DCC Archive George, Paul and Ringo's final meeting...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

From the British Mirror:

GEORGE HARRISON enjoyed an emotional Last Supper with fellow Beatles Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr just days before lost his tragic battle with cancer, the Sunday People can reveal today.

Legendary pop pals Macca and Ringo flew to New York to say farewell to George after he told them he didn't have long to live.

Although he was desperately ill, the three friends laughed and joked for hours as they chatted about the heady days of Beatlemania. And George drew great strength and solace form his last meeting with two of his closest friends. A source close to Paul said last night: "They knew this was their last supper. It was really emotional.

"There were some tears - but there was more laughter than anything else."

George's doctor Gil Lederman also sat in on part of the historic meeting.

He said: "It was a spirited affair, not a sombre one.

"There were lots of laughs and lots of fun. They spent hours reminiscing.

"For me, it was a unique phenomenon to be there. The whole experience was an incredible one. These were the icons of my life - some of the most important people of the 20th century.

"There were tears, but George remained very much the man of dignity.

"At the end, after both Paul and Ringo had left, he was fine and calm. He was a very happy man. This meeting meant so much to him."

The three Beatles met for lunch on Monday, November 12 - just 17 days before George lost his ongoing battle with throat cancer.

Paul was the first to arrive after flying in from London with fiancee Heather Mills. Drummer Ringo drove to George's apartment from a hotel nearby after jetting in a few days earlier. Frail George, 58, who was on medication, ate a vegetarian meal and drank only water.

But the old friends laughed and chuckled throughout the 90-minute lunch.

Then just before Ringo said he had to go, George's family and other friends retired to leave the three music legends alone together for the last time.

Paul's friend said: "Over the years they'd all had their differences, but all those disagreements were tossed aside as they realised just how much they meant to each other.

"Paul always remembers that George and he spent their first meeting laughing at each other's jokes - and it was appropriate that their last moments together were the same. With Ringo there, feelings ran high and all three had so much to say to each other. They just chatted and chatted - and it was George who set the tone with his humour. He had them all in fits of laughter. He may have been close to death, but he refused to let that defeat his great sense of humour."

George left after lunch for his treatment at Staten Island University Hospital. But Paul - who called the Beatles' lead guitarist his "baby brother" - insisted on staying until he returned.

He spent the rest of the day with him and his wife Olivia, cherishing their last moments together.

Paul's friend said: "Paul did say to George and Ringo that he regarded them as his brothers and his true family."

As they talked about the Beatles' early days in Hamburg and their experiments with drugs and religion, "you could feel the warmth between them".

The pal added: "George was clearly picked up by the afternoon. He was smiling, happy and seemed so delighted to see his friends.

"Deep down he knew this was their last moments together and realised just what a great life they had together.

"Of course there were tears, but that was during the goodbyes.

"For the most part George, Paul and Ringo forgot about his condition and all seemed to carry on as if they hadn't been apart from each other for 30 years."

One of the high points was George's recollection of losing his virginity in a Hamburg hotel while the other Beatles slept in bunk beds next to him.

They then cheered and clapped after he finished making love to a stunning blonde teenager. The friend said: "The story still makes them all laugh today.

"And that was the abiding emotion of the day - laughter and happiness. It was a wonderful day for George.

aina and Yorick like this.
  2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I was about to say the same thing, Kim. Steve, thanks for posting. Wow. Can't say much more.

3. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Did the three of them ever work on a post Beatle era recording together other than the Lennon tribute All Those Years Ago?

4. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member

Big lump in the throat.

5. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I assume you also mean other than "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love"?

6. Sckott

Maybe not collectively, but the "RINGO" album could count as the last actual Beatle record if you want to. All four of them contribute on that great record, and it wasn't at all a small undertaking.

Donno about you, but I'd like to publically thank whoever blurted the news (months ago) that a California LaserDisc reseller had the Beatles Anthology LD collection for $40. Steve got one, I got two. I'm sure they're hard to find cheap now (?)

....been watching that instead of reruns all week. Derek Taylor said in a BBC special, that the whole world seemed to suddely change, as if when the Beatles had hit America, that life was "going to be better because of them", and how "Even miserable buggers, and England's never been short of them, *quite* liked the [Beatles].

Isn't it a pity. :(
    [​IMG]

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

7. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Thanks, I had forgotten about those.

8. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Steve, thank you for posting that. Even though George's time with us was brief, the man had an extraordinary life and all of ours are enriched because he shared it with the world. Thank you George.

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thank you, Steve. I think you made my day.

10. Ian

Ian Active Member

Thank you very much Steve. On the verge of tears myself.

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Thank you Steve for sharing that story. I have to work now, but I don't know how. My eyes are wet. I am so glad they did get together to say goodbye and remember. They never had the chance with John. George went too young---way too young. But that's life I guess. How hard it must have been for Paul and Ringo. And George too. I'm so glad they showed this love for each other and put aside the past differences. I pray George is in a place where we ALL can meet him some day. :(

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yesterday, I picked up a slew of British papers to take in the coverage of the event and was absolutely disgusted to read Philip Norman's Albert Goldman-like hatchet job on George in one of the Sunday editions. It was simply breathtaking in its venom and negativity. I was still upset about it coming into work this morning.
    Then I read Steve's post- that's why this board is so special. Thanks. I needed that.

13. Wonderful story Steve, thanks for sharing it with us.

I don’t know if any of you ever had the chance to see The Beatles perform, but I was fortunate to see them performer in Chicago at Comisky Park during their final American tour. There was a small stage on the pitcher’s mound with Ringo’s drums and some VOX amps. Ringing the field were a large number of VOX speaker columns that were worthless. The girls in the audience went onto a frenzy as soon as The Beatles appeared. They screamed so loud that it was not possible to hear The Beatles sing or play a note. Some girls were crying hysterically and passing out. The girl in front of me spent the entire concert facing backwards and crying. The whole thing was insane. The Beatles played one set that lasted about 20 minutes. I had box seats that cost $5.50!!!!!!!!!!!! It was quite an experience.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Touching story, Steve. Thanks for posting.

I never saw them - but I do have hazy memories of the Ed Sullivan show.

A friend inherited an autographed picture from his brother of the Fab Four at the Hot Stove Lounge here in Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens - autographed. But I had it checked at two places (online) who said the signatures were not authentic. Which means that their secretaries signed them. They signed them like the real signatures - Ringo's has the star in it!

Makes excellent wallpaper for your computer. I should email it to FabFourFan.... who would appreciate it!

15. Sckott

That's amazing, them teenagers.

Was watching Anthology 3 and 4, and it's just insane how girls were passing out, trying to escape from cops, having complete fits, one 13 year old girl face down, another climbing the gate to the palace that's almost 25 feet high... I don't think the world has seen that kind of blown-out nuttiness, other than maybe Elvis and Paul Anka MAYBE.

Was it because those girls were so love-starved? Was it society? Wow. We've either come a long way, or entertainment just hasn't ever been the same. Possibly a lot of both. Just thinking about that is just as shocking as when you examine the way America changed after Kennedy got shot. The 60's totally whooped the world into a totally different mindset, totally upside down.

Heck, even the Flintstones had an episode about "them four insects!" Remember that?

I just think, somewhere, Mal Evans, George, John and Brian Epstein are having tea, laughing and talking about life, secrets and good times. That kinda puts a smile on my face.
    :D

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

16. Sckott,

I have the Anthology tapes and they are great! The scenes of the girls screaming, crying and passing out is exactly as it was when I saw The Beatles. Very strange and interesting.

17. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Don't forget:

[​IMG]

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yep Patrick, I recall the nuttiness! David Cassidy! Screaming girls! The hit records, Friday nights after the Brady Bunch, pot busts in Las Vegas...

You just HAD to ruin it! :mad:

George Harrison, R.I.P., mate!

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Patrick, don't DO that to me! I am at work and everyone thinks I'm crazy, laughing at my computer screen!! :D

(Seriously though - thanks! I needed a good laugh today!) :)

20. Sckott

The problem is with Patrick is, he's right. Damn, you Patrick!

Well, I do remember owning a "live" beach Boys album on Pickwick. I distinctly remember "Graduation Day", the girls were screaming so loud, it's amazing how any music came though at all. I remember Carl(?) making fun of the end of that song, and instead of laughing, the girls just went AAAAAHHH!!! Betcha that material made it on another album.

So, I take it back. Them chicks just went berzerko for lots of artists.

Hey, does anyone want to talk about the 1st time they ever heard the Beatles, or bought their 1st record? Was it something that grabbed you immediately, did it grow on you, or did you try to run right through a cop at Kennedy airport?

I had the "I Saw Her Standing/Hold Your Hand" Capitol swirly 45 as a kid, since I was 4. I remember just loving that sound. The way the vocals just mashed together on that mono single. The energy and the simple catchyness. I woulnd't leave my mom alone until I had every Capitol record she had as a teenager.

I have the 25th anniversary remake of that single with the sleeve on my wall. Keeps me in check.

21. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

22. Sckott

My impression was that Stu was much too hot for Astrid, but the fact that the Beatles were too, inspired by her work. Poor Stu, I wonder if it was true; that if not for that fight he got into a week before he died, if he'd still be alive.

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Sckott, don't forget former Beatles press secretary Derek Taylor, who sadly has also succumbed to cancer. He richly deserves a place at the table.
    About a year and a half ago, after doing an Internet search, I located a used copy of his Genesis book "Fifty Years Adrift," which came out in the 80s as a limited edition much like the initial issue of George's "I Me Mine" autobiography. As is the case with the George book, Derek's contains observations by both Derek and George, and provides an amazing first-hand account of not only Beatlemania, but also Derek's work with the Beach Boys, Paul Revere, the Byrds and others when he moved to Hollywood, as well as his subsequent tenure with Apple.
    Plus, each addition is leather bound and personally numbered and signed by both George and Derek.
    For you Beatlemaniacs out there, be on the lookout for this book. it is truly a treasure.

24. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

As far as I can remember, my first Beatle record was the Something New LP, I must have been pretty young (I was born in October 1960, the LP first came out July 1964.) "Tell me why" and "And I love her" are still favorites, and I remember listening to those on my little portable.

25. Sckott

Bill,

I totally forgot Derek was gone. Yes, he's one of the good ones from the bunch too. My apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.