Genesis 180g Vinyl Reissues being released on August 3, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Jul 9, 2018.

1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

Just bought these. I'll report back once I get to hear them.

granata, Metalrob, sheffandy and 2 others like this.
  2. shygurudave

shygurudave Forum Resident

I bought Trespass. Pink Scroll label, poly- lined inner, download card for WAV format files. No mp3.
    1/2 speed master by Miles@ Abbey Rd.
    Flat, perfectly clean and quiet, unlike my experience with some earlier iterations of these titles with paper inners. My Trick Of The Tail was dreadful in 2015 (?) !!!
    Remix of course, but I am in the camp who thinks Trespass was definitely improved by the new mix.
    I am happy to have the original mixes on cd, and the remixes on vinyl...which sound much less brutal than the cds. Which I happily concur are horrible.
    All in all...quality product and recommended.

granata, Metalrob and DiabloG like this.
  3. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Thats my opinion on these - it is great stuff if you can forget about the CD versions and inferior they were compared the vinyl.

Metalrob and shygurudave like this.
  4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Play Fly On A Windshield at maximum volume. Peak audio experience!

agn, box of frogs and richbdd01 like this.
  5. shygurudave

Trespass has the original lyric sheet too.

Mateo Sanboval and tinnox like this.
  6. DiabloG

I'm assuming that the WAV files are identical to the CD?

7. shygurudave

I would imagine so. I don't have the cd anymore to compare, but memory tells me they are the same.

8. DiabloG

I accidentally placed this order twice, so I'm getting 2 shipments. I tried to have Insound cancel the order, but they said it's too late and that a return is necessary for me to get a refund. I'd rather not go through the hassle of returning them and I think it'd be better if I just sold them here. Does anyone want the repeat shipment? Please send me a PM if you do and I'll ship it out to you as soon as I receive it.

mono.edition likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm not a fan of the remixes but just bought a copy of "Selling England..." via Steve Hackett's site as he is signing all copies. It will make for a nice keepsake if nothing else.

shygurudave likes this.
  10. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Do anyone know who pressed these LPs,pressing plant?Same for EU/US?

Tojo likes this.
  11. shygurudave

Mine was pressed in the EU.
    It doesn't mention Abbey Rd as I previously stated.
    It says something like "Miles. The paradigm 1/2 speed process" in the dead wax. I think I saw Miles @ Abbey Rd on a couple of Who albums.
    It also says "LP Box 14. A1/ B1" There is also a long hand etched number beginning with the letters BD on both sides.
    Why lp box 14!!! is anybody's guess.
    I'm still happy they have polylined inners this time around, except I presume for the ones that originally came with printed inners.
    Which is probably all of them after Selling England except ATTW3 and Duke.:shh:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Metalrob likes this.
  12. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I think the letters BD means they are pressed at Optimal Media.
    I guess the "LP Box 14" means it is the same matrixes used as the earlier box-set.

shygurudave and c-eling like this.
  13. DiabloG

Does anyone want my extra copies Cryme, Three, and Wind? If not, I'll just go through with the return process.

14. stagnation

Miles works exclusively at abbey road so that is where the lacquers were cut.

Abbey Road - Engineers - Miles Showell

shygurudave likes this.
  15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Does anyone know what the resolution is of the downloads? If they're WAVs, I'm assuming they're 16/44.1? (I believe the remixes were originally done at 24/48)

TIA!

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just Ordered this to see how good it is. Only have a Polydor pressed small hatter of this. Even ten years ago pink scrolls were fetching high prices.

DiabloG and Metalrob like this.
  17. DiabloG

So does anyone think this is the final time this albums will be released? I highly doubt much else will happen with the catalog, though if the constant repressings of the remixed vinyl are any indication, I except to see these same versions get re-re-released yet again in 2020. ;)

shygurudave likes this.
  18. stagnation

I find strange they are releasing them so soon after the last lot. I got most of mine in the HMV sale last year for £10-£12 a pop and there were multiple copies of albums available.

Like you say though, they will no doubt repressed again in a couple of years, unless the band decide to go back to the original mixes but i can't see that happening (certainly in Banks' lifetime).

What would be nice is if they put out the live albums as they still need to be done in reissued vinyl format - only 'Seconds Out' has been done so far. Even Hackett would like it to happen for the two he is on.

Also i think a definitive 'From Genesis To Revelation' would be nice, replicating the original packaging properly. But as Jonathan King holds the rights and puts out any old version he pleases, and the band aren't interested that probably won't happen either.

DiabloG likes this.
  19. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Strangely the Seconds Out vinyl reissue was only released in Europe, had to order mine as an import. Would be nice to see the whole live catalog reissued, I thought the Seconds Out reissue was fantastic!

20. DiabloG

If anyone has self-titled, We Can't Dance, or Calling All Stations, how are they? I'm especially curious about Stations. I've always liked the album quit a bit, but both CD versions have issues (the original has lots of clipping, while the remix is too bright and a bit more compressed).

21. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Is that the one reissued in 2012 or something? Do you know if that one was re-mixed and remastered too?

22. stagnation

I listened the last pressing of CAS from 2016 a few weeks ago and thought it sounded very good. Benefits from having short sides with it been spread across 3 sides of vinyl

DiabloG likes this.
  23. DiabloG

I'm doing some 16/44 needledrops of the 3 I bought (as well as Foxtrot which I've had for a while). Not doing any critical listening yet, but from what I've heard when sampling the sound through my headphones (Noontec Zoro HD), the EQ was much smoother and not as harsh as the remixed CDs. The mix compression is still there, but again, I want to do some critical listening sometime next week to form a better opinion on these. Bodes well, I suppose. If these impress me, then I'll pick up Trespass, self-titled, and Calling All Stations at some point.

shygurudave, albertop and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Which reminds me I still need to do 3 Sides Live.

25. shygurudave

Yes they are 16/44.1