Genesis - Their Place In The Prog Rock Pantheon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Not unless you were in Cochise.

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I dislike your comment.

How’s that for an “option?” See how easy that is?

dmiller458 likes this.
  3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

There are some great Progressive rock songs that are blues based. Not many but just enough to make that definition not valid.

The Flock Lighthouse (from Dinosaur Swamp, 1970)

uzn007 likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Good one, though I'd say the Flock as a whole were more based in jazz than blues.

And one band I could name that's both undeniably blues-based and still prog: Procol Harum.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Aha, ok.

Jethro Tull My God (from Aqualung, 1971)

uzn007 likes this.
  6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Actually, it is workable definition but for Symphonic rock as a subgenre of Progressive rock. Now I hear the question - what the hell is "Symphonic rock"?!
    Well, when Genesis' Trespass was released in Italy in 1970, it was a big success for such album, Genesis have got a huge fan-base and cultish followerships in Italy and rock sinfonico the term was coined. It didn't take long for its English version - "symphonic rock" the term - to became popular and frequently used across the Europe back then. But although it was almost a synonym for Progressive rock, it wasn't the same thing.
    Symphonic rock was (is) indeed similar to Progressive rock regarding odd time signatures, unusual melodies, lengthy songs, virtuosity et cetera, but it's loosely based on Pop and hence it's without a hint of blues and jazz that is so significant for Progressive rock. Symphonic does feature more sounds of Classical music and epic orchestration that is merged with a pseudo-rock beat of Pop which is without heavy riffs & aggression of ‘Rock’. The result is an atmosphere that is even more lush, more dreamy and strongly characterized by great use of keyboards and guitar interplay, with more "folky" 12-string acoustic and slide guitars solos.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    jay.dee likes this.
  7. Grooverider

Grooverider Well-Known Member

I think he meant that a band does not necessarily need to be THE favorite to be in a personal list of favorites or greatest. I’m always changing my opinion about which album or band is my favorite (by definition there can be only one... highlanders not withstanding); however it’s still in my list even if it’s not my go to record anymore. I do agree with the sentiment here! One would have very specific taste to be a Prog fan and not include a sound like Genesis in their list somewhere! Of course that’s okay even if a little out of “mainstream” thought. I think Prog fans are looking for something more from their music and by definition makes us a little eccentric. That’s a good thing! Many of us are constantly searching for something new even if that search is mostly rooted on classic Prog we have not yet discovered. We can be a little hard to please sometimes because we have such discriminating and specific taste. For many years I felt no one could touch Yes! They had such a unique sound! I have heard their music so much now, they are no longer fresh to me but that doesn’t mean they are no longer on my list. I just don’t reach for one of those as frequently these days. I don’t see myself selling any of those records though. I opened myself up to Genesis many years later so their sound is a little more interesting to me right now. I’ve noticed that I can hear elements in Genesis that remind me of so many other Prog acts which are favorites (not necessarily THE favorite). I can hear pieces of Yes, Kansas and others in Genesis! I’m not making any statement about who influenced who (I like The Who too); I just recognize the common threads of the genre!

8. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Genesis is the top...........for me.....
    Yes... a close second ....but Genesis had a much longer and more lucrative career.
    and their string of acclaimed "classic" songs is proof enough.

9. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

That's me except swapping Yes and Genesis. Started listening to Genesis back in '83 but somehow never discovered Yes' classic '70s material until about 5 years ago so now that's more interesting to me.

10. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

The best prog band ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.