Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

This isn’t totally relevant yet, but does anybody know if the Gabacabriel LP of the Mikton Keynes show has decent sound or not?

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I heard a bootleg with that name (Gabacabriel) in the late 1980s. It was a vinyl bootleg and the sound was awful.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I have no idea but

Genesis - Gabacabriel

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I like Paperlate - solid catchy song in their '80/'81 style.

You Might Recall is fine.

Me & Virgil is neither here nor there.

5. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

+1
    Clearly, my memories of 3SL original vinyl are not complete. I'm afraid to YouTube it...!

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Paperlate got stuck in my head again. Great.

Good EP - much better than the two albums it got stuffed inbetween. I'm glad they scrapped the idea of a second disc for Abacab in favor of this short, nice 3-song collection.

7. mark winstanley

It seems we want to hook right into it and I have a few minutes so

Paperlate
    "Paperlate" is a song from the second of two EPs by the British rock group Genesis. The EP, titled 3×3 (as it featured three tracks and the band comprised three musicians), peaked at No. 10 on the UK Singles Chart in mid-1982. The success of the EP led to an appearance on Top of the Pops. In the U.S., "Paperlate" was released as a standard single, backed by "You Might Recall." It was also featured on the U.S. version of the band's Three Sides Live album, of which all three tracks from the 3×3 EP are included on Side Four.

The title came from a line in the 1973 Genesis song "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" ("Paper late, cried a voice in the crowd"), which Genesis rehearsed at a soundcheck, leading to the conception of the song. "Paperlate" is one of two Genesis songs that features the Earth, Wind & Fire horn section, the other being "No Reply at All", also from the Abacabsessions.[1] Collins has often hired the group for other projects, including his debut solo album, Face Value.[2] A music video was also created, utilising the band's 27 May 1982 appearance on Top of the Pops.[3]

---------------------------------------------
    I think this is a great song, and personally the only connection with No Reply At All is the horns ... to me they are completely different songs.
    It starts with a really nice fill and rolls into a bright and breezy song that tips its hat to Dancing With The Moonlit Knight.
    I like everything about the song. It is well paced, well arranged and well written. I don't see that there is anything about it that would have kept it off the album to be honest.

8. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Thanks, looking for a good version of this show, but all I can find is the LP

9. mark winstanley

You Might Recall
    A nice staccato opening theme gives us a cool intro. We move into a somewhat ballad style song and then it picks up a little with the rhythms sounding slightly Latin American, but only slightly.
    This is a very cool song to me, that again, I personally don't hear any reason it wouldn't have sounded right with the other songs. It is definitely new school Genesis. Again it has a fairly bright and breezy feel about it.
    Although the little staccato section isn't reggae, it does borrow a reggae feel.
    The guitar riff is really cool also.
    This is another great song and I think the band had a really successful first session in their new studio setup.

pablo fanques likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Genesis - ...And Then There Were Six

There's that cd, with rehearsals also, but discogs won't sell it according to their policies

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Paperlate is a fabulous pop funk confection. It does sound like a Phil solo track, but in this case that is a compliment and it would be one of his best solo tracks if it were. Though not a long song at all, it does repeat a fair amount and I might have cut it down to more like 2:50.

LeBon Bush and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Me And Virgil
    I don't particularly dislike this song.
    It is certainly stripped back, but not particularly bad at all. It comes across to me as one of Genesis' typically quirky little songs.
    Perhaps it is a little too long for its own good, but I don't dislike it at all.

13. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Well, i would have liked a song a day as usual for 3x3.
    It's not that this is a throwaway release, far from it.
    So, let's give those songs some dignity.
    One per day.

Rfreeman likes this.
  14. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I didn't hear the full Abacab album until the summer of 1987 when my buddy loaned me it on cassette. One day I left it on my dashboard and the case warped from the heat. When I popped in the tape and "Who Dunnit?" came on I was sure the tape itself was ruined.

I never knew there was a video for "Keep It Dark" all these years. I've watched it more than a couple times now and it puts a smile on my face every time.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the starting point of this EP must have been that they didn’t want to put both “Paperlate” and “No Reply At All” on the album, but both songs had commercial potential so they didn’t want to dump one or put it on a b-side. And then if you’re going to do an EP there should be something else that’s good on it so they held back “You Might Recall”... or so it seems to me. Maybe they thought there was something lacking about it, though I’m not sure what.

Meanwhile someone in the band (Phil?) disliked “Me and Virgil” so much they kept it unavailable on CD for 25 years. It’s not that bad surely?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Paperlate

It takes the template from No Reply at All and turns it into a better song. It was smart to not have both on the album. Cool chord changes in the verses. Catchy chorus, but there's not a whole lot to it. The horns feel better on this than NRAA. That bridge puts some really unexpected chords in there, very cool. Great bass line from Mike on the song. I don't remember Paperlate from being a kid, but my older brother used to sing it all the time. I think this is a great song and better than No Reply.

So, are we doing all 3 songs today?

pantofis and Rojo like this.
  17. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I'm really bothered by the "Pa, you broke her heart" section with the little following melody lines, as well as the concluding outro.
    Otherwise, the rest is not too bad, actually. I do hear The Band influence in the first and closing sections, and that's a nice nod.

pantofis and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Yes!!!!!!!! Not a lot of people know this but I love Paperlate, hey did I ever mention that I love Paperlate?

Rojo, Rfreeman and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Having relistened to those three tracks for the first time in a long time it really makes me rethink the whole structure of Abacab as an album....

For me if it had to be a single album

Side One
    Abacab 6:58
    No reply At All 4:33
    Me And Sarah Jane 6:02
    You Might Recall 5:30

Side Two
    Keep It Dark 4:33
    Man On The Corner 4:28
    Paperlate 3:20
    Like It Or Not 4:58
    Dodo/Lurker 7:31

That would probably be a better tracklist for me, and raised the albums score or value or whatever we want to call it, in my opinion.

But based on the songs, and also the band just tightening/finishing up a couple of the songs Naminanu, Submarine and Me and Virgil, I would still have liked the double album

Side One
    Abacab ......................6:58
    Paperlate ...................3:45
    Me And Sarah Jane ...6:02
    ..................................16:45

Side Two
    No Reply At all ..........4:33
    Me And Virgil ............6:18
    Keep It Dark ..............4:33
    Whodunnit ................3:22
    ..................................18:46

Side Three
    Dodo suite ................16:00

Side Four
    You Might recall .........5:30
    Man On The Corner ...4:28
    Like It Or Not .............4:58
    Another Record ..........4:38
    ...................................18:34

and having a quick look i still like this running order

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

I was going to do a song per day, but Guys were already writing their perspective on the songs, so I assumed and perhaps incorrectly that they wanted them up.

Anyhow
    Please inform me!
    Let me know if you want me to pause for a couple of days while folks go through these three tracks please guys. I obviously misread the thought process going on here.

21. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Paperlate - At the time one of my favorite songs from the the Abacab period. Now it sounds a bit repetitive. No Reply was the better of the two EWF songs IMO.

I'll just do one song I guess.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You Might Recall - I really enjoy this track. The instrumental section that occurs 3x is very rhythmically cool - seems something interesting is happening with the time signature but I can't nail it down. Would appreciate if anyone else can. Instrumental contributions from are all 3 are very nice, and I especially enjoy the bass flourishes. Appealing lyrics, that are accessible without being obvious. A wistful post divorce song. I definitely prefer this to the first 2 tracks on side 2 of Abacab.

freemanl and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Very strong EP. I think any or all of these tracks could have made Abacab a stronger album. "Me and Virgil" seems to be a divisive track... I always thought it was okay, but it does sound sort of unfinished and perhaps a poor cousin to the far-superior "The Roof is Leaking." Also, has the western/frontier vibe of "Ballad of Big" and "Deep in the Motherlode," to some extent.

24. Its' not their strongest song and the melody is not particularly memorable, but it isn't an embarrassment either and like Match Of The Day it really should have been included in the second Archives box set.

25. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I vote for keep it at one per day.