Gene Clark White Light Intervention SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry! Thread Starter

This wasn't even on my radar, but it just popped up at Elusive with a 6/22 release date. Kevin Gray is mastering it,

DmitriKaramazov, art and meterman like this.
  2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I already have this album twice, but if giving IR more money helps them put out the mono mix of ISB's Safe At Home on SA/CD, then I'll bite.

MartinR likes this.
  4. I have this on pre-order from Amazon. Has the date changed? I'm getting one of those "we need a little more time" messages for Amazon.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  5. art

art Senior Member

Can’t wait.

6. Just got mine today! (I cancelled my preorder with Amazon and ordered from IR). A home run Shane! A nice month for a GC fan. I've only given the CD layer a listen to but will be listening to the SACD layer tonight.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Though originally it did not meet a great reception upon its release I fell in love with Gene Clark's No Other. I later got White Light but for myself I was originally disappointed I guess because it wasn't more like No Other. It had been of the back burner of my collection for many years. My loss for not listening to this gorgeous album more over the years. It is truly a wonderful piece of songwriting. I think this new SACD my be a good addition for me.

Dennis Metz and PhantomStranger like this.
  8. It's a fine SACD. The album itself isn't a sonic marvel but there is an appreciable difference in fidelity and soundstage depth over prior CDs.

Joti Cover likes this.
  9. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Received this SACD a week or so ago and have played it twice. Redbook and SACD. It happens to be my favorite Gene Clark title. It sounds fantastic and a definite upgrade over my previous cd. Agree with Phantom Stranger's review above. Looking forward to more releases by Intervention.

10. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I only have the 2013 SHM cd release of this album and am on the fence about ordering the new SACD. I have liked all of the Kevin Gray mastered SACD's I have ever bought, so that is the main reason I am considering this new release.

Has anyone had a chance to compare it to the 2013 SHM release and is it an improvement? Thanks.

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Has anyone compared this to the old Japanese cd?

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

That is the version I currently have. I would be interested to know this also.

13. Instant Karma

My previous copy was the Japanese D32Y. On my modest equipment :) I felt that there was more detail and openness on the SACD than the Japanese disc. I never owned the SHM Cd.

14. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

From my brief comparison with the SHM-CD, the SACD is a worthwhile improvement for me but don't expect huge gains. The main difference is the EQ with the SACD having a darker presentation overall. It's a a very smooth and open sounding disc but of course the SHM is as well. It may come down to personal preference but for me the new SACD is the better sounding disc.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

16. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Thanks for the comparison. I just ordered it today and will reply again after I have listened to both.

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. ady_lister

ady_lister Well-Known Member

Came today for me in UK - the shipping from IR website was $22 so I opted for elusive disc at $12 instead.

But I got stung for a £14 customs fee anyway.

As I mentioned on another thread - no one seems to have noticed that the Japanese SHM-CD has a much longer outro on '1975' that goes on at least another 30 seconds.

So heading straight for that track - it says 4:28 on the disc which raised my hopes, but then only plays 3:59. Does fade out slightly later than the LP, but still too soon for my liking.

And purists might say: "Thats what the original sounded like..." But trust me, when you hear that longer Jesse Ed solo on the Japanese CD, you wanna hear it all the time...

18. Instant Karma

Hi ady lister. Other than the fade on "1975", what was your impression on the sound versus the SHM-Cd? I can totally understand how you feel, but for me personally it's not an issue because I have never heard the extra 30 second fade.

19. DesertTwang

DesertTwang Well-Known Member

OK, the LP just came out, and I'm shocked to find that it goes for $35 on amazon, and for around $50 on Discogs. What am I missing here, other than the fact that $35 for a single-disc reissue seems high to begin with?
    I can get an original pressing of this LP for about the same price on Discogs, starting at around $40. Plus, just a few years ago, Sundazed issued this album, and it can be had for $20 new.

So why would I even consider the Intervention reissue? Or, for that matter, why did this label (which I have never heard of) choose to reissue an album that was just recently reissued on a different label and sells for much less?

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

This product page provides more information about this LP reissue, which should help answer your questions:

https://www.interventionrecords.com/records/white-light-180g-lp-pre-order/

Craig.

indigo_m likes this.
  21. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Also Intervention's New Gene Clark "White Light" Reissue Is Like "No Other" and

indigo_m likes this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great music and great sound.... wonderful reissue.

Fox67, indigo_m and Instant Karma like this.
  23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Had never heard this album before, really liked it especially the last half of the SACD (side two?)
    Nothing to compare to but I think it sounds great, smooth, warm and open.

Fox67 and indigo_m like this.
  24. I'll remind everyone that Sierra Records put out Gene Clark's The Lost Studio Sessions on SACD. It makes for an excellent companion to IR's excellent White Light SACD.

Echo and indigo_m like this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

This applies to any re-issue in general, but because the sound quality is considered the best for a given title./Because the label did the best job of re-mastering.

See also IR's re-release of the first Burritos album.

Also keep in mind that smaller labels have to recoup the cost of licensing and actually taking the time to getting the project done correctly.

Dok likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.