George Harrison - All Things Must Pass 50th-ish Anniversary Edition - Price & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunking101, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

I found the US All Things Must Pass at a Salvation Army about 5 years ago. It was a late 80s Press. CDs were 2.99 then, I went to buy it and they charged me double because there were 2 discs in it. Oh well still bought it for the 6 dollars

That day I also got a bunch of other Beatles related CDs at that Salvation Army including a cool Let it Be sessions bootleg on yellow dog records. These type of finds don’t happen anymore

CDFanatic and sunking101 like this.
  2. It’s a record shop that sells new and used records. . This is the H back stock shelf.

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

If a VG+ one comes in the store, it's a 30 dollar album guaranteed. There's lots and lots of albums that have gone up in value. Remember when Eagles records were easy to find in bargain bins? That doesn't happen anymore.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That's not true. My record store does not stash away good stuff. Go ahead, blame the dying breed. The stores can't help it if everyone wants the same 50 classic rock albums all of a sudden. When the buyers who only care about what's hanging on their wall go away, things will settle back down and we can start watching all these price gouging small stores trickle off into the sunset with those stinking tool-hoarding buffalo.

Sneaky Pete and Fishoutofwater like this.
  5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It's more than that over here, though, the first time I saw one in recent years over here in the UK, it was £20 & in great condition! Sadly, I was ridiculously broke at the time & couldn't get it.

Cue a few years later & I saw another copy in the same shop at the same price! Needless to say, I couldn't let it pass this time, so bought it - the box isn't perfect (there's some minor damage on the bottom edge) the cover photo is, of course, pretty filthy but the poster was there in the back of the box in perfect condition & all three records are EX/NM.

I'm not sure you could do that again here, but perseverance is the key...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  6. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

The answer to why this record is so expensive is (of course) that it depends on whether you're talking about the original release in 1970, or the subsequent vinyl reissue in 2017 (or the RSD reissue a few years before that).

As far as 1970 goes, I'm with applebonkerz on this one...the sticker pictured above was on the shrink of original US copies when it was released in 1970. (The repro sticker on the newer reissues is more ironic than anything, considering the outrageous retail cost for THAT release.)

I do believe that when the LP was originally released, George had intended the release to be priced as a double set, with a 'bonus' LP of jams which was not factored into the retail cost. The retail list was something like $10.98 or $11.98 (US), which was on the higher end of a double LP list, but still a double LP list price.

I never really liked the Jam record, nor did I listen to it that much. (I included the "interminable sludge" quote because it kinda reflected my feelings too, lol.) I considered it a 'freebie' that came with the set. But I don't think the record would have been cheaper in 1970 had that bonus disc not been included.

The cost of the box and materials was certainly factored into the list price, as well as the fact that this was a very highly anticipated release at the time. So making it a buck higher than a standard double LP package seemed reasonable. And since the majority of the stores carried it at less than list price, you could usually get it for between $7 and $10 USD, which was still high in 1970 but an acceptable cost for the package.

I really don't believe that the list price would have been cheaper if the Apple Jam disc wasn't included...assuming that the box and materials (sleeves, poster, etc.) would have been identical.

HOWEVER, if you're talking about the 2010 RSD reissue, or the 2017 reissue, those ones DO seem to be priced as a three-record set. But I believe this has more to do with the standard money-grubbing tactics of the music industry nowadays, and really has nothing to do with George Harrison's original intention with this record in 1970.

And as far as the 2 versions of "Isn't It A Pity" stretching the record out to a double, well...that never crossed my mind. It seemed to me an artistic statement, similar to having two versions of the "Sgt. Pepper" title track on that LP.

applebonkerz and Pouchkine like this.
  7. Trying to find a good sounding CD version is proving a real task. I have a 2001 copy and it sounds awfull

8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 2014 remaster is the one but despite being in print and only costing $18 in the states it is £37 over here in the UK, hence my whinge thread.

Vic_1957 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  9. sunking101

I'm just comparing the price of the 2014 remastered CD in the States and here in the UK. It's a thoroughly reasonable $18 versus a wholly unreasonable £37 ($47).

10. grouploner

Ah. Sorry. When you said "album" in your original post I guess I mistakenly assumed vinyl. And then the debate following whether it was actually a 2LP or 3LP price.)

As far as the CD, it's probably still the music industry picking the pockets of the consumer then. (Always a good guess. :D)

11. sunking101

I would buy it off amazon.com but after shipping and customs charges it ends up the same price as the UK version anyway. So annoying.:rolleyes:

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

But we got about 3 min of Sgt Pepper and about 13 of Pity. And it really is a song that would have worked just fine with no cuts to lyrics needed at 3 minutes had he not felt a need to "do a Hey Jude" and then put two versions of it on the album

I have no problem at all fitting everything I ever want to hear on ATMP, including one version of Pity, on a single CD. Nothing from the third LP makes the cut.

A6mzero likes this.
  13. I found one seller in the US who is prepared to sell it for 25 pounds incl. postage. Might be the way forward?

14. sunking101

Which seller is that?

15. Grandeagleretail on ebay

16. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

17. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

I bought the Japanese EMI CP28-5459/60 back in the late '80s. Completely by chance - it was the copy on the shelf. Only a bit later was I made aware of what I had. A friend had bought a US Capitol set and it just did not sound anywhere near as good as the set I had. If you can, for a reasonable price, try to get one of these.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  18. grouploner

I don't know...I like the extended version of "Isn't It A Pity". It's actually one of my favorite songs on the record.

I really never thought of it as "do(ing) a Hey Jude", any more than I thought that about Donovan's "Atlantis" or the Kinks' "Lola". He extended the ending. It's a good song, and it works, in my opinion. As I said, the 2 versions on the LP are fine, as far as I'm concerned. It seemed a conscious decision on George's part to me, rather than padding the record.

And many folks are of the opinion that a lot of double LP's can be whittled down into a great single disc. If you need more than, say, a 50-minute CD, however, then it probably would still have come out as a double LP when originally released in 1970, as CD's were non-existent then. (I agree though, nothing from the bonus Jam LP would make the cut if I was doing this either.)

Agree to disagree I suppose.

phillyal1 and bewareofchairs like this.
  19. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I think you're right about it being a conscious decision because George didn't need to pad it out. He had enough songs to release a real triple album if he wanted to.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It's within a second of the length of Hey Jude and has "na na na"s in the extended part. He was intentionally doing a Hey Jude.

I would have made it a single LP with one 3 min version of this song and saved a couple of the tunes for future LPs where he quickly ran short of compelling material.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I'm sorry, but this isn't even remotely true. My store almost NEVER sees Floyd, Zep, or the Stones, and when we do we price it according to Discogs median price and put it on the shelf immediately. They rarely last 20 minutes.

22. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Funny thing coming across this thread today. I traded a first pressing 'ATMP' box set to my favourite dealer at his shop Quicksilver Records (yes his favourite band is QMS) in Southport, UK yesterday. The Box, LPs, poster all in very good condition, the only thing wrong, the printed inner for LP2 is missing. I've not a clue how much he allowed for the trade because I also took around 25-30 other LPs in for trade. I had a figure in my head that I wanted minimum and he came in £20 over, deal done. The albums I traded besides 'ATMP' were all albums I no longer play or I had multiple copies of.
    I bought the 2017 'ATMP' from Amazon US for £44 including shipping & import fees after hearing on here of it's fine sonic qualities. Whoever posted that was not lying, it sounds great even the 'jam' LP.

23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

My apologies to all the good guys. Maybe we had a few too many “Bleeker Bobs” here in the big Apple. Also the insane customers that treat Record Store Day as a chance to extort money out of fellow music lovers.

And I’m very happy to hear your Business is brisk I remember when you could get four LPs for a dollar and they’d throw in a freebie. :)

This is the downside of being proven right about vinyl sounding better. Supply can’t keep up with demand.

Good on you! :righton:

Vic_1957 likes this.
  24. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

I think most on hear thought you were talking about a minty original vinyl copy.