Glass (January 18, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting. Well given that these are three of MNS’s more interesting characters, I will give it a chance with lowered expectations.

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Whoa, I had no idea that M. Night Shyamalan had financed the entire film himself!

Four-day projections recently ranged from $57M-$63M with some betting $70M. Glass carries a production cost in the low $20M range, completely financed by Shyamalan. Glass was a negative pick-up by Universal with BVI taking overseas rights since they originally released Unbreakable over the Thanksgiving frame in 2000. Glass’ tracking heading into the weekend indicated a strong interest across all demographics, particularly males between the ages of 17-34.

The prediction is that the film will make at least $50M this weekend, maybe higher. But the reviews have not been great.

‘Glass’ Breaking Around $4M In Thursday Night Previews – Early B.O. Readu

Doh, and this review is pretty rough...

‘Glass’ Review: M. Night Shyamalan’s Superhero Trilogy Concludes Not A Moment Too Soon

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Ghostworld and Deuce66 like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey, at least IT HAS SARAH PAULSON! I’m still going to go see it today because M night has done me right in the past and I thought split was really good. Even if it falls apart in the end I guarantee you it’s better acted scripted and directed than anything else out there at the moment.

carrick doone and alexpop like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

out there?
    Aquaman. :)

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Glass has to at least be reaching for 14 years old and older. I started watching Ralph breaks the Internet the other day and literally got eight seconds into the movie before I turned it off because the first two jokes were aimed nine-year-olds. One day I’ll watch it. Or maybe not. having raised a family and endured 10 years of Nothing but children’s movies… no more. I’m just glad that the last movie I took my son and his young friend to was “the imitation game” I’m sure that was a bit of a shocker for them but sorry kids the party is over! Dad is sick of blueberry fart jokes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    alexpop likes this.
  6. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Man, I'm sorry to see the reviews are less than great. I love Unbreakable - and the ending of Split came as a complete surprise - so I was certainly primed for a sequel. That said, the reviews won't keep me away - I have to see this in the theaters.

Strat-Mangler and Ghostworld like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And it doesn’t look THAT real.

8. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

I'm going next Tuesday on cheap movie night, sorry gotta budget. Yeah the reviews are less than stellar but I'm going in spoiler free and no pre-judgment . The only thing bugging me is that is was filmed in Vancouver where I live and I always get thrown out of the movie when I see the same locales. For example I drive by Riverview Hospital everyday where the asylum scenes were shot (and about 1000 other films with any creepy mental institution is needed). And one of the comic shops on W. 4th also was used. So any reviews on this thread please warn about spoilers.

carrick doone likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The Visit made $98 million against a $5 million budget; Split made $278 million against a $9 million budget.

thegage likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think there’s a pile on attitude developing among critics when a film worthy of bad reviews rolls along. Everyone’s walking a Warner Bros/Disney tightrope because if they say a single bad word about the Black Widow, their publishers are going to be looking for a new reviewer when a million 15-year-olds attack their website complaining he’s out of touch or - gasp- too old. So when an independent film comes along like this financed outside of the big studios, it’s a chance for them to get out their poisoned pens and dig in — releasing all that pent-up negativity at mediocre movies they’ve had to surpress.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

In my seat waiting for it to start. I loved Unbreakable, Split turned out to be a continuation but Glass is the real sequel. Hoping for the best.

12. Squealy

Where did you read they did this in Vancouver? Everything I’ve seen says the movie was filmed at the Allentown State Hospital... Shyamalan shoots all his films in Pennsylvania unless he absolutely has to get another location.

vince likes this.
  13. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I agree with the above statement - especially when it comes to M. Night, whom the critics have a particular hair across their asses about. I willingly agree not all of his films have been great - I don't need to see The Village or The Happening again - but M. Night came out of the gate so strong there was bound to be some blowback for his not being "the next Spielberg". Also, I think they're still bitter over the know-it-all film critic getting killed in Lady In The Water...(haha).

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I hear you. I did see Ralph with my seven year old and the only reason is because she wanted to see it. It was great and worth the trip but I completely understand. I enjoy movies that are aimed at my target audience. I can't do Star Wars because I just was too old when it started, I get tired of the MCU movies but I have time for this series of films.

15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

That is amazing that Split had a 9 million dollar budget. And now that I think about all the scenes used in the movie I get it. I hope James got a nice chunk of it. He's a good actor and I think he has a good reputation.
    Good on M Night. Deliver films that play on the fringe of mainstream movies but don't need a huge audience to make money and get good actors to elevate even the weakest of plots.

enro99 likes this.
  16. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

It sure looks like Van in the trailers plus every movie is filmed here isn't it? The exterior might be Pennsylvania but everything else was shot here (you know movies are make-believe I hope). I know for sure The Comic Shop was used.

17. Squealy

I do know movies are make believe. :rolleyes: I also know Shyamalan shoots almost exclusively in Philadelphia/Pennsylvania. (Though he did apparently make a jaunt to Brazil for this movie.)

Glass (2019) - IMDb

M. Night Shyamalan is filming his next movie at this local spot

What you'll see of Philadelphia in 'Glass'

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, that explains it. Did you see “The Visit”? I thought it was terrible.

Obviously, there’s a big audience for the stuff he puts out. I had no idea.

19. Squealy

His movies were bombing but he has turned his commercial fortunes around with these low budget horror flicks. Regardless of what you or I thought of them.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How could M. Night screw this up?

Think with the success of SPLIT he should have just followed it up with SPLIT 2, that would have been a better money earner methinks.

21. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

M. Night lives in suburban Philly and shoots almost exclusively around the area as mentioned. Him and his family used to come in to the Border's bookstore where I worked while at college at Villanova. He definitely shot a decent chunk of this movie in the Lehigh Valley area (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) of Pennsylvania as the cast was frequently seen out to eat at local establishments.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

While he didn't direct it, "Devil" is also set in Philly!
    ....I liked "Devil"!

23. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

24. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

The last Shyamalan movie I really enjoyed was Unbreakable and the last I saw in theaters was the Village (ugh). Since then my desire to see his films has been lukewarm, at best. Maybe I will give Devil or Split a shot.

25. Her name is Sarah Paulson
    Her name is SARAH PAULSON
    HER NAME IS SARAH PAULSON

wolfram, Chris DeVoe and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.