George Michael Music Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMfan87', Sep 30, 2019.

1. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident Thread Starter

There has been documentaries without music so he probably could of gone ahead without it if he was denied permission.
    I think the reason they put anything out is what he wanted, for the fans, some for his legacy.
    Yes it appears they either don't know what many would want or those things aren't planned to be released ever.
    We all have wished for certain things, expressed disappointment but we see how it is, unless the estate decides to turn over the rights in the future.

2. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident

3. Georgefan75

Georgefan75 Forum Resident

This is slightly random, but does anyone know any good Elton FB groups? I am hoping to find some information about GM, and would hope that they can help..Please excuse me going slightly off topic, but I do have my reasons...Thank you

4. HUGEGMFAN

HUGEGMFAN Active Member

I believed George summed up his feelings about his legacy when he sang from his 2004 album "Patience" in the song "Through," some lyrics:

Is that enough?
    I think it's over
    See, everything has changed
    And all this hatred may just make me strong enough
    To walk away

It's so clear to me now
    I've enough of these chains
    Life is there for the taking
    What kind of fool would remain in this, in this cheap, gilded cage?
    I've no memory of truth
    But suddenly the audience is so cruel
    Oh God, I'm sorry
    I think I'm through
    I think I'm through
    I think I'm, I know I'm

5. Georgefan75

I did read somewhere that he was supposed to have written this after the tabloids were up in arms at Shoot the Dog and his anti~war stance. They never did apologise, when he was proved to be right.

I like to think he then wrote a song like An Easier Affair, which basically said he didn’t care, and was happy to stick two fingers up to that section of the press, hence the phrase, ‘i’ve been getting too much Sun’.

HUGEGMFAN and jamiesjamies like this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

That basically says in my mind George, was tired of it all being put on a pedestal of the medias making.
    He felt trapped nothing he did was good enough.. he was watched 24/ 7 for any little mistake he made spotlighted again an again.
    As he never made a new cd of new songs .

7. Georgefan75

I think he knew though that his fans here, would have, and did stand by him. If only fate had been kinder, he would have had the chance to show the tabloids that he was still a musical force to be reckoned with..

8. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I recently got Faith on vinyl, which was the first time I had ever heard the album in its entirety. The full version of "I Want Your Sex" could have been edited but, otherwise, it's a really great listening experience front to back - even the album tracks. Though they were tracks I never used to reach for, I've come to favor "One More Try" and "Kissing A Fool." He could have made a really great album in that "torchy," live-in-the-room style.

pwhytey likes this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

All media over there had love/ hate relationship with George.. it's sad..
    Like that song by Don Henly Dirty Laundry ..

10. Georgefan75

I don’t know how well the albums Songs From The Last Century or Symphonica are known outside of Europe, but he did sort of perform in that style of some of those songs, such as Brother Can You Spare a Dime? His Symphonica version of Going To A Town is beautiful..

11. Georgefan75

If you watch the version of that song by Lisa Marie Presley, you may spot someone familiar, very briefly in the video...

12. Georgefan75

Does anyone know why you can now visit Georges resting place, whereas before it was private? Do you think there is any substance to the conspiracy theory that he’s not actually there, he’s somewhere else in the cemetery?

13. FaithMonkey

My opinion only. I think it's because the fans are done mourning for George so that way his grave wouldn't get turn into shrine or overcrowded by fans. The fans has accepted it and just let George and his mom/sister rest in peace.

jamiesjamies and iveivan like this.
  14. GMfan87'

To my knowledge it’s still a private cemetery and yet you still see occasional fan videos pop up.. let him and the family be already.

15. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Don’t be that person, please. Let him rest in peace.

ARK, jamiesjamies and GMfan87' like this.
  16. FaithMonkey

To me, his songwriting was still strong until the end but his melodies weren't there like before as he said he changed the way he does it.

jamiesjamies and GMfan87' like this.
  17. FaithMonkey

18. Georgefan75

On a slightly more upbeat note, did you know that in the video for Freedom, Andrew had to wear a wig as he had cut his hair and it would have ruined the continuity? It was auctioned in 2012 and sold for nearly £300!..

19. GMfan87'

He felt that way then, but we know in subsequent interviews, he had renewed interest, releasing some singles, and tried to work on a couple albums that didn't fully materialize.
    Besides that we know from his quote he wanted his music to live on after him, as it should.

HUGEGMFAN likes this.
  20. Georgefan75

The trouble was that George could be very enigmatic, and like we all have, changed his mind on certain points. It could simply have been the last song to be finished after what had been a long 5 years putting the album together! It seems like a walk in the park now, considering it’s been 18 years since Patience!

21. Georgefan75

The thing that makes me uneasy, is that it was chosen in the first place because it could be kept private. If you read some of the posts on some FB groups, some fans can be a little OTT and borderline hysterical. I would not like to see someone’s resting place turned into a cheap shrine, adorned with what can only politely described as tat. From some of their posts, some of them will be trying to move in, literally, right next to George! It’s one thing if you know how to behave in a cemetery ie total respect at all times, but a lot of the lunatic ones seem to think it is similar to a day trip to Alton Towers.,

22. Lack-of-Taste

Lack-of-Taste New Member

What do you guys think of ''Hard Day'' especially the remix version?

NunoBento likes this.
  23. GMfan87'

Always liked it but the remix (very of its time) is dated with the voices used in it.

pwhytey likes this.
  24. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I really like 'Hard Day' as an album track but I find the Shep Pettibone remix a bit abrasive. I've always thought it a bit odd that George's extended mixes/remixes aren't all that great. I don't think much of the Jam & Lewis extended mix of 'Monkey' either. The "Back To Reality Mix" of 'Freedom 90' is probably the best of the lot.

25. FaithMonkey

Rare footage of Jesus To A Child.