George Michael Music Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMfan87', Sep 30, 2019.

1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This was a truly shocking single, one of the best singles ever massacred by one of the best artists ever.
    It was at this point I realised that George had no direction and seemed to have given up on his career.
    What on earth was he thinking...

2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Amen to that. One of my favourite songs of all time done by one of my favourite singers and it's a complete trainwreck.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not only that, I'm old enough to have some GM mix tapes too! :D

I will dig around this weekend and see which ones I still have.

GMfan87' likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Regarding True Faith, I'm a huge New Order and GM fan so this should have been right up my alley....

Vocoder ruined song and made zero sense since his voice is his greatest asset. In hindsight, was he telling us something? The song is about addiction, and this one dropped in between his prison term and the pneumonia.

NunoBento likes this.
  5. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

We can always agree to disagree. :whistle:
    I think the point is that he uses the vocoder to express how addiction blurs everything, and distorts reality. As I said before, his production mirrors, maybe even enhances, the lyrics. :righton:

JeffMo and qJulia like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Love his version of Edith and the Kingpin

DJ WILBUR and caupina like this.
  7. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

This is actually my impression too. The GM's video also explains what this song is about. to me, it is actually a good way to use vocoder. I like New Order's original version, although it sounds very 80s.

Yost and JeffMo like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Julia, you are clearly a big fan, so you need a GM album or single sleeve for your avatar!

9. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident

Did they just took down original Careless Whisper video on YouTube the one with 500 million views? I can't seem to find it.

10. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Sure, I think I have happily become a huge fan, :agree:. Are you trying to insinuate that I am too biased to be objective? Possibly, but True Faith is not half bad as some of you make it out to be.

11. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Not the worst song, but this autotune/vocoder feature kills it for me.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

It is not only my favorite George Michael album, but also one of my favorite albums by anyone.

andrewskyDE, ZoSoUK, GMfan87' and 6 others like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

There used to be a message board called George Michael Forums full of fanboys and fan girls with zero objectivity.

I love my current avatar, but certainly don't think everything they have done is great.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Did you get the Deluxe version last year George?

15. George P

George P Notable Member

I didn't, though I compared the original CD to a friend's copy of the DE. While not perfect, I prefer the mastering on the original.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Disc two and three are the reason to, as usual.

ZoSoUK likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Not in my case, Jeff. One listen of discs two and three was enough for me.

JeffMo likes this.
  18. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

the lyrics of 'Praying For Time' are like they were written today....

like i said in an earlier post ,such kind soul...

JeffMo likes this.
  19. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I guess you think there are some big differences btw the original and the remix. Could you explain? I love LWP, but always thought the CD sounds a bit cold compared with Older, which is quite different of course. But still, Older sounds warm.

20. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Well, not if you do have reasons to like or dislike the record. Absolute objectivity of judging music is hard.

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It's definitely in my top 5 list of favourite albums....

George P likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Not a big difference, I just didn't see the remaster as being an improvement over the original.

qJulia likes this.
  23. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident Thread Starter

It can be but I don't understand how anyone can like everything any artist does. I don't think that's you, Julia to be fair.
    I remember GMF, (given his periods of inactivity and lack of coverage here I didn't even imagine there was a GM forum) I was on there Jeff, after we all heard the news and all us newbies weren't like that but maybe the older members were, they didn't seem to want to engage with us.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I agree that Older sounds warmer and less digital than first two albums - I suspect it was recorded in a different studio than LWP or Faith.

qJulia likes this.
  25. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just looked at the CDs to see and both those albums were recorded and mastered at the same London studio . It's Faith that was recorded in Denmark and then lists the same London studio.

JeffMo likes this.