Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

So a guy who's been dead since 1987 is co-financing the Genesis reunion tour?

:yikes:

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yeah. Never heard that on Philly radio.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

TSS = Tony Stratton-Smith

4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I think that was understood, but he's long dead, hence the face.

Jimbino likes this.
  5. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Oh snap! I meant Tony Smith! hahahaha - different guy

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Related?

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I caught a BBC tv news story about the upcoming reunion tour. Phil Collins looks like he has one foot in the grave. He can still sing (judging by the performance clips in the story), but has to sit on a chair through-out.

8. CybrKhatru

I don't believe so!

Rfreeman likes this.
  9. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

Poor Phil. The others are old but look in good health, whereas Phil looks and sounds completely wrecked. I can’t imagine why he’s putting himself through it.

J_D__ likes this.
  10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Citation needed!

Mike has said that after Steve went public with his dissatisfaction about being downplayed in the documentary, that he contacted Steve to assure him that neither he nor Tony had any say in the editing/final cut of the documentary, and that neither one of them liked the documentary much either (among other reasons because they agreed with Steve that minimizing him was unfair).

I don't know if Steve actually chose to make public the point that he was dissatisfied, or if he only mentioned it when asked why he wasn't offering the DVD of it for sale on his website. He also pointed out that he was selling the related CD comp on his website because it was fair and balanced - he got three solo tracks on it just like everyone else did).

As for how the meeting went down - Peter declined and left. Then Steve left. THEN and only then did the others (according to Phil) say 'well, what about the three of us then?'.

A four-man reunion would make little sense as it would be essentially touring the "Seconds Out" album.

With the five man lineup they were ALL in the band (with Phil on drums) so everyone would just go back to the old roles they had before Peter quit in 1975.

A four man lineup reunion wouldn't be like that - unless they ONLY played songs from the 4 man-era (2 albums worth + a 3 song EP and one B-Side).

Anything beyond that strays into other eras where one (or two) of the four were not involved either at all - Steve (or not involved in the same way - Phil singing 5 man era songs).

IE - I doubt Phil would want to sing a setlist that was half (at least) full of songs Peter had sung originally, and I doubt Steve would have wanted to play guitar on any of the post W&W tracks....and he absolutely would not be happy about being asked to play bass on some of those songs the way Daryl (as a hired hand - rather than a band member) was required to do.

Plus - Peter's name being attached to a Genesis tour would sell tickets (even to those who don't know he was ever a member of the band - and who would assume its a Peter and Sting type tour (ie 2 unrelated 80s superstars - Pete and Phil - along with "Phil's backing band" duetting on Sledgehammer and Sussudio) and buy tickets on that assumption.

Steve's name would certainly mean nothing to those people. I'd say its far more likely that a four man reunion never did/won't ever happen because it just isn't very practical/workable - not because as you seem to be claiming Mike (+Tony?) hates Steve.

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I think he just genuinly misses playing with Mike and Tony, and is willing to push himself for one last chance to do this.

ARK, Ryan Lux, MikeVielhaber and 2 others like this.
  12. ries

ries Forum Resident

he was in that exact same state during his solo tour in 2017-2019, Im suprised people now just find out?

ARK, iskiv and MikeVielhaber like this.
  13. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Sitting on a chair - or even a wheelchair - does not mean "one foot in the grave". People, even older ones, can continue meaningful lives even if they aren't able to be as active as in their younger years.

DiabloG, JulesRules, ARK and 4 others like this.
  14. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Maybe it's in part so he can share the experience with his son. If he (Phil) gets some enjoyment out of it, it might be a wonderful memory for him even if he has to push himself to get it done

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

...and to share the "Genesis experience"/play music with his son.

16. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

While acknowledging a 4-man reunion is very unlikely, such a tour has an abundance of material to draw on - all the albums from Trespass through Wind and Wuthering.

JulesRules, Orino, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  17. CybrKhatru

I hope this is true too.

This is just speculation, but maybe he also feels that working with the guys will be good for his health.... as someone else said earlier, he doesn't seem to do well when off the road or not working on a project.

18. CybrKhatru

yes..this too.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

And his mental health too. When you get disabled, the feeling of being needed/wanted is such a positive boost.

20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

,,,but like I said - would Phil actually want to sing a setlist AT LEAST half full of songs that he didn't originally sing? I highly doubt it. I suppose you could try to argue that 'well he was willing to do it then (in 1976/77) so why not now (or in 2007)'?

Well because at that time there weren't a bunch of future/as yet unrecorded albums that Phil sings on to draw from, and Phil wasn't a real writer back then (contributing only a few bits to other's songs here and there) whereas starting with Duke he was an equal writer to the others, so why would he want to sing only old songs that he had no connection with as a writer or as a singer? OTOH I'm sure he would have been more than happy to do a reunion playing drums on all those songs (with Peter singing like he did on those early albums).

Progatron and Rfreeman like this.
  21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

From the BBC interview:
    "We're all men of our age, and I think to some extent, I think it probably is putting it to bed," he said. "I think yeah, I think just generally for me, I don't know if I want to go out on the road anymore."

The UK shows will happen, but I don't think the U.S. leg will actually be maintained. :(

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't think the band will cancel with their own money on the line - and insurance would not cover that unless they had far more severe medical issues than Phil's present ones.
    Delta could cancel them sure.

Zongadude likes this.
  24. ries

ries Forum Resident

Just find it highly amusing people are loosing their **** about how Phil looks, ehm guys, this is how he looks since 2017?

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It's never happening, so I don't know why anybody brings it up.

Hackett's fantastic, and as much as I like what Daryl Stuermer has done all these years, I'd take Steve over Daryl in a heartbeat. Again, it's not happening, just like Bill Bruford isn't coming out of retirement to play with any version of Yes (pick one, it's still not happening).

Steve's own band is excellent, btw. Whenever they manage to come 'round here again, I'll be there.

Fusionfan and Progatron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.