Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm running out of things to say about this record, so what the hell, how about some liner notes?
    No revelations to be found here (ha), but there are a couple quotes from Banks and Rutherford near the end that may be of some interest.

[​IMG]

2. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

And yet #2 behind ... Rush ! Let's gush about how great Rush is !

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

No no no, time for the Twilight Zone theme AND the X Files theme. Simutaneously.

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That would be the drink of choice, then, at the twilight alehouse?

5. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Going back to books as was mentioned earlier, Genesis are in my top five bands along with Queen, The Beach Boys, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin - however compared to those bands they are very poorly served when it comes to books on them. 'Chapter and Verse' is very good, 'Evolution of a rock band' by Armando Gallo which I have from the late 70s is good too;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-Ev...&qid=1539936245&sr=1-1&keywords=armando+gallo

Unsure of how much contect from this was used in later Armando books on the band.

There is this bio;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-Bi...=1539935989&sr=8-3&keywords=genesis+biography

which is okay from the 90s, one of the authors briefly ran a secondhand record shop in Exeter where I live - we used to chat about Genesis a bit.

I'd love to read some decent song-by-song kind of book on the band with a bit of musical analysis and background - you'd think for such a 'musical' band there would be a ton, but sadly the only one that springs to mind is the 'Complete guide' by Chris Welch in that Omnibus Press series which came out a few years ago. It's far from essential and he doesn't even like the Lamb and doesn't offer any real insight into anything.

There is however this book on the Lamb, which I used to have but later sold, it's very indepth - perhaps a bit too much so for me!;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-Br...=1539935847&sr=8-1&keywords=genesis+lamb+book

Additionally there's a recent series of books called 'Experiencing....a listeners companion', I have ones on Zeppelin and Sabbath and they are very good and indepth, there is one on Gabriel which also includes his Genesis work - though I don't have it as it's quite pricey, there is a preview here;

Experiencing Peter Gabriel

Reading the info from this preview it looks pretty good - not too bothered about Gabriel's solo work, wish it just carried on with the rest of the Genesis catlogue in this vein.

6. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Here's the Theme From Swan Lake that served as an intro to Build Me A Mountain. Recording lifted from Ant's acetate copy of an early configuration of FGTR:

7. peterpyser

And here's the wonderful Fireside Song without strings as found on the 50 Years Ago compilation:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  8. peterpyser

The new stereo mix of On the Trail of the One Eyed Hound:

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

That was great. Should have been on the album.

10. peterpyser

The beautiful new mix of The Silent Sun without strings:

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Nice, thank you!

12. peterpyser

The rocking rough mix of In The Wilderness first published on Genesis Archive 1967-75:

13. peterpyser

The new mix of One Day, without stings as well:

bob_32_116 and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

The Conqueror
    This is a cool little song. We have some alternately panned vocals with Gabriel alternating between left and right speakers. We have a more central music mix, which certainly helps the music seem more balanced. This song moves along at a nice pace and is based around a fairly simplistic chord sequence, but as a whole the song stands up pretty well ... Although not classic Genesis, I think I need to get myself a copy of this album.

The MEZ and Thievius like this.
  15. peterpyser

The new mix of A Place to Call My Own. Standout singalong coda, it reminds me of the ending of Stagnation from the 22 february 1970 BBC Night Ride session:

16. mark winstanley

In Hiding
    This song probably could have been on Odessa ... This is a nice tune and Gabriel does a very sweet vocal. We have the bulk of the instruments sitting on the left and those strings commanding the right channel.

John54 and Thievius like this.
  17. peterpyser

The new stereo mix of In Hiding without strings:

18. peterpyser

The new stereo mix of Where The Sour Turns To Sweet without strings:

19. mark winstanley

20. peterpyser

The new mono mix of In Limbo. Longer ending:

21. peterpyser

The new mono mix of Window. Longer ending:

22. peterpyser

A Winter’s Tale (multiple mono takes with studio chatter):

23. peterpyser

The new mono mix of That's Me:

The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  24. peterpyser

Image Blown Out as featured on Genesis Archive 1967-75. This is the completed track which was ultimately left off FGTR (not the 1967 demo as incorrectly stated on the video), an inferior version both for sound quality and performance is included on the 50 Years Ago compilation:

25. peterpyser

This is the completed version of Visions Of Angels which was left off FGTR:

I was joking, it's still unreleased, unfortunately