Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Arent there stereo mixes on the same discs as the 5.1s?

2. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Living Forever - It's funny, I have no memory of this track, even when I bought the album. No surprise there, considering this the part of the album I bail out of.
    Listening to it (and the album) for the past week, it's grown on me. It's catchy, but it doesn't feel like a Genesis track until the instrumental section kicks in.

Initially, I found the track a bit silly musically. Genesis does hip-hop! Then around the 2 minute mark, it sounds like Phil is rapping the verses. gah.
    Lyrically, it's a nice 'take that' to the diet and well being fads of the time.

Overall, it's an okay track, even if it has demo like quality to it. I won't be skipping this song on future plays of the album.

3. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Living Forever is probably my favorite on WCD, and one of my favorites from anything after Abacab. The first part works pretty well as a song to me, lyrics are at least intelligible and have some meaning, but then the instrumental section is great, very glad they included it

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, but where I have 5.1, that's what I listen to.
    These threads I listen to what is on youtube, because I can't 5.1 at work

Rfreeman likes this.
  5. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I kind of like Living Forever; it's hardly top-shelf but it's pretty catchy and the swirly chorus is kind of cool.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

What separates LF is the instrumental part, it’s not that far from Tell Me Why and seems to share the exact same sentiment.

TMW, World and Lost are the three tracks they could have easily cut out and On the Shoreline is just sitting there.

7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Living Forever

This one is a standout for me, and always has been a particular favorite. Wish that they had played it live.

I like shuffle beat to the main part of the song, again something fresh and non-typical for the band. The second part has a wonderful, distinct keyboard segment, and generally it has a positive, upbeat vibe. Phil's drum work on this is great. If only there were a couple more songs along these lines, I think it would have really changed the overall feel of the album.

8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You can't say any of those songs are objectively better. Maybe the issue is using the term "best" but that doesn't mean you can argue the point any better. It's still a statement of opinion.

9. MikeVielhaber

Well, if you have the CD/DVD combos they come on different discs but they don't come separately so you'd think they would still have the stereo CD.

mark winstanley and Rfreeman like this.
  10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

“Living Forever” is quite good, especially the first part, and is another track I had mostly forgotten. The lyrics on the verses aren’t anything special; not quite sure who Phil is singing about here. The music is great though and I love the choruses with those multi-tracked vocals. The instrumental section at the end is OK but sort of weakens the song for me; nothing in the rest of the song is as interesting after the singing ends. I feel as though the song should have been longer and they should have returned for another verse and chorus after the instrumental part. Instead, it just stops.

The thing I like least here is Tony’s synth solo. I keep thinking how much better the track would have been if he had played a grand piano solo during the instrumental part. The synth just sounds annoying and came to dominate Tony’s playing in the later years of the band for some reason.

Overall, one of the better tracks on the album but still not as good as it might have been.

11. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Maniacs of health and diet.

12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Hold On My Heart
    Way Of The World
    Since I Lost You

I figure I’ll just jump ahead and take a look at all three of these tracks at once because, as a collective, I think they drag down the back end of the album. Individually, I don’t think that any of these are particularly bad, it’s just that programming all of them in a 14 minute chunk like this takes something away from the album as a whole.

“Hold On My Heart” may be the strongest of the three; I remember it getting positive responses from the audience on the last tour. It’s a good song, but I never saw it as a standout.

I can’t seem to make up my mind about “Way Of The World”. It’s somewhat of a bouncy tune, but I find it a bit bland. Another one of those songs missing a key element that could push it to becoming a really distinct track, but instead I’m left feeling indifferent. Better as a B-side, I think.

I can understand the sentiment behind “Since I Lost You”, so I suppose it’s no surprise that it made it onto the album, but I’m not so sure that it is a strong enough track in its own right. Again, it just leaves me indifferent.

So, IMO, I can’t help think that where this album suffers in the song programming and choices; there’s a fairly solid 45-50 min. album in there somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Living Forever

It's okay. It actually has a pretty decent Pro Soloist patch in the solo, but... Tony owned a real Pro Soloist - I can't give him a lot of credit for that one, but at least it doesn't sound as early 90s MIDI trash that's all over this record.

Okay that's harsh but god when Mike finally gets a good guitar tone Tony uses awful synths...

mx20 and mark winstanley like this.
  14. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Like a few others, I like 'Living Forever' mainly due to the instrumental coda. It’s typically Genesis while also sounding a bit like something Miles Davis might have done a few years earlier.
    The drumming as usual is terrific. Keyboards sound fine to me.

mark winstanley and pantofis like this.
  15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Gave the album another listen on my way into work this morning- I have to say, the more I listen to it these days, the more I like it.

One thing that’s clear to me is that the whole thing really shows all 3 guys at their best, it’s a real “group effort”. Strong vocals and real drums with fantastic playing from Phil. Actual power chords and solos from Mike to go with his 80’s “chicka chicka” trademark sound. And... Tony is Tony. No change there. ;)

“Driving the Last Spike” really hit me like a ton of bricks today- it’s fantastically arranged with some lovely guitar licks from Mike and lots of really clever drum “Phills” to add some interest to what could otherwise be 10 quite samey minutes. And I joked about Tony just now but his synths work here, adding wistful, nostalgic atmosphere and texture.

16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Dreaming While You Sleep

I have always liked this song but it seems to be maturing with age (mine, perhaps, rather than the song’s...)

The percussion loops I find really interesting, and the “car/radio” sounds, some of which you can see Phil recording on the “No Admittance” doc, are a nice touch, too.

And as someone else pointed out, those thundering drums leading into the chorus are like a lightning bolt and really add to the drama.

My only quibble (if we’re still looking for “things that sound like other songs”) is the “and it will live inside of me” line whose tune and lyrics have always sounded like a blatant (if subconscious) copy of “Live to Tell” by Madonna (“and it will burn inside of me...”)

17. mark winstanley

Hold On My Heart
    [​IMG]

B-side "Way of the World"
    Released 6 April 1992
    Format CD maxi, 7" single,
    12" maxi
    Recorded The Farm, Surrey
    Genre Soft rock[1]
    Length 4:38
    Label Atlantic, Virgin
    Songwriter(s) Tony Banks, Phil Collins,
    Mike Rutherford
    Producer(s) Genesis, Nick Davis,
    Robert Colby

Released as the album's third single on 6 April 1992. The song was successful in the UK and US, reaching number one on the U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary and Canadian singles charts, and number 12 on the U.S. BillboardHot 100. It also peaked at No. 16 on the official UK singles chart.

It was the last Top 20 single for Genesis on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. The music video shows the band playing at an empty night club, similar to Collins' 1985 video for "One More Night". To create the visual effect seen in the music video, the music on the recording of the video was played fast and the "singing" was mimed fast. When the music was slowed down to normal speed, the members of the band appear to be moving in slow motion, similar to the video for "Wrapped Around Your Finger" by The Police.
    ----------------------------------------------------

This track was number one in Canada and also on the US adult contemporary chart. It is quite a nice song. It sort of reminds me of George Benson. Without the thick layering of weaker tracks later in the album, this may have come across a little better on the album. It has a nice mellow feel, and works as what it is, a melancholy love song.

The_Windmill likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

Way Of The World
    This was the b-side of Hold On My Heart ... and again it isn't a bad song, but this section of the album just drags a little with the songs either lacking personality, or just sharing too much of the same personality.
    Just listening to it on its own, it isn't a bad song, but just blends too easily with what is surrounding it.

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Hold On My Heart ... fkn awsum song. The meloncholy feel, the pads, the way the vocals blend into the guitar (and thankfully no saxamaphone was used), the cymbal work ... just great.

--Geoff

20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Hold On My Heart - beautiful song!

21. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Hold On My Heart - a love ballad done right. It's touching and sentimental, not things Genesis was usually known for, but this track is rather good. Lots of M+tM influence here. A definite high point for the album.

Way Of The World - a bit generic, nothing real distinct about it, but it's pleasant enough. I like the chord transitions into the chorus quite a bit. Phil's vocals are really great here. Although I like it, it could be on the chopping block for editing.

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Way Of The World ... I swear that I can never remember this song. I always draw a blank trying to remember how it goes. But when I play it I can instantly recall the melody. Weird. Anyway, I like it enough, even if it's a bit 80s. I guess it's probably a kinda Mike & The Mechanics song? I do like Tony's brief solo.

--Geoff

mark winstanley and The_Windmill like this.
  23. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I hated "Hold on my Heart" when I first got the album but it has grown on me. It's not essential Genesis but I do enjoy the jazzy vibe.

I also like "Way of the World". It does have a Mike & the Mechanics feel but its a nice, unpretentious pop song with a catchy chorus.

Again, not essential but enjoyable.

mark winstanley and buxetehude like this.
  24. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Have I mentioned that, although I'm lukewarm on Genesis starting with Mama, I really enjoyed the WCD studio documentary film? I'm looking forward to watching again sometime soon. It definitely made me warm to the new album at that time.

25. MikeVielhaber

What does Mama have to do with the WCD documentary?