George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Just buy it. You know you want to.

Likewise. Buy it and help to ensure it sells out. Then watch the price increase as people reevaluate their decisions to buy the cheap sets and want an out of print item. I'm sure there are enough copies to go around at the moment.

I'm sure it'll become one of the biggest Beatles related collectibles over time.

jl151080, Frederick Mars and Sargon like this.
  2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

uDiscover is limiting the sales of the Uber box to four per customer

PJayBe likes this.
  3. Four?!!!! Who needs four? Isn't one enough or possibly two for the flipper brigade?

crossroads69 and PJayBe like this.
  4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Patience, grasshopper. I'm sure someone will be selling them separately for $2500 on eBay.

5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh:

PJayBe likes this.
  6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I'm going to put them around my kitchen table and use them as seats! :laugh:

7. Sell off the vinyl set. Always someone who will want it.

8. dsdu

Wait for George's Early Gnomes Vol. 1 release.
    [​IMG]

Uncle Miles and MarkO like this.
  9. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff Thread Starter

Why not limit it to one?
    Seriously, in what situation would someone buy four, unless they were buying three to resell for a profit?
    That's almost, and I say almost encouraging the scalping/flipping of these.

oboogie, Paul H, Lewisboogie and 10 others like this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m pleased to read positive assessments of Phil Spector’s contributions to his albums with Beatles. For too many years, his work has been unfairly criticized, especially on this album in particular. It always baffles me when people talk about how this is one of their favorite albums, but please, dial back Spector’s production. Uhhh, newsflash: Spector is a large part of this album, and if you like it, he is a big reason why.

11. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

^ 1000% agree!

supermd likes this.
  12. There are people with money who would buy these for gifts. Maybe not most of us but it’s a bigger richer world out there.

Lewisboogie, SteveM and supermd like this.
  13. cjh

cjh Forum Resident

That's so wild to me as someone a similar age. He sure lived a lot in his twenties...

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I am going to use the 4 Uber set crates as chairs around my dining room table.

:whistle:

Floater, dmh84, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

You hire Spector to get Spector. GH got Spector so he must have wanted what he brought at the time.

Floater, RSteven and supermd like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

That is very kind of you Mazzy. I can't wait to receive the Uber set from you as my birthday gift in August. It means a lot to know that I have friends like you.

And I promise to remember your birthday in return --- and I have been told how much you want that 45-rpm adapter key chain. Don't worry. I'm getting you one---and I'm even shipping it priority mail so that it arrives on time:

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  17. Arnold Grove

Also:
    You hire Klein to get Klein.

And we know how that played out for George... :hide:

18. bward

bward Senior Member

I'll give you 70/71 solo Beatles.

But what if we slide forward a few years, to when a new Beatles album was actually possible? 1975. Klein is gone. The old Apple deal is finished.

And instead of Venus and Mars/Extra Texture and nothing new from John or Ringo, we get a new Beatles album?

Venus and Mars would be the casualty here. And that would be too bad, but I'd take new Beatles at that point. Paul was still at or near peak, we could have avoided the Extra Texture George disaster, and Ringo was still relatively popular. The wildcard, of course, would be John as he was about to become a Dad in 1975. But, if he was available, that would have an incredible time for new Beatles.

By that time, the Apple troubles were in the rear view mirror. They got the nastiness out of their systems (even George partied with Paul in this era), and they still had great and interesting musical ideas that the group dynamic could have improved.

And maybe the George/Maureen thing doesn't happen. Or had that already taken place by 75?

I think 1975 was the last/best chance for a worthwhile Beatles reunion.

By the late 70's, disco was king, the Fabs were more settled down, and I think a new Beatles album might have been more disco/soft rock i.e. a disappointment. Paul and John were somewhat interested, or aware ,of how punk was shaking things up. Maybe they would have infused new Beatles with a shot of hard rock. But, I think they were kind of mellowed out by then. All 4 of them.

Ok, don't mean to hijack a George thread.

To bring it back around, I wound up ordering the 5 Disc ATMP set, using the 20 percent off coupon.

I am taking a chance here.

As I've posted earlier, I am disappointed with the presentation. I think I got spoiled with the McCartney Archives, because they provided so much context and photographic evidence to the various sessions that were mostly unknown to all of us. Yeah, I wish there were more outtakes, but the main albums sound better than ever, and some of those outtakes are really great. And the prices, before things got crazy, were very attractive.
    You know I'm not talking about Pie Collectors.

In the other words, I groaned about prices with the latter McCartney sets just like everyone else. But when the packages arrived, the quality of the sets were so high, that I forgave the price.

I expected something similar with George and ATMP.

One hundred and fifty dollars is a lot to ask for a boxed set, especially with the price point the Lennon camp has introduced.

But it's All Things Must Pass, one of the finest albums in all of rock, and if there's a premium for the title, so be it.

I expected a better presentation, a better book perhaps, more photos. In other words, something like what McCartney is doing. This is the problem with expectations. I hope when the package arrives, I'll be happy with it, and I'll stop comparing it to everything else.

I deeply miss hearing new Harrison music, just like everyone else here.

And while the new version of Run of the Mill, by itself, didn't light up my world. That different arrangement with George's previously unheard guitar music made me remember how much I miss him.

I have to admit, just the idea that there is new unheard George put me over the top and had me reaching for the credit card.

For those of you who bought the Uber set, enjoy!

It's not my thing (Pie Collectors is my last uber SDE) but if it brings you joy, more power to you.

I cant wait to see how large that wooden box is, and I need to see those beads. Also, that second book has me intrigued too.

August 6th seems a long way off, but it'll be here soon.

19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

You hire Klein to get swindled. :uhhuh:

Arnold Grove likes this.
  20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This is a contents, outtakes and sound quality thread? I saw 54 pages for this thread and thought there must be a copy of the whole album available "out there" already and folks were actually discussing album content, outtakes and sound quality.

I suggest we re-title this thread to "general discussion" and open a real contents, outtakes and sound quality thread on the day of release. Otherwise this will be 600 pages of chit-chat by August 6th.

905, Floater and Tuck1977 like this.
  21. Often, there are advance promo releases, but may only include one song. But, if is not readily available in the form of what is being discussed, it doesn't belong, yet. Releases can change along the way when something is not quite right. Sometimes releases are delayed until the problem is corrected.

22. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

They call that a "limit"? So much for "uber" collectable. :D

While they are available you're wasting your money. After they're gone in 2 years, you've deprived others of the chance. Just get some Extra Texture. - Affordable and plentiful! ;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    jamesmaya likes this.
  23. dsdu

Good idea. You've gotten a lot of good use out of the old ones.
    [​IMG]

24. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

I like Spector’s production here and there on All Things Must Pass but on Wah-Wah, Awaiting On You All and Let It Down he went too far. Especially Wah-Wah.

25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I tend to agree with everything you ever write, @crossroads69 and do again here haha

I took a drive today for the first time in ages without the wife and son and so listened to ATMP and RotM in the car, absolutely blasting them out of the speakers. So much better than the experience I had in headphones, which had been the only listening experience I had of either remix till now.

Each listen on headphones I’m listening out for individual elements, but in the car I listened to the piece as a whole and yep, it works. Feels good and airy, natural and cohesive. Looking forward to hearing more!

marmalade166, crossroads69 and Sargon like this.