George Michael Music Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMfan87', Sep 30, 2019.

1. Georgefan75

Georgefan75 Forum Resident

Has anybody on this forum heard the monitor mix of Pieces? Does anybody know where I may be able to find it?

Also does anyone know anything about a song called Only You, produced by GM under his Lakerboy pseudonym?

2. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

Quick question: why was Fastlove released with that horrible-mind-bending distortion that sounds like a cat scratching a sofa? And why can't I remember it sounding like that back when the record was released?

3. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident

I don't want to get too political but George was no stranger from that.

Do you think people should recognise George's bravery when it comes on Shoot The Dog'? Even his team barely make a big deal out of it. I think they should as its one of George's greatest contribution to the music/media/politics especially coming from a popstar.

4. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

At a minimum, I think people should recognise what a well-written song it is.

Interpolantics and NunoBento like this.
  5. Georgefan75

Hi FaithMonkey. In the UK, when that single was released, George was slaughtered by the press. They really laid into him. When though, it turned out that he was actually proved to be correct, with regard to his views, they never apologised, it probably made them want to destroy him even more..,

I have never been keen on the original version, but I do like the remixes, especially the Moogymen one..

jamiesjamies likes this.
  6. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see your point but wouldn't want him or his songs to be propped up for purely political or social issues.
    He just wasn't that sort of artist. Already have seen that to an extent with Freedom 90'.
    While it can have meaning about his personal life, I always interpreted the lyrics as largely about his emancipation from his record label and letting his music speak for itself.
    No matter Shoot's subject I can't stand the song, way he sings it, it's sound :(

7. Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged Chinese Democracy

I hope everyone is doing well. Is an Older boxset with vinyl reissue likely this year? It doesn't look likely, but hopefully I'm wrong, but I was always lead to believe that the album was wrapped in a load of licensing issues. A Symphonica reissue is my most wanted though. I pre-ordered it last year and have seen the release dates jump every few months, some displaying 2024, others 2022 - very frustrating, but not as frustrating as George not including one of the phenomenal performances of Waiting For That Day that he performed during the tour - one of his very best IMO!

8. GMfan87'

No news yet. That was a great Waiting For That Day. It was a missed opportunity not including that and other songs performed on tour that weren't on SFTLCentury album.
    Hope you get your album release wish sooner than expected ..

9. Georgefan75

A lot of GM songs have been remixed in several versions, some have barely had any. Which remixes do you like more than the originals? Which song do you wish had been remixed but wasn’t?

I like the song Amazing but have only found 2 versions of it, but haven’t heard a version yet that makes me go WOW!!! I love the Stereogamous and Kinky Roland mixes of EOLITW, but have never heard the original..

10. tm01

tm01 Forum Resident

I don’t really listen to too many remixes, but I do like star people ‘97 more than the original. I also like the strangest thing ‘97 and the back to reality mix of freedom ‘90

11. tm01

tm01 Forum Resident

I’ve seen people give him some props for it (and his politics in general) on social media but that’s about it. I like it and I think it’s well written but it seems to be a song that people either really like or really hate. I feel like that’s why his team doesn’t talk about it much - people have strong opinions about it

FaithMonkey likes this.
  12. GMfan87'

I've heard all his remixes once but same here not in to them overall.
    Never heard any I liked better than his originals.
    He seemed to love doing them. I do like a couple of the Freedom 90' ones especially one you mentioned. Also the Spinning the Wheel remix is quite good.

13. Georgefan75

After just visiting the red light edits FB page, it has a closed sign. Is this ominous? Has a particular person struck again? Does anyone know what has happened?

14. GMfan87'

I'm listening to the final part of the podcast FM To MTV and they had some points :
    That once he got to Older he didn't write tunes that would necessarily catch on, they thought he might of lost some of that ability, something was missing.
    I don't know about that rather than it was a conscious decision to tap in to the emotions he was feeling, and write more somber songs. But I understand their feeling as at the time it did not catch on with me, it was beyond me at that age. It ended up being my favorite though.
    Also they mentioned all the remixes, how there was just too many, made them disinterested to hear the original. Then many dance songs that they thought after a while are more for dance clubs with the beats, etc.
    They said he was a very solid interpreter of others songs, it would be a great honor as a songwriter to have him cover you.
    Anyone else listen yet?

15. GMfan87'

Not familiar with it but users and sites will come and go, maybe they lost interest, don't have time to keep it up.

16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Hand to mouth off the faith album.
    One of the greatest songs of all time.
    As good as an Dylan protest song.

MikeManaic61 and jamiesjamies like this.
  17. Georgefan75

Assuming we get anything released at all this year!... if you were in charge of the track listing for Older 25, what would your choices be? What would you like to be on there, perhaps a song or version of it you haven’t managed to hear yet...

If it doesn’t get released this year, won’t it be odd to still call it that. Older 26 just sounds a bit odd...it probably just means that we will be here in 5 years time wondering about Older 30 instead!!!

18. GMfan87'

Besides the automatic remaster of the album each box set contains, b sides from the time, and if there are any completed worthy unreleased ones from then,Unplugged DVD.
    I think there is a good possibility of a show or tracks from C2C show being included since they put Unplugged audio on last box set.
    Things that aren't essential to me but they may do :
    include an Older era interview, there were a few good ones on yt and his MTV Euro performance of JTAChild, and the music videos.
    I can't think of any of other possibilities.
    As for the 25 years I'm not sure labels always stick to that but in this case LWP was two years after it's anniversary. (It was 25 in 2015)
    Many fans have grown tired of the status quo and not knowing if and when there will be more releases so I don't think there will be many left talking about in a few years time.

19. FaithMonkey

According to wiki, did George performed his Older songs on top of the pops?

20. Georgefan75

When i read your last paragraph, I think that is sad but true.. For an artists legacy to be so badly mishandled, really does take some doing, but somebody’s (badly) managed it...

I don’t think there will be anything visual with any box set, as there is no listing of anything new at the UK film censors website. For anything to be released commercially, it has to go through them in order to gain a certificate and age rating.

I would just appreciate not being kept in the dark and only being viewed as ‘important’ when there is money to be made... George may have had his artistic principles, but he did care about his fans and hated letting them down. All that he stood for, seems to have been disregarded and forgotten. It makes you just want to weep .

jamiesjamies likes this.
  21. GMfan87'

I never heard anything about Older on TOTPops. He had a quick appearance to promote Waltz Away Dreaming .
    Otherwise MTV Euro awards in 94'(before album was released ) JTAC and Star People on another MTV award show.
    GM did seem to care about his fans but he also waited so long between projects to put anything out. He could of put out any 80's & 90's stuff years ago if he did have the intention.

22. Georgefan75

Theoretically, when an artist goes off to paradise, do their fans become surplus to requirements?

After all, we can’t buy concert tickets, can’t attend signings and we can’t write to them..,
    After so many years of following an artist, I would be shallow to think ‘that’s the end of that’ and start all over again...

Nobody ever mentions that it’s such hard work, following a star ‘afterwards’...

How does anyone else feel?

23. GMfan87'

Personally read, watched all I could after he passed, some a refresher, some to discover so no more but to keep his music in my regular rotation. Now in a place of grateful for what he left behind and anything more would be a welcome bonus.

24. FaithMonkey

Isn't amazing that George sold over a 100 million sales worldwide with such a little materials and that too with lack of promotions and tour after half of his career and not needing America to do it and still managed to make sales comparatively to Britney Spears whose image and bodywork has been exploited since the beginning of her career.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  25. GMfan87'

He had amazing numbers given he backed off significantly after Faith but he had big talent.
    That counted more then and once Spears became famous it started turning to mostly image, marketing, and then on to the next one.