Genesis on Classic Records-Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thommo577, Jan 2, 2018.

1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

It still amazes me that a quality reissue vinyl program of the original mix albums hasn't been done. AAA would be the best, but I'd take hi rez/DSD type reissues if done well. It seems so obvious the need for this reissue program. The 1/2 speed Seconds Out(this is the original mix?) perhaps hints at more to come?

2. Kinda Krimson

Kinda Krimson Well-Known Member

There was a great AAA vinyl reissue series done by Classic Records in 2001 of the Gabriel era only. They are now out of print and expensive.

That 1/2 speed master of Seconds Out is for the 2009 remix. Sounds great, but not the original mix. I'm afraid Genesis is done with the original mix being reissued at this point.

3. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

These Classic still definitive? They're a fortune, but making sure (like the Who) they're still the easiest im(if not cheapest) way to get the best from these on vinyl.

4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I personally don’t think the Classic reissues were all that hot. I remember I once shot mine out with my UK Charismas and ended up selling the Classics.

The Classics just didn’t have the same kind of balance. Opened up a bit too much in the top end for me.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I like them a lot. Only Foxtrot was kind of disappointing since the recording and mix was so poor on side one to begin with.

6. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Very torn - they're a bloody fortune, but if they're my go to (sheen I'm not listening to SACD ver) then worth the investment.

Grrr...this damn hobby

7. Leonthepro

Just get Lamb and Nursery, the others will do fine as UK originals.

8. dubious title

dubious title Senior Member

I have fairly pristine UK first pressings of every Genesis LP, aside from Revelation (a second UK will have to do), and was hoping they would be final copies. I had the very good fortune recently to buy a Classic of SEBTP for $20 in like new condition. Like most I have a pretty keen sense of sussing out a different pressing and knew this was not the recent Rhino just from looking at it. I assume that's what they thought it was. Compared it to my two lovely first UK SEPTP records and it bettered both by a considerable measure. Quiet playing surface, much more clarity and air, it just sounded fresher all around. My two UK copies tend to suffer from audio anomalies near the end of each side, this was not the case with the Classic. Also heard TLLDOB on a friends mega buck system and it quickly revealed itself to be the best sounding Lamb. As you probably know the first has the troublesome hum.

It brings me no pleasure to realize any of this. It's expensive and challenging to collect all the original LPs, but the Classics I've heard are considerably better.

ParloFax likes this.
  9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I've only heard The Lamb on a digital transfer and it's sounds amazing.

10. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

You got a $200 record for $20?

I'm doing this wrong.

J.Hammershaug and Buddybud like this.
  11. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I caved... :(

Listening to "Musical Box" now, and so far so good...

12. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Skipped ahead to LAMB - I've got a 77 Porky pressing that I threw in briefly - kind of startling how different it is to the Classic. Those mentioning that these were bright obviously have different setup/ears than me, as the Classic seems dripping with midrange and low-end, without any sibilance or brittleness.

The levels on all of them are lower, needing a bit of a volume bump, but the end result is pretty damn wide sound stage. The Moog pedals on Broadway Melody of 1974 are delicious on my 802d2 setup, all rounded body without any rattle. A =very= different sound than the SACD, which, of course, is entirely the point.

If someone is getting rid of their Foxtrot lemme know :)

13. Leonthepro

Lamb varies a lot in quality, like most Genesis albums. Some tracks are thinner and brighter than others while some are great.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wasn't the 1974 German vinyl of Lamb supposed to be on par with the Classic?

Also, do all the Classics (180g and 200g) of Lamb use that awful USA-1980's era Atco label?

15. dubious title

I did. It happened in your home town too. Sonic Boom.

Be happy for me, it rarely happens. A couple of key factors - not the coolest band, big store and somewhat inexperienced staff. I usually find their pricing more than fair. Fantastic store and hope they're doing well.... they say they are.

Glad you're liking the Classics, I really didn't want to believe it, and I only have one.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  16. dubious title

I have the German and don't feel its got some special mojo over the first UK or early UKs. That sound pretty close to me. I believe that theory was put forward by the legendary and long absent Jeff Carney. It does indeed have the brutally ugly Atco label.

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

*Gosh who were the goons that decided to use a 1980's Atco label rather than the original 1974 Charisma label?
    *Why did Jeff Carney leave?
    *I have a sealed 200g Classic of Lamb. Keep toying with whether I open it or sell for a cool $200. I have a 1974 German Charisma coming in the mail. My early German of SEBTP is stellar.

18. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I am indeed happy for you, and definitely haven't been that lucky at Boom ;)

dubious title likes this.
  19. Calledun

Calledun Member

Hi! I´m new in the progress of finding the best Genesis records. Just wondering, can somebody please explain to me what is a "classic genesis vinyl"? And what is the differece between a classic record and other records?

20. Leonthepro

Tjena! Are you familiar with the concept of different masterings and mixes?
    Classic Records is a reissue label that focused on putting out classic titles as faithful reproductions of originals but with audiophile aimed mastering during the 90s and 2000s.
    They have put out several Genesis reissues from Nursery to The Lamb and some regard these as among if not the best versions of the albums that you can hear. They are now quite expensive though.

21. Calledun

Calledun Member

Tjabba! I think I understand. First thougt that a Classic was the "original". Then I will have to check all my Genesis records and try to find out if any of them is a Classic. Is there an easy way to tell?

22. Leonthepro

The easiest way to tell is by the runout matrix.
    Are you familiar with Discogs and how to find pressings on there?
    You are very unlikely to have one as Classic Records Pressings are rarely found in Du gamla du fria but you might have some original pressings.
    Do take notice of the difference between Original vs First pressings however, as originals might not always be as attractive as First pressings.

23. dubious title

Lots of money and what Leon succinctly said. Approximately $700 for 4 records. I have the pink scroll presses and firsts of SEBTP and the Lamb and the Classics are regrettably the way to go if you're looking for the best presentation of these amazing albums on vinyl. I do very much like having the first presses though, I just bought a first of Genesis to Revelation.

You occasionally get lucky and find a Classic for $20 as I did a year ago. Lots of Genesis records and with the newer reissues people can be lazy and not properly ID them, that and Genesis records are not especially cool.

24. Calledun

Calledun Member

Thats another question. Pink Scroll press?

25. Leonthepro

The Pink Scroll is a label design that was used my Charisma during the early 70s.
    The UK first press of Nursery Cryme and Trepass are the only ones to have it and they are quite rare:
    [​IMG]

The first US Foxtrot also has this design but is not nearly as rare or desirable as its not what you would truly consider a First Press, but instead an Original US press.