Glass (January 18, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw it. I always knew it was the Irish keeping us from advancing as a race.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought I recognize that nut house!. I’m pretty sure that’s the Allentown state hospital Funny story: when my brother was going through his fraternity hazing at Lehigh U what they did to the pledges was strip them naked and throw them out of the car at the front steps of the state hospital Did you see that huge lawn in front of it? Theyd have to try and make their way across that huge lawn without getting caught and trying explain that they were pledges!Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Sane Man likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

When i hear her name, I think the SAME THING!

Solaris and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

lol none of that surprises me. And yes, that is most definitely the Allentown state hospital in the movie. It was recently sold to a developer and is set to be demolished so it's kind of nice/strange that it's being captured in this movie.

'Glass' thriller's visual effects managed by Bethlehem native Ed Mendez

Readers react: Allentown State Hospital to be razed

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

But a Bad Movie is still a Bad Movie no matter how Small or Large the Budget. Honestly, if I see a Bad Movie, I am more ticked off about losing a few hours of my time(I know I know, I spend that much time on here in about 1 week-haha), than the actual money I paid to see a Bad Movie.

I liked 'Unbreakable' as a Good Movie, but was Not Great like 'The Sixth Sense' was(IMO-deservedly considered a Top 50 Movie of all Time on one list I saw).

With his recent track record(Not Good for all his Movies since 'Unbreakable-IIRC, although I bought 'Split' on BluRay on a Black Friday Sale for only $5 and still need to watch it), I will wait for a general consensus of Film Reviews and Movie Audiences(including honest takes from SHF Members in this Thread hopefully, who are not MNS Fanboys), before considering going to see this movie.

trumpet sounds and GodShifter like this.
  6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Three of my family members saw this today (I couldn't go with them) and all 3 of them hated it and told me not to waste my money. I was going to see it over the weekend, but I will now just wait for it to come to a discount theatre or to cable TV.

One of my family members saw both Unbreakable and Split when they were released. He liked Unbreakable but didn't like Split.
    Another one of my family members saw Split but didn't see Unbreakable. She didn't like Split.
    The other family member saw neither before seeing Glass today.

So, I don't know if not seeing one or the other or both had anything to do with 2 of them not liking Glass, but the one who did see both hated Glass also. Granted, the one who did see both didn't like Split and told me to avoid it when that was released. So, I took his advice and waited until it came to cable. After watching it on Cable, I did like Split for the most part. I thought the acting elevated that movie (the subplot about the girl when she was little felt out of place, though.)

Also, I really liked Unbreakable back when it was released (I just watched it again this past week too to refresh my memory in preparation for Glass.) Now, I think I will wait for a while before viewing Glass based on my family's dislike and on all the negative early reviews (critics and audience).

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Unbreakable 10/10
    Split 7/10

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Watch Split. It’s good.

This definitely felt like a Low budget film. Direction was mediocre. Simple logic ignored. Samuel Jackson wasted. Bruce Willis wasted. Sarah Paulson wasted on silly role. This was the first role I’ve ever seen Sarah Paulson in that she wasn’t any good, nd that’s an accomplishment. I get a feeling Jackson and Willis could have shot their dazed roles in about two weeks. The footage recycling from the old movies was nothing much and you could tell they were forced into the film. But the main problem with this film is it’s just isn’t believable. I’m not talking about superheroes. I’m just talking about the nuts and bolts of the action. And of course, if you were a fan of these guys on the earlier films, you’re really going to hate the ending.

Unbreakable 8.5/10
    Split 8/10
    Glass 5/10

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah, I bought 'Split'(BluRay) on the 2017 Black Friday Sale along with about 5 other Movies for $5 each, and just had forgotten about it but did recall the Reviews were that it was the best MNS Movie since 'Unbreakable'(I had no idea that 'Split' was tied into that movie). Just makes your review of 'Glass' and the over mediocre at best or terrible at worst reviews really disappointing and seems like a missed opportunity.

I am sure it will make a lot of money this opening weekend, but expect that word of mouth will kill it off and will be out of the Theaters within a few weeks. Just a shame if 'Glass' really is not that good of a movie, as Jackson & Willis were really good in 'Unbreakable'(and I heard that the Actor from 'Split' was really good in that movie).

Sam Jackson should stick with Tarantino Directed Movies(and other Directors he worked with in the past), if his talent was wasted in 'Glass'. A lot of people did not like 'The Hateful 8', but I liked it and especially the performance of Jackson.

Thanks for your take on 'Glass'. I will plan to see 'The Irishman', as love Scorsese Movies(with Pacino, De Niro and DiCaprio-although he is not in this movie).

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Just came back from Glass. It's good. I liked it a lot and I am not a fan of all of MNS's movies but I like more than a casual fan's take. It is more in the vein of Unbreakable I think but with a true desire to come full circle. Without giving anything away, you have to want to like the psychological intimacy MNS creates. I thought of the plot points and characterisations as a comic book which made everything fall into place throughout the film. Think of the scenes in Split where the various characters come out to the girls as opposed to the action and you have a sense of how Glass is structured.

If you liked Unbreakable don't read the criticisms, go, enjoy and let the series resolve. It's intelligent and quiet and entertaining.

I had read from critics that the last third is terrible or lags at best. I didn't find that true. The ending was a logical comic book ending to the movie and the trilogy and it satisfied.

The Hermit likes this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This sounds like an SAT question:
    "If two people HAVEN'T seen "Unbreakable", and one person HASN'T seen "Split", how many people will hate "Glass"?:laugh:

Solaris, JPagan and carrick doone like this.
  12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The same thing happened to the Northampton State Hospital in Massachusetts, where much of The Cider House Rules was filmed.

As for Glass, I fear it may be pulled before I get a chance to see it in the theater. Today's storm is going to put a damper on ticket sales, and then I'm off traveling for a week. Let's hope it just good enough to be in theaters for two weeks.

John K.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I watched it today and liked it a lot. The ending took me by surprise, it's quite shocking. If anyone here is in doubt, it's definitely worth watching.

carrick doone likes this.
  14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Well having just seen Glass last night, I'll say this upfront;

Film critics are (mostly) idiots and morons.

I can't believe we watched the same film 'cause I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end... it was intelligent, it was well-written, well paced throughout, beautifully shot, it looked good yet didn't cost anywhere near the GDP of a small African nation to make (I believe the budget is around $20m), it was intently character-focused throughout, it was genuinely touching, and it was (hold your breath for this one folks) an original property not based off a comic book, a television series, or a video game... will wonders never cease!?

For those who said it's too slow, not enough action, wasn't what they thought it would be, or were genuinely surprised by it's bold ending... those same criticisms were also leveled at Unbreakable 18 years ago too (and only apply if you haven't a brain to begin with)... that film is now regarded as something of a classic, and mark my words, so will Glass in the fullness of time.

#don'tbelievethecritics

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Solaris, Mazzy and carrick doone like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I just saw it and thought it was as dumb as a bag of hammers. James McAvoy was acting his heart out but in the service of a really mediocre plot. Sarah Paulson, a very talented actor, was also wasted in a role that was total melodrama.

The day was saved by seeing a brilliant film, Shoplifters.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The UK's and BBC's well respected Film critic Mark Kermode loved it.
    He's probably the only TV film critic left on terrestrial UK TV ………… so it may help it.
    I hate to see films bomb because press negativity due to the [Super/comic] Hero's not having extreme super powers …….as seems to be a requirement nowadays.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A recent sample of ratings from Rotten Tomatoes (Critics/Fans).

Glass: 35% Critics - 78% Fans
    Aquaman: 64% - 79%
    Spider Man - Into the Spider-Verse: 97% - 94%
    Bumblebee - 92% - 79%
    Bohemian Rhapsody - 62% - 89%
    Creed II - 83% - 84%
    Venom - 29% - 84%
    Green Book - 82% - 94%
    The Mule - 66% - 68%
    Shoplifters - 99% - 91%

The issue with critics is they have to see everything, even movies that they're pre-disposed to not like, there's a bias that is hard to turn off - fans on the other hand are the reverse.

18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

As far as bombing, with a budget of 20 million, I'm thinking MNS doesn't really care. If it takes off based on movie goer reviews it's bonus but the investors should be happy.
    He was able to make the film he wanted in the style he wanted, fans wanting to see the film received what they wanted overall and based on how his previous films have done financially this one is certain to make money. He will make his and his investor's money back pretty easily a year from now I bet. I'm thinking the actors have points as well so they will be happy. I'm happy he made the movie and it was good for me.

enro99 likes this.
  19. Mr Matchbox

Mr Matchbox Forum Resident

I went to see Glass last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, but surely everyone knows by now if they are going to like his movies: the style hasn't really changed since he first started. You either like wordy, lowish budget edge of reality thrillers or you don't. The main thing that has changed is there is a lot of intentional humour in "Glass".

Shyamalan can probaly keep the budget low, virtually guarantee a profit and make whatever thriller he wants now. I'm sure "Glass", like "Split" will do very well financially in percentage terms. I hope to see a lot more from him in the future because there is a distinct lack of variety at the multiplexes since the franchise mania started.

carrick doone and enro99 like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Sorry, but what do you base that on? It sure isn't from actually looking at theater listings.

Apart from Glass here are the films were playing at my local 21 screen multiplex today:
    1. The Upside
    2. A Dog's Way Home
    3. Aquaman
    4. Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse
    5. Petta
    6. Escape Room
    7. Bumblebee
    8. On The Basis of Sex
    9. Replicas
    10. Vice
    11. If Beale Street Could Talk
    12. Bohemian Rhapsody
    13. The Favourite
    14. A Star is Born
    15. Stan and Ollie
    16. Canal Street
    17. Free Solo
    18. Cold War
    19. Capernaum
    20. Yuri: The Surgical Strike
    21. Shoplifters
    #1 is an American remake of a French film about a quadriplegic.
    #2 is heartwarming film about a dog returning to his owner.
    #5 is a Bollywood film about revenge.
    #6 is a thriller.
    #8 it's about a young Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the case that made her career.
    #9 is science fiction film about a scientist trying to save his family by putting them in robotic bodies.
    #10 is a satirical film about vice President Dick Cheney.
    #11 is a dramatic film about a man falsely accused of a crime
    #12 is the film about Queen.
    #13 is a film about a completely different Queen.
    #15 it's a film about the legendary comedians in their waning days.
    #16 is a family drama.
    #17 is about a man free climbing El Capitan.
    #18 is a black and white film set in Poland during the Cold War.
    #19 is amazing and heartbreaking film a young Lebanese child suing his parents.
    #20 an Indian war film.
    #21 is an absolutely amazing Japanese film about the families we make rather than the ones we're born into.

This is what's playing at a 21-plex in downtown Chicago. Only a small handful of the film's playing there are remakes or superhero movies.

I don't know what the films are like where you live, give me your zip code and I'll let you know.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yep. Hope McAvoy gets a nom. He was doing a hell of a job.

Do you want to know what my favorite let down of the movie was?

superhero Bruce Willis being drowned in a pothole for two minutes when he couldn’t of been more than 20 feet away from his son. What a glorious finale to the series. Couldn’t he have met a more glamour ending like getting food poisoning at Taco Bell and dying?

vegafleet, Solaris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Of here’s another example of how slapdash I thought the movie was put together.

I also like the scene where the police sharpshooter gut shoots the beast and immediately proclaims into his radio “the subject is down “. I just sat there watching it thinking: “well, actually, the subject is still on his feet with the would-be victim in his arms and they’re having a nice little conversation. “

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

What kind of sharpshooter, at that distance, doesn't take a head shot? He was maybe 150 feet away!

SandAndGlass and Ghostworld like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

On the other hand, maybe the critics just see a lot more films and know that there are a lot better films out there. I'm not a critic, but I've seen a hundred better films in the past year.

I know for absolute certain that there were a dozen better films playing at the same theater.

I'm not some M. Night Shaymalan hater either. I thought The Sixth Sense was brilliant, and keep hoping he'll do something that good again.

25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.