Gene Clark: “No Other” Deluxe Reissue, Nov 8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Gase, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, on the run out groove of the Long Ryders record it’s written, “Gram Parsons lives in my body”.

Simon A likes this.
  2. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I did not know that, but I own the record so I checked ... it actually says "Gram lives in my body." But here's the interesting part: On the flip side of the LP, there's more writing on the run-out groove. It says "Bass player wanted, call (213) 392-7989." Ha ha, how about that!!?? Should we call the number?

Electric Sydney and Simon A like this.
  3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

4k UHD refers only to the video\color gamut capability of the format.
    Blu-ray discs can have Atmos, obviously.

4. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I like the outtakes but I disagree with your assertion that
    And that the songs are encumbered by "bogus bells and whistles". That's utter nonsense! The album as a whole delivers a powerful punch as it was originally produced. The outtakes, while interesting and enjoyable would have made a nice album, but I doubt that No Other would have been held in such high regard 45 years later had the album been issued that way. That said, I think that people who share your opinion that No Other was "over-produced" will especially enjoy the outtakes which are excellent too. Ultimately I believe Gene was right with the final product and vision that he delivered.

Chris M, proedros, taramark and 11 others like this.
  5. Just ordered and paid for the deluxe from 4AD. Will it really come with 3 SACDs though?

indigo_m likes this.
  6. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I've had the deluxe box on order since it was announced and after reading the piece posted from 'Echoes', thanks @indigo_m, I'm really revved up about this release. I've admired Gene's musicianship/singing/songwriting since his days in The Byrds and have loved 'No Other' for all the years it's been around. I'm not going to bemoan it's lack of recognition, that's not gonna change things but maybe this release will bring it to the attention of more music fans.

This is definitely going to be the rerelease of the year.

Electric Sydney and indigo_m like this.
  7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Yes and exclusive content to buyers ordering directly from 4AD.

art and indigo_m like this.
  8. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Saw some of your questions about the 4AD reissue so I passed along to them an received the following information for you:

• Boxset is 3 hybrid SACDs so work on CD players
    • Book is just in the boxset but some extracts are in the double CD edition
    • No download on boxset due to publishing issues

9. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Will the CD set be available on Amazon?

10. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I don't think it's over-produced. Yes, it's lavish, lush, heavy even - but it wouldn't be No Other if it wasn't. I do think "Some Misunderstanding" is dragged out - the longest track and possibly the weakest song. Side 2 sags in the middle.

PhilBorder likes this.
  11. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I don't begrudge anyone who loves the album as it was released. I just don't, and it has nothing to do with the songs or Gene's performance. I'm far from alone in that sentiment. Read many of the comments in this thread: Gene Clark-No Other appreciation

12. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

You say tomato... :sigh:

13. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Ver good tip (thank you!) much earlier in this thread about an old thread concerning "Roadmaster". Already owned the CD but the Sundazed version really is superior sonically. Gene can get a bit droney at times but the album sounds like it could have been slotted somewhere between the 2nd and third Byrds album considering all the original Byrds played on the album (some with Clarence). Some tunes very Byrdsy. But by the time Clarence was fully integrated in to The Byrds (very fast, listen to the Playboy After Dark video) he was already driving the band instrumentally. Gene and Roger were headed down different roads but Gene 's superior writing and and great voice might have saved The Byrds from some of the godawful songs that characterized the final Byrds albums. From the posts I've read so far probably holding off on "No Other".

14. Batfish

Batfish Forum Resident

The listing for both versions on Amazon has disappeared. Well, the listing is still there, but it's now showing as 'currently unavailable' - no price, no pre-order option.

Meanwhile, the deluxe box is $167.oo or thereabouts on importcds.com. I'm really tempted by the deluxe set, but that's a lot of money.

Simon A likes this.
  15. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

The 4AD web page has the LP, 2 CD and single CD version available but says deluxe box is out of stock. The company did stress that the deluxe was a very limited edition. It may have sold out.

Simon A and indigo_m like this.
  16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I was just about to ask this—great news.

Thanks!

indigo_m likes this.
  17. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

That's one of the reasons I spent the extra euro ordering the deluxe box direct from 4AD. If it came to a sell-out, I reckon there'd be more chance them delivering rather than a retailer who put the advance order up on their site but may not have the physical product to fulfill orders.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There will be blood if Amazon doesn’t fulfill my preorder! :laugh:

indigo_m and eddiel like this.
  19. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Yeah, same here ... and they took my money right away, and I was glad they did because it felt like I really had one secured. Really glad now I ordered direct.

I’m so pining for this box, along with Dylan Boot Vol. 16, & the Nesmith/Red Rhodes ‘73 live set from 7a - all coming out in the next couple of weeks.

indigo_m likes this.
  20. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

With as much love as Ivo Watts-Russell has shown the music of Gene over the years, I had no compunction about buying direct from 4AD as soon as I could. Even if it meant paying a little more. Not to mention I've loved so much of what 4AD has put out over the years, from Cocteau Twins to Dead Can Dance to Pixies to This Mortal Coil. (Not to mention Bauhaus, Red House Painters, the list goes on...) It's neat to see an official piece of Gene's discography (and a significant one!) produced by 4AD. I really can't wait for this box set.

Noise Annoys, indigo_m, Dok and 2 others like this.
  21. art

art Senior Member

The 4AD site in no longer taking orders for the Deluxe LP/SACD set. Did it sell out already?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  22. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I don’t think Amazon lists it as available for pre-order either.

I ordered through PopMarket. I hope they fill their orders!

23. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

No stand alone vinyl?

24. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

It wouldn't surprise me if it did sell out already. A super expensive deluxe box set for an artist as "cult" as Gene is exactly the kind of product that nobody would know with certainty how many to go to press with.

Mazzy, Simon A and indigo_m like this.