Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I reckon it's very good, another album that benefited from this revisit

2. mark winstanley

Oh , I asked the question yesterday or the day before and I was told 30 seconds counts as a hit .... which to me would be ridiculous

pablo fanques and The_Windmill like this.
  3. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

Funny that, those are the two tracks from W&W that didn't survive long on my hard drive, either. Even without them it's a decent length album at 38 minutes, I can't help thinking how much better (louder) it would sound on vinyl without the deadweight.

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Still going through these live tracks, huh?

We can't advance.

mx20 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

Like we have the whole thread. That was the last one

LivingForever likes this.
  6. NettleBed

I just took the opportunity to use a pun - no actual criticism intended.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

Sorry I missed it, I was rushing :)
    I gotcha

8. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I checked. Apparently it is. At least according to "the community". And yes, it is pretty absurd.

9. NettleBed

On a more positive note, doesn't that mean a royalty for as little as 30 seconds played?

10. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Of course. It also means more opportunities to game the system. It's one of the reasons YouTube wants most of the video played before counting it as a revenue generator.

11. mark winstanley

Word on the street is the royalty for a web hit is substantially lower that that of a sale, but it's good at least that there is one.

pablo fanques likes this.
  12. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

IMHO A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are excellent Genesis pieces start to finish. Excellent stuff! Going to see The Musixal Box this summer, way looking forward to that show!

13. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Which of course leads to the irony of Phil WANTING to do SR on the 2007 Tour and being shot down by Mike and Tony. I had third row seats to that show in Albany. Would have KILLED for SR or the closing section of Musical Box. Oh well, 'Ripples' definitely sent chills

14. mark winstanley

[​IMG]
    Released 6 November 1989
    Recorded April–October 1989
    Studio The Farm, (Chiddingfold, Surrey), A&M Studios, (Los Angeles, California)
    Length 59:42 (CD), 54:25 (LP)
    Label Virgin
    Producer Phil Collins, Hugh Padgham

...But Seriously is the fourth studio album by English drummer and singer-songwriter Phil Collins, released on 6 November 1989 in the US by Atlantic Records and on 20 November 1989 in the UK by Virgin Records. After Genesis took a break in activity in 1987 Collins resumed his solo career, first starring in the film Buster followed by writing and recording ...But Seriously. The album has a more serious tone than his previous album, No Jacket Required, and several songs have lyrics concerning socio-economic and political issues.

...But Seriously was a huge commercial success worldwide, reaching No. 1 in the UK and the US for 15 and 4 non-consecutive weeks, respectively. It was the best selling album of 1990 in the UK, eventually selling 2.75 million copies there and 4 million in the US. The lead single "Another Day in Paradise" won a Grammy Award for Record of the Year. Collins supported the album with the Seriously, Live! World Tour in 1990. In 2016, the album was remastered with additional studio, live, and demo tracks, and updated artwork.[1][2]

----------------------------------------
    I only recently got this album to be honest, and I haven't had a chance to give it a listen yet, the schedule is a bit tight at the moment, but I am looking forward to it.
    When this came out, I was in a different place and Genesis and Phil were far from my mind. I was in the process of starting a life in bands, writing and playing and all the fun stuff that goes with that. I was starting to get into much wider fields of music than rock and pop and as much as I liked the songs I had heard from both bands, I was a young man on a road of discovery, and I was fairly comfortable that I knew what these guys were going to do ... whether I was right or wrong, that was where I was at.
    From what I can tell by the knowledge I have of it, this is a very good album.
    I always really liked this song from the album.

15. mark winstanley

[​IMG]
    Released 28 October 1988
    Recorded 18 April – 18 August 1988
    Studio The Farm, Surrey
    Genre Rock, soft rock, pop rock
    Length 47:11
    Label Atlantic, WEA
    Producer Christopher Neil, Mike Rutherford

Living Years is the second album by Mike + The Mechanics, released in 1988. The album reached number 13 on the Billboard 200 and number 2 on the UK Albums Chart.[1]
    Mike Rutherford began writing songs for the album in September 1987, shortly after the conclusion of Genesis's Invisible Touch Tour. However, he found himself immediately stricken with writer's block, a circumstance he attributes to stress over the complications with his wife's current pregnancy, which nearly ended in the death of the child. The baby (Rutherford's third) was safely delivered in November, and Rutherford said that the relief made him feel "like a new man". In January he entered an extremely prolific songwriting period, and by the end of the month he had what he and producer/co-writer Christopher Neil felt was a good album's worth of material. In light of this, Neil wanted to move up the recording sessions, which had been scheduled for April. Rutherford vetoed the idea, however, and with his burst of inspiration still running, most of the songs that eventually appeared on the album were written over the next two months.[2]
    ------------------------------------
    Again with this album, I was elsewhere in my life, so I know very little about it, but I will say that the title track "Living Years" is a fantastic song, thoroughly beautiful and poignant, and something I think Robertson and Rutherford can be very proud of.

16. mark winstanley

[​IMG]
    Released August 1989
    Recorded 1988–1989
    Genre Rock
    Length 53:35
    Label Virgin
    Producer Tony Banks, Steve Hillage

Bankstatement is a studio album by Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks, issued under a band name and released in 1989. The other band members were singers Alistair Gordon[1] and Jayney Klimek. Banks had the idea for Bankstatement after hearing of the success that Mike + The Mechanics were having in both Europe and America. It was Banks' third studio album (his first issued under a band name and fifth album overall). Steve Hillage, of the band Gong, played guitar and co-produced the album with Banks.

--------------------------------
    I will admit to knowing nothing of virtually any of Banks solo work, so I am relying on you guys that follow his solo career to fill us in here.

17. mark winstanley

Still
    [​IMG]

Released April 1991
    Recorded 1990-1991
    Genre Rock
    Label Virgin
    Producer Tony Banks, Nick Davis

Released in 1991 on Virgin Recordsin the UK and Giant Records in the U.S. The album was originally going to be named after the track Still It Takes Me by Surprise, but was later shortened to Still. Despite a fairly heavy promotional effort by Giant Records, the album failed to sell well.
    -------------------------
    I kind of get the impression that Tony was desperately trying to find himself some solo success, like Mike and Phil had found, but the music world is a harsh place and it never really eventuated for solo Tony .... I'm not sure if it's just one of those things, or if he was just following the wrong trail.
    Banks is definitely a talented musician and writer, but perhaps his time was passed in some ways. People enjoyed his progressive writing and it seems like (from an outsider with limited knowledge of his solo efforts) the modern 80's 90's world wasn't really a good fit for him as a solo artist ... it is mere speculation, and I'm sure you guys more familiar can answer this correctly for me, but it seems like Tony wasn't really suited to the pop/rock chart type music, that Phil and Mike seemed to gravitate to reasonably easily.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  18. mark winstanley

Word Of Mouth
    [​IMG]

Released 2 April 1991
    Recorded 1990–91
    Studio The Farm Surrey
    Genre Rock
    Length 45:44
    Label Atlantic, Virgin
    Producer Christopher Neil, Mike Rutherford, Russ Titelman

There was some overlap with the marketing of the album and the making of Genesis's We Can't Dance, with Mike Rutherford being committed to both. As such, there was no tour for Word of Mouth.

The album did not chart as well as Living Years, charting at No.11 in the UK, while the lead single "Word of Mouth" got to No.13 in the UK and No.78 in the US. The follow-up singles "A Time and a Place" and "Everybody Gets a Second Chance" both became minor hits in the UK, peaking at No.58 and No.56, respectively.[1]

The song "Get Up" was used in the 1993 film, Rookie of the Year.

19. mark winstanley

Serious Hits Live
    [​IMG]

Released 5 November 1990 (CD/VHS)
    2003 (CD/DVD)
    Recorded 1990
    Genre Pop,
    rock
    Length 76:53
    Label Virgin (UK and Ireland)
    Atlantic (US and Canada)
    WEA (Rest of the world)
    Director Jim Yukich
    Producer Phil Collins, Robert Colby

Serious Hits… Live! is the name of Phil Collins' 1990 live album, released on vinyl and CD. It is also the title of the 2003 DVD video release of his concert at Berlin's Waldbühne on 15 July 1990. (The original 1990 VHS and Betamax version of the video was titled Seriously Live.) The songs on the CD version are taken from various concerts during the Seriously, Live! World Tour. At the Brit Awards in 1992, the album brought Collins a nomination for British Male Artist.[1]
    ----------------------------------------------
    Along with his album and tour Phil was doing all kinds of stuff, and seemed to have the magic touch ... he wasn't so invisible during this period of time. I have the dvd and enjoy it, but I prefer Finally ... The Farewell Tour from 2004.

20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

You know, I’ve never thought of this before, but the tone and sound of “But Seriously”, the more serious lyrics and more organic sounds, completely foreshadow the change from “Invisible Touch” to “We Can’t Dance.”

Real drums and guitars are back, and there are quite a lot of ballads (perhaps too many) and songs about “issues”.

Having said that, I like this album, especially “Hang in Long Enough”, “Colours”, “I Wish it would Rain Down”, “Heat on the Street” and “Find a Way to my Heart”.

If I never heard “Another day in paradise” again I probably wouldn’t be that sad.

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

So there are the albums I am aware of from this Genesis down time period. Phil also had a big hit with Groovy Kind Of Love, which he cringes a little about now, but people liked it, so i don't see it as some shameful thing. Also the movie Buster had Phil return to acting and I have never seen it, so I am unable to make any comment on that at all.
    Feel free to discuss any or all of these ... If everyone is really into discussing these we can have another day looking through them. If it seems fairly quiet, I will start We Can't Dance tomorrow.

22. mark winstanley

Yea, it was a good song, but it did get flogged a fair bit..... I was also a bit pissy, because just before this came out I had recorded a song called Another Day In Paradise lol

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

“Living Years” on the other hand is still very much in the “plastic drums and synth” sound of the Invisible Touch “era”. And the production somehow makes it sound really weedy and thin as well, which is a shame.

Still, it’s my second favourite M&Ms album after the debut - and has some surprisingly good “rock” material on it like “Poor Boy Down, “Blame” and “Why Me?”

(And, like everything else from this period, it also has some ballads I am inclined to skip, as well as one mega major hit single upon which I am totally burned out...)

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Finally, maybe I'll jump back in.

25. mark winstanley

No worries mate :)

abzach likes this.