Genesis - which singers auditioned/applied to replace Gabriel and Collins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcnpauls, Mar 18, 2020.

1. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's always a figure of 400 applicants mentioned to become the singer in Genesis after Peter Gabriel's departure, and I'd be intrigued to know if there were any "known" singers amongst them.

Similarly, when Collins left in the 90s, I have read that Francis Dunnery (once of It Bites) threw his hat into the ring, that Kevin Gilbert was invited to try out and that Paul Carrack was perhaps even offered the job.

Do people know of any confirmed "name" candidates who went after the Genesis gig in the mid 70s or mid 90s?

2. mcnpauls

I have found two candidates to replace Gabriel from an authoritative source - no less than Mike Rutherford himself in an interview for "Record Collector" -

The band auditioned vocalists: “There were two or three. Mick Strickland [of Witches’ Brew] had the right sort of voice but the song he sang (Squonk) was in the wrong key, so he was doomed, poor guy. Nick Lowe sent in a tape, but it was obviously not right for him.
    Source: TRICK OF THE TALE - Record Collector Magazine

somnar, HitAndRun, hi_watt and 3 others like this.
  3. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I believe David Dundas (Blue Jeans) also auditioned. Read it in one of Phil's handwritten notes in some book.

4. mcnpauls

David Longdon, now of Big, Big Train, very nearly got the job of replacing Phil Collins - it really went down to the wire between him and Ray Wilson: I had no idea someone else had come so close to getting the gig after Phil Collins' departure. There is a very detailed interview with him here about the process of auditioning several times for Banks and Rutherford:
    Source:
    David Longdon exclusive interview for Dusk

5. mcnpauls

Can't say I know him or the band. Was this a photo of a handwritten note by Phil from the time of the auditions in the mid 70s for a new singer?

6. mcnpauls

Francis Dunnery, once of It Bites and with a very interesting solo career as a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and as a guitarist for other people, modestly confirms in this interview that he did audition in the mid-90s but that he could not do well on the Phil Collins-era songs, and only did a good job on the Peter Gabriel era songs:

tug_of_war and Rufus rag like this.
  7. mcnpauls

One other 1996 candidate: Nick Van Eede, from the band Cutting Crew, was asked to audition, gave it his all, got complimented by Banks and Rutherford, but they felt he did not have quite enough "high end crack" in his voice.

Source, from around 1.02.56 of this interview:
    Episode 89 - Nick Van Eede of Cutting Crew

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Kevin Gilbert was asked to audition prior to his untimely death.

micksmuse and mcnpauls like this.
  9. mcnpauls

Dave Kerzner, who was in Gilbert's band that played a "Lamb Lies Down on Braodway" tribute show, has said that this was not actually what happened, even though it is mentioned on many internet websites: the story is supposed to be that Nick D'Virgilio, who was also in Gilbert's crowd, was - as is, indeed, true - under consideration for the drummer's spot - in fact Gilbert had encouraged him to apply for the drumming spot. D'Virgilio, of course, is responsible for about half the drum parts on "Calling on Stations".

Nick Davis, the producer who was running the auditions with Banks and Rutherford, and who is a personal freidn of Dave Kerzner's, has told Kerzner that Gilbert was NOT under consideration by Banks and Rutherford, and that they had merely found his "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" show - which Kerzner sent them a video of - "amusing".

The plot thickens, however, because at some later point, Genesis manager Tony Smith did tell Gilbert's manager that Kevin Gilbert could, if he wanted, audition for the post, but it does not even seem to have been a direct invitation as if he were one of their favoured candidates.

Sources:
    Kerzner post:
    NDV to drum on new Spock's Beard album - Page 2

Nick D'Virgilio interview
    Nick D'Virgilio interview Dusk #68

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    altaeria and bobloblaw like this.
  10. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

That is plain wild! I can not imagine Nick Lowe in Genesis. You never can tell....

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It would have been horrific

mcnpauls likes this.
  12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Even to go as far as sending in a tape is quite astounding in itself.

13. mcnpauls

Now, I remember the song! Wow, I have not heard that for decades. I cannot hear from that anything that would make you think Genesis might have become interested in him as a possible lead singer, so I am guessing he was one of the "400" who submitted an audition tape on spec, rather than invited or seriously considered.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I would have to assume that too.
    I don't hate the song, when I was a pup I thought it was pretty cool, but I cannot imagine a Gilbert O'Sullivan soundalike singing for Genesis lol

Mike Visco and sound chaser like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Colin Bluntstone (Zombies) may have auditioned. His name was on a list, pictured in one of the box sets. He also sang on one of the 1st Genesis Revisited album. SH involved others who had direct connections in the project (Bill Bruford, Chester Thompson).

16. mcnpauls

It seems from the Mike Rutherford "Record Collector" interview that Genesis could not imagine Nick Lowe in Genesis, either!

johnnyyen and Rockford & Roll like this.
  17. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Was there not some story about him doing it as wind-up?

Farmer Mike, phillyal1 and johnnyyen like this.
  18. mcnpauls

This list sounds interesting! I don't supposed you could share a picture of it?

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Sorry, don't still have it. Believe that it's in the book with Archives Vol. 2? The recollection was that and maybe one other were the only recognizable names.

Grahamstuartcanada and mcnpauls like this.
  20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Noel Gallagher

Rojo and mestreech like this.
  21. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Thank you for clearing this up! Great to know.

I’ve long thought that Gilbert would make for a fascinating biography subject. I just don’t know that anyone’s rushing to write it.

sentinel90125 and mcnpauls like this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Though in 1975 he was just the guy from that hippie country-rock band. Not that Genesis would still have seen him as a fit, though.

Colin Blunstone is a different story. I can easily hear him singing everything on Trick of the Tail.

somnar, Rojo and mcnpauls like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Several names have been done as possible replacements of Phil Collins, including some probably suggested by the fans which actually don’t look reliable (i.e. Fish or Paul Carrack). As far as you know, were these ones actually auditioned? And have you heard of any more people who surely did a personal audition?

I know Fish was mentioned but I don't recall him actually being auditioned. Paul Carrack wanted to do it but I'm not sure how comfortable that sat with Tony Banks. Sadly Kevin Gilbert passed away before having the chance to audition. Francis Dunnery and Nick Van Eade auditioned but it came down to being between Ray and I pretty quickly.​

24. mcnpauls

Another reliable confirmation of someone who auditioned to replace Peter Gabriel as the singer in Genesis: Status Quo collaborator Bernie Frost:

“I witnessed the auditions for the new singer for Genesis,” says Stephen W. Tayler, an engineer at Trident Studios in London, where Genesis’s postGabriel studio record, A Trick of the Tail, was cut. “It just so happened that I was . . . assisting in the engineering process, helping out the engineers at a couple of sessions for what would become A Trick of the Tail. They were in the studio for quite some time recording the backing tracks. They had no idea who was going to be the vocalist. I got the feeling that Phil was kind of going, ‘Please, can I have a go.’ “The band brought in a number of singers, and the only one I remember specifically by name was Bernie Frost, who had been a session guy and would appear often in the studio doing backing vocals for people. I believe he was a very important component to Status Quo’s vocal studio sound,” continues Tayler. “I remember some other singers just being awful. They sang, I believe, to the backing track of a song called ‘Squonk.’ Then, I remember the moment the band actually [let] Phil have a go . . .”

Source: https://s3.amazonaws.com/halleonard-closerlook/00331901/Mountains_Genesis.pdf

pantofis likes this.
  25. mcnpauls

You can see Coronavirus quarantine is letting me explore my current obsession: an interview with Mike Rutherford from 1980 about his solo album "Smalllcreep's Day" and which confirms that Noel McCalla had been considered to become the singer of Genesis after Peter Gabriel:

"Then I remembered a singer called Noel McCalla who was considered for Genesis when Pete left. His voice was really good and yet different from what I'd wanted. He can do great impersonations of Louis Armstrong and Nat King Cole. I went for his voice because I believe a really good singer can sing a surprising range of styles, if they want to. So we tried Noel and it worked out amazingly well. He's a very professional singer."

Source
    Interview – Mike Rutherford – Musicians Only – 1st March

pudgym, pantofis, Ere and 3 others like this.