Genesis: Invisible Touch - What Would You Change?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Genesisfan88, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

No rule but surely think about the context of what you set up. Otherwise they all have a short life.

O Don Piano and Hollow Horse like this.
  2. Genesisfan88

Genesisfan88 Active Member Thread Starter

No it's not (a good point and the weakest link game).

3. Genesisfan88

Well, I'm not trying to break any records here with "thread life", but I see what you mean. Again, I didn't want to hijack the album by album thread which is why I started separate ones. As far as I know you can only create 1 poll per thread, so there you go. Besides, I wasn't planning on doing this for every album. I was just curious what people thought about the extra track replacing some of the album tracks. I can see by some responses on here (not yours) that there is plenty of hating going on in this community so maybe joining it was a mistake in itself?

willy and abzach like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I don't dislike the album ... I wouldn't change it ... If there were some alteration via magic, I would put more real drums on it

5. OptimisticGoat

This is in general not a hating community and if you are a recent arrival I recommend you stick fat. Having said that, not knowing the tracks you have identified, and having not followed Mark’s excellent thread fully due to lack of time, what I was saying is that you are inviting negativity only for this album by asking only that people vote tracks off. Some would vote the whole album off if I read the traditionalist view correctly. A broader poll would compel some evaluation.

O Don Piano and Genesisfan88 like this.
  6. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

7. OptimisticGoat

You are my case study in a nutshell.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It wasn't a question of the rules but more of etiquette. A new thread within less than 24 hours, maybe. 3, which are all variations of the same topic, and as mentioned by OP about the same as Weakest Link.

Point is that it would've given a different impression if you contributed a bit to the forum, and not only about Genesis.

Keep in mind, that this comes from somebody, who's a very big fan and did provide a thoughtful reply to one of your threads. After seeing 2 more, and from such a short time span and having been here a day, it sent a different message. You are, of course, free to do as you please.

O Don Piano and Genesisfan88 like this.
  9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I like it fine the way it is. One of the most melodic pop/rock albums of the '80s, and to my ears, it has aged quite well.

Purple, Sister Disco, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  10. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

I'd never change it. If 12-inch vinyl records could fit more music, I'd throw in Feeding The Fire and Do The Neurotic. Or just have all the B-sides as a bonus EP. Anything goes...

Purple, Sister Disco, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  11. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Er... YES. IT. IS.

12. Genesisfan88

Chill dude. Call it whatever you want, I really don't care...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    abzach likes this.
  13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Exactly. I replied to the Wind And Wuthering thread, then saw 2 more exact threads! I always question OP's motives when there's multiple threads from them in one day. Especially when it's negative in intent.

14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

What to change? The whole album.
    Make the album better? To never release it.

;)

Ps. I like your threads, keep it up and welcome to the forum, don't let anyone bring you down :edthumbs:

Umbari and Genesisfan88 like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

He can be cut slack on the negative thread culture of the forum, having only been a member for one day. Based on the user name and posting history of only posts on just Genesis, that's more curious. Suspect that the message board dried up on their official site and he became a refugee, then just migrated here.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

To start with: the 80s production :hurlleft:

17. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I'd leave it alone, you don't mess with what's become known in some circles as the Bald Thriller. All of the b sides are inferior anyway.

18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Replace Anything She Does with Feeding The Fire. I'd Rather Be You is nice, but I don't want to take away any other songs. Do The Neurotic is cool but it feels like there should be vocals on it, but they never bothered to finish it.

19. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

“In Too Deep”, “Throwing It All Away” and the title track would be the ones I would remove. Not because I don’t like them (I do) but I feel they would have been more at home on a PC solo album.

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Side 1:
    Invisible Touch
    Tonight X3
    Land of Confusion
    In Too Deep

Side 2:
    Feeding The Fire
    Do The Neurotic
    Throwing It All Away
    Domino

21. Genesisfan88

FYI, there is no negative intent here. I'm just asking fans of Genesis to engage in a friendly game of "what if you could change this album." Unless of course you consider that all their albums were perfect to begin with, then you are truly the ultimate Genesis fan. Most people I've spoken to feel there is room for improvement on some of their albums, and that was my purpose for creating three new threads. Again this forum doesn't allow multiple polls in one thread so that's why there are multiple threads. Even so, based on the overblown reaction of some, I'm sure someone would have complained that I created a new thread a day for the next three days so what's the point in waiting?! :sigh:

22. Genesisfan88

:biglaugh:I see your point entirely! Honestly, their 70's albums didn't have much if anything left over and felt those were incapable of being made better with the exception of Seconds Out. That album has glaring omissions that keep it from being a complete show. The band really missed the boat on their live boxset release. They should have released it as an entire concert and re-tracked everything according to the actual setlist. I pulled songs from that tour and remixed my Seconds Out and it came out really good. That's the version I listen to today.

23. Genesisfan88

You are very close. I found this forum based on conversations drying out on fan-based forums. I loved the work Mark did on the album by album thread and joined while that thread was in the 11th hour of being complete. I actually debated getting in on the conversation after seeing how some people are not too civilized in conversation, compared to the previous forums I have been on. I will take into more serious consideration that this forum is not for discussing just one band, so I plan to keep my Genesis threads to a minimum. In fact, I don't see the need to start anymore as I can still comment in the album by album thread as long as Mark doesn't mind my referencing the band's older work. :D

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  24. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I wouldn't change anything as there's nothing good enough to change to. This is my least favorite Genesis album. I literally love everything else including We Can't Dance. Invisible Touch is a great album with great pop songs but I have no use for it as it's not what I like about Genesis. If any of its songs come on the radio, I enjoy them. But the record is a downright bore. And before someone says, "But 'Domino!'" No. Too Miami Vice and the lyrics bother me. Good album but not for me.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

At least its not another inane Beatles thread.

If I had produced Invisible Touch.

Anything
    Domino
    Throwing
    Neurotic

Feeding the Fire
    Land
    Tonight3x
    The Brazilian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.