George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Having an Early Takes Volume One with no intention of releasing a Volume Two is certainly a very George thing to do though. It would have made him chuckle I think.

2. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Early Takes Volume 2 is no longer Early.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It's simply not ready....little more time on the stove, apparently from viewing George here!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Looks like his Ringo overalls.

It also looks like if Eric Idle and "Weird Al" Yankovic had a baby. Eeesh!

mrjinks, supermd, vinnie and 7 others like this.
  5. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It's the most un-Georgeist George photo ever.

6. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Isn't it a pity...

7. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Was it George who came up with the idea of naming the second Wilburys album Volume 3?
    I can definitely see the sense of humour there. After all, this was the man who once smuggled a tape machine under his coat from the offices of Banana Records.

8. Joel Nohnn

Joel Nohnn Forum Resident

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Definitely better than never, and it IS coming

10. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

No intention? Why do we always assume that the title Early Takes Vol. 1 was either an unfulfilled promise, or a joke? Paul Weller just released a new album titled Fat Pop Vol. 1. When asked 'Why Vol. 1?', he said he just wanted to keep the option open for a Vol. 2, whether or not it actually happened. Maybe that was the thinking behind George's Early Takes Vol. 1.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

so is the "second coming" for some of us............sorry MW for the pessimism.........…

I think I just built up this "Flaming Pie" or "Plastic Ono Band" type box for the monumental classic rock album that ATMP is.....delays are usually not for the better, unless it is due to Covid which is beyond our control.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I would say that this is fully due to Covid as was the first delay. As far as contents, 100% finished! So while, I am not a patient man either, some of the advance info has me very optimistic. Guess once we see total tracklisting, we will know for sure. On initial info, certainly more hopeful for the ATMP set than the LIB box. But again, no need to judge before knowing the full monte

As for "monumental", I wouldn't list too many fab box sets in that category. And of course, that depends on each listener's idea of monumental. There's always stuff we pick apart for not being included in these things.

The last ATMP set was 2 disks with 5? bonus tracks. This looks to be more!

13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

The George disc was a product directly tied to a one-off documentary.

So you have to admit the Vol. 1 in the title does seem odd.

Bern likes this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Maybe they wanted to leave the option open for a second documentary too, one dealing in more detail with his post-ATMP career: 'Living in the post-Material World' anyone?

15. Haristar

They probably thought, who cares about George post ATMP?

It wouldn't surprise me lol.

16. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Thanks for the info, really. I think it's a safe bet to guess that it will release around the time of the 51st anniversary in November.

17. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

There kind of is an 'Early Takes 2', it's just that the songs are spread among various remastered albums on the Box sets and iTunes. It's quite easy to find the tracks and compile your own album. Here's 11 and there are of course, plenty more on the 'Beware of Abkco' bootleg.

I Live For You (ATMP)
    Beware of Darkness (ATMP)
    Let it Down (ATMP)
    Isn't it A Pity ('Early Takes' iTunes)
    Sue Me, Sue You Blues (Material World bonus DVD)
    Dark Horse (Dark Horse)
    Here Comes the Moon (331/3)
    Blow Away (iTunes bonus track)
    Life Itself (George Harrison Book 2)
    Mystical One (Gone Troppo)
    Someplace Else (1986 version from Shanghai Surprise)

longdist01 and Arnold Grove like this.
  18. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Problems with LIB box set, Bob? (EDIT: I get it now, you were talking about the amount of tracks on it, weren’t you?)

As for the 5 bonus tracks of the previous ATMP release, I have to say I don’t expect a monumental box set with 500 outtakes (the original album was monumental! At this moment we certainly don’t know the site of the forthcoming deluxe.. let’s not set the bar too high), but for sure a more comprehensive thing than the 2001 one was!

Heck, it’d be rather difficult, this time around, to release LESS than 5 new tracks o_O

longdist01 and Beatlesfan123 like this.
  19. Haristar

They could literally just take the bootleg albums, remaster them and just call it a day, and even that would be good.

Ideally we want early takes for all the album songs, all the demos from the sessions and other 1970 recordings, but just having the unreleased songs would be cool.

20. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Yep.
    I hope they release all the May 1970 acoustic demos and a good amount of outtakes and rare tracks, along with a book explaining the creation of the album: sessions, pics, etc.

Of course the bigger, the better.

21. Wingsfan2012

My optimistic view of an ATMP 50 Box set:

CD 1 & 2- the original album with the 2020 remix (see the "All Things Must Pass (2020) version)
    CD3&4 - bonus tracks, unreleased tracks (like "Window, Window) and early mixes including the 5 bonus tracks from the 2000 reissue
    CD 5- Sessions and outtakes
    BR1- Entire 2020 remix album in 5.1 surround

Now, I don't think that is asking for too much for a 50th anniversary of arguably the greatest solo Beatles album?

omikron likes this.
  22. Wingsfan2012

I read somewhere instead of going to the "Let It Be" premiere that George spent most of that day recording or re-recording demos for ATMP!

23. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Two of the companies I order from overseas have stopped shipping to Canada because there's a minimum three month backup at the border.
    A kickstarter I backed said the books arrived in Chicago and there's no estimated day of release because they are so backlogged; LA, another kickstarter had twice his container passed over because someone outbid for a truck spot on "importance of goods."

Covid and other global events (*cough* Suez boat stuck *cough*) have caused major slowdowns in the shipment of goods — including materials for producing those goods.
    We saw the delays in other music products in 2020, and we're still seeing it today: digital releases now, physical releases later with dates moving as goods aren't being received.

If Universal decides it's better to wait until they can be absolutely sure that All Things Must Pass will meet its target date, it's an annoyance now but better in the long run.
    You know Let it Be:50 is also getting the same treatment, as reports had that set 100% done as well, and the book must also be 100% done (with the delay likely due to printing/shipping issues).

Fingers crossed that this problem resolves itself by the fall, so that we can have a wonderful (Beatley) Christmastime full of goodies from the Fabs, George, Paul and Ringo. :D

Wingsfan2012 and omikron like this.
  24. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Definitely not asking too much. Too little perhaps. I'd say add another CD for demos.

Wingsfan2012, Haristar and omikron like this.
  25. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I really hope the entirety of the demos that made up the infamous Beware of Abkco boots is included. I would have to imagine they will be even if they have been circulating for decades. They are to ATMP what the Esher demos are to the White Album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.