Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

I guess more is relative - I like it more than I did before you started this thread. That's progress, right?

Honestly - going through the whole discography like this has made me appreciate their body of work more. There isn't an album we've done so far that I haven't learned something new or heard something different to appreciate.

Paul King, enro99 and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

That is cool.... Same for me really. I actually wasn't expecting to like Invisible Touch, but it's a really good album .... yea I know guys it's terrible ... sorry :)

Ryan Lux, Joe McKee and Paul King like this.
  3. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I really don't have a problem with the 'oldies medley' that accompanies TIA. In context, it's works quite well with the song. I think it's great the band, especially Phil is paying tribute to the acts that shaped / inspired them. That goes for pretty much any act I've seen live. It's outright fun.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

No drama, cane farmer. FWIW - you just inspired me to dig out my vinyl copy of ATTWT. I hope the neighbors are enjoying it, too.

Love,
    Billy

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  5. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

It’s taken me over three decades and now I’m almost certain IT is a decent record ;)

6. mark winstanley

lol

sheffandy likes this.
  7. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

The above is quite an interesting interview from 1986 including details of how they adapted the lyrics of In Too Deep for Mona Lisa and also some interesting body language when they're talking about the oldies medley...so it seems kind of appropriate at this point of the thread

8. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

IT was kinda ok for me. I gave it some serious listens for this thread and I have to say - many of the criticisms are valid but it’s a very good album in spite of its flaws. Enjoying it more than I have in a long time.

It’s gotten a lot of plays recently and now I am on to the live shows.

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Can you imagine showing up to the Invisible Touch tour when this happens

It's not the entire thing but... it's Supper's Ready.

10. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I did, and I lost my freakin’ mind. Totally unprepared for that. I had expected the whole night to be pablum but got THAT too!

11. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

33 years ago ... wow. IT can’t be that old !

RBtl, Rojo and mark winstanley like this.
  12. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Shocking isn't it. Tony looks like a teenager!

13. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Phil is singing his guts out. It fits the piece perfectly.

1986. Wow. Talk about breaking cliches.

14. mark winstanley

Tonight Tonight Tonight
    Probably my favourite song on the Invisible Touch album and here it is presented really well .... I probably don't play this dvd enough.... I enjoy it a lot.

15. mark winstanley

Throwing It All Away
    Phil's additions will probably annoy some folks from what I have read here so far, but I like the arrangement from a concert perspective

16. mark winstanley

Home By The Sea
    This song always seems to work well live, and that is where I first actually enjoyed the song.

17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I vividly recall the start of the In The Cage medley on that tour ... when Phil announced that "we're gunna go all the way back to 1972 for some of this one ... when we all wore kaftans" ... and I was trembling with anticipation. This was pre-interwebs so I had no idea what was in the setlist ... and they dropped into Supper's Ready (maybe after In The Quiet Earth? Can't recall now) ... it was totes awsum, before totes or awsum were even invented :righton:

--Geoff

18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I remember Home By The Sea when I saw them in concert. The thunderstorm and rain outside were so loud you could hear it inside of Kemper Arena in Kansas City. It gave a good backdrop to the song.

19. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

I recall attending one of the New York shows at MSG. This clip was strangely exciting; despite its poor resolution the closing section was spectacular with the lights flooding Phil. I thought he was going to levitate. Nice to get a breather from Afterglow—9/8 easily held its own as a replacement.

20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I can see that. That place seemed, as I recall, to be made of corrugated metal or something. I saw Springsteen there once.

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  21. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

yeah that performance of Supper's Ready gives the one on SEconds Out a run for it's money; really amazing, too bad there aren't better recordings of it.

mark winstanley and The_Windmill like this.
  22. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I've been on vacation so I missed the "Invisible Touch" album section.

This was the first Genesis album of whose release I was fully aware of ... and it came as a big disappointment.

I now see it as a good (but not great) pop album. The best songs are the "Invisible Touch" and "Throwing it All Away" -- both short, direct, melodic and full of hooks.

"Domino" is OK, although it sounds a bit dated now. "The Brazilian" is the most inventive piece here IMO.

23. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I was at one of the MSG shows (in fact my final Genesis concert). The awful thing for me was that they followed "Supper's Ready" (which was sublime) with "Invisible Touch". I wanted to cry and vomit at the same time.

AidanB, mark winstanley and DMGuy like this.
  24. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Clearly they had to satisfy their new fan base after throwing the die-hards a bone.

That's not fair: they threw the die hards an entire T-Rex skeleton!

25. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I had a similar experience at the LA Forum. Lots of surprised appreciative shouts when Apocalypse starts like in this MSG video. Old fans, or simply fans of the old material, get their faces melted.

Then the drum machine for Invisible Touch kicks in, and when the music starts, this wild squeal of teenage girls erupts, like a Justin Bieber concert. They couldn't have made a more jarring juxtaposition of tunes. But...such was Genesis live in 1986. The sublime.....and the insipid.