chapter.

16. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Maybe it’s more like everyone assumes that Cream was a massive influence on Rush because of the “power trio” parallel?

limoges and tug_of_war like this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

No, I think they're on record as all being big Cream fans. 1968 (the year in which they formed) was also the 'peak Cream' year.

Catcher10 and ytserush like this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That maybe he true, but Geddy has said numerous times over the years that "The Cream" were an early influence on Rush and Jack Bruce was a huge influence on him in particular in his early days as a bass player.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Geddy got involved somehow in Jeff Berlin's Jack Bruce tribute project in some way.

craigr likes this.
  19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Everything up till about now, Geddy has always referenced Jack Bruce and John Entwistle as major influences as well as John Paul Jones and then later on Chris Squire. I have been a Rush fan since about '76 and reading all the rock mags from back in the day I can't really recall where Geddy (or Rush) spoke of the Beatles as an influence, I am sure there was some.

My suspicion is that Geddy is mentioning Paul McCartney because he gets asked about him so much, so he is being kind and acknowledging him as a bass player. I think Geddy over his career has been more than specific about who his major influences have been, as well as a band.

ytserush, altaeria and moops like this.
  20. NYSPORTSFAN

I have followed Rush since since the late 1970's and it's no big secret.

Paulwalrus and ytserush like this.
  21. Catcher10

I am talking about very early in his career, maybe it was never written about or Geddy did not focus on Paul as much as others. Usually an early influence is carried well into your later career. This interview is only like 4-5 yrs old, so again he may only be acknowledging Paul now due to respect and so many interviewers are specifically asking about the Beatles now. Rush are always going to show themselves are respectful.....

It's no secret that the overriding influence is Cream, Zeppelin and Yes bass players.

22. NYSPORTSFAN

However, the topic is not about who is Rush biggest influences were? Anyhow Geddy Lee lists Jack Cassidy of the Jefferson Airplane as his favorite bass player.

ytserush likes this.
  23. Catcher10

No I understand........what Geddy has recently said too is he is now listening to jazz more because maybe he feels he missed something? Dunno, but that is cool that he is paying some attention to the jazz standup bass players.

angelees likes this.
  24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

If they were a bigger influence, he might have been a better singer and writer.

25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Care to explain to this community how that works?

ytserush and Andersoncouncil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.