George Harrison in 1974: Why Did He Decide To Tour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

And Peter Sellers. If I recall, he joined George for a bit on that tour.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. nb2k

nb2k Forum Resident

Unless we're talking about George's contribution to "Basketball Jones." :)

fishcane likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG]

4. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

McCartney is stoned on "tea' in this clip

5. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Was Norah Jones conceived on this tour ? :)

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Norah was born in 1979. So "no".

phillyal1 likes this.
  7. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

The last time George enjoyed playing live was at the Cavern Club. Seriously. Look at the clips.

8. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Really? I think footage shows he had a blast February 64 US concerts.

somnar likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's good you mention this. I respect George as a musician in The Beatles of course, but back in the mid 90s when The Beatles Anthology full version was released on VHS it became annoying that he moaned and was so cynical about being a Beatle so much. I can imagine being in a band with him and John in the late period would have been a drag.

Nightswimmer, mando_dan and stanlove like this.
  10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

This is fantastic and comes across great in a live setting ! Has this ever been officially released ? Of not, it certainty should .

PhoffiFozz, Spadeygrove and blutiga like this.
  11. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I liked his Anthology interviews. I think his outlook came across as the most measured while still being able to have a sense of humour about it.

I've never understood the tendency to judge John and George so harshly for their complicated feelings about being Beatles. When you read about what they went through it seems a perfectly rational human reaction imo. Paul's enthusiasm is fun when it's just Paul, or Paul and another Beatle, but if all four of them were like him I'd find The Beatles incredibly obnoxious.

12. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Anybody knows who played the drums here?

DK Pete likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Andy Newmark.

14. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

But that's simple, if all 4 were like Paul there would not have been The Beatles.

15. bewareofchairs

Right. It just seems like Beatles fans regularly complain about George having a different attitude to Paul without realising that there are many people who prefer his attitude and enjoy the contrast.

16. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

It seems there's very little video of these shows. I know it was 1974, but even so, why not? This was George! doing the first BIG post-Beatles show! Why was there not more visual coverage of this event?

Umbari likes this.
  17. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

The tour was filmed and recorded professionally but nothing (except segment of Scorcese doc) has seen light of day. Sadly imo.

PhoffiFozz and 2141 like this.
  18. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Tom Scott -- passable with Joni Mitchell, horrible with George h.

19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I think George was a bit hypocritical. In the later years, he slagged them off quite a bit yet used “beatles” to make money when needed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    evillouie likes this.
  20. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I met Tom Scott at the Fest for Beatles Fans several years ago. He 's as big a grump as George was, so it's easy to see why they were close friends.

phillyal1 and BornBeforeTheWind like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

How do you know he wasn't just having a bad day..?? We forget how these famous guys have daily lives with major ups and downs just like little old "us".

No Bull, 2141 and evillouie like this.
  22. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

That's true I guess. Except for the fact that he was hawking a CD that he produced, of his 25 year old girlfriend playing electric jazz on a ukulele. If you wanted to ask him any questions about his solo work or his time with George, he was grumpy as all get out. If you showed any interest in his girlfriend's CD, he was willing to talk with you for ages and instantly became your best friend.

It was a BEATLES convention. If he wasn't willing to talk about that stuff, then there wasn't much point in him being there.

Harman, pantofis, Trader Joe and 7 others like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I can see your point there...oh well.

No Bull, 2141 and evillouie like this.
  24. bewareofchairs

I would argue in the later years he became more positive. Initially he felt very negatively about the band, hence the rejection during the 1974 tour, but gradually softened.

Anyway, I don't see the issue. He never totally disowned The Beatles. He was just honest about the fact that he didn't view them as the perfect amazing band the media and fans made them out to be.

25. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I saw George concert in 74 and was beyond myself as tickets were out of state and somehow sis and I got the phone number to Atlanta radio station selling the tickets. George was the first solo Beatle I saw though had been to many concerts since 68. George was then my favorite Beatle and I certainly don’t want to upset any George fans, but the concert was a disaster for all the reasons noted on the thread. I didn’t enjoy ravi’s part but it was interesting to see and hear him. Ravi’s part would have definitely worked better as the concert opener. Tom Scott is very good and I saw him with several other concert acts. Jazz fusion and sax were very big in the seventies. I have a very large Beatles and solo Beatles collection from the sixties through the eighties and still have my George concert program and ticket stub. Nevertheless, it was the only time he toured the US and I feel very lucky to have seen him. Billy Preston was fantastic.

canadian73, Trader Joe, jmxw and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.