Glenn Tipton/ Judas Priest diagnosed with Parkinson's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Btw....Ian Hill used to sit by me at the football.
    This is going back about 20 years ago tho!!!!

2. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

I’m sorry to hear this news. Glenn and KK were such an incredible and innovative guitar duo.

Plus, they helped create the image and branding of metal that still exists today.

Tough news.

3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I have listened to Nostradamus at least once and can now predict one of several possible outcomes of your post: you will be acused of not being a Priest fan via proxy by a person that prefers recreations of Rush songs to the real thing.

I do however agree with you 100%.

George Co-Stanza and GodShifter like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It goes without saying this is sad.

Not really a Priest fan myself. Loved the first three albums - but the best by far is/was Sad Wings of Destiny, which I still sometimes play.

Saw them live on the Sad Wings tour too, a good gig.

Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

And what did Glenn say about Rob's sexuality and the tour - if you remember. More details please :uhhuh:

6. Doggiedogma

Any more memories of this show - opening act or headliner, what was the crowd reaction (how big was the crowd), songs played?

7. We asked him about the rumours of Rob being gay..
    He said it was a open secret among everyone who knew him. They basically kept it to themselves due to pressure from CBS.
    They thought it would harm the bands image if it become public knowledge.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. Doggiedogma

And this CBS pressure to stay "in the closet" probably amplified Rob's drug usage. I became aware of Rob's sexuality during the Turbo tour, the rumors became widespread and after seeing them live again, I knew. In hindsight, Rob was open (as much as he was allowed to be). I really don't care, it's the music that made/makes me a fan.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. I can remember Paula Yates (Record Mirror journalist, Bob Geldoff's wife, later Michael Hutchinson girlfriend, no longer with us!!) asking the band about who was gay in the band back in 1980!!!!!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  10. Doggiedogma

Do you remember what their response was?

11. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Alternatively, I might agree with @George Co-Stanza.

As for you:

[​IMG]

12. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Ah, the troll actually answers. Impressive.

Consider yourself ignored.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

K.K. Downing has something to say.

K.K. DOWNING Is 'Shocked And Stunned' He Wasn't Asked To Rejoin JUDAS PRIEST

Former JUDAS PRIEST guitarist K.K. Downing says that he was "shocked and stunned" that he wasn't approached to rejoin the band following Glenn Tipton's decision to retire from the road.

Tipton, who is now 70 and has performed on every PRIEST album since the group's 1974's debut set, "Rocka Rolla", is not quitting the outfit, but simply cannot handle to rigorous challenges of performing live. Joining PRIEST for its upcoming dates will be the band's co-producer and HELL/ex-SABBAT guitarist Andy Sneap.

In a statement released Tuesday morning (February 27), Downing said that he now knows "more clearly than ever" that he did the right thing by leaving the band when he did because he believes that his contributions to PRIEST's legacy are "unappreciated by more than one member."

K.K. said: "The news that Glenn has finally been forced to come to terms with his unfortunate condition long term came with deep regret and sadness for me. Equally, this ending of our guitar duo era is also something that I have to come to terms with. The insatiable appetite that myself and Glenn had for creating inspired and unique music for the world to enjoy for many decades, is something that can never be erased. However, everyone who has witnessed the evolution of our beloved music must come to terms with the fact that things will inevitably change, or just simply end.

"I have to state with great sadness also that I am shocked and stunned that I wasn't approached to step into my original role as guitarist for JUDAS PRIEST. Whether I could have stepped back into the band or not, the potential for this situation arising never entered my head when I departed — although I too am officially and legally still a member of JUDAS PRIEST. However, I know now more clearly than ever that I did the right thing by leaving the band when I did — as it seems that my time spent in the band, and my value in terms of crafting its huge legacy, was and is unappreciated by more than one member. I sincerely hope, for the fans' sake, that the decision not to approach me was not a financial one.

"I know Andy Sneap — and he is one of the greatest contributors to rock and metal that you will ever have the privilege to meet. To that end, I have no doubt that his contribution to the new JUDAS PRIEST album was much more than just as a producer. All that's left is for you the fans to go out and enjoy the band as it is, in order to complete a part of music history in which every one of you has played such an important role."

14. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

How can we not agree with mister Downing on this one ? Fansboys who are going to sse this tour will pay extravagant money to see 2/5 of the classic line up. If any dignity was left on the JP camp, they would have either call KK or simply cancel the tour and put an end to this pathetic story. Halford is a joke. He n longer can sing and write decent lyrics, the new album should have been called Greedpower.

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Lucky my dues are paid up at the Sinking Hearts Club. I read this KK statement and I'm almost as deflated as I was reading the bad news about Glenn. Taking KK at his word, the absolute best possible resolution to this situation was right there and ignored or rejected outright.

The band members deserve a big share of the blame, but I also think a manager like Rod Smallwood would have said "Glenn stop being a wanker, KK stop being a wanker" and this could have been cleared up in seconds.

You'd think they all would have learned something from Rob's exit, exile, and return. Life is short.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Shows you what I know. My understanding was KK was not interested in rejoining. I think the main problem, for him, was that he wasn’t even asked. That’s disappointing in many aspects.

17. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm sure KK's ego is as big as anyone's. If Priest is humming along with Glenn and Richie that's not the time to be publicly honest that he'd like back into the band.

Honestly there's a part of me that sees this statement as bad manners on KK's part. He's throwing gasoline on a fire in the Priest camp that Rob (being the guy who'll do most of the interviews) will have to contend with. It kinda reads like "Priest are great, go see them this summer, but just know it could have been so much better....with me!"

A lot of the comments I'm seeing online are critical of KK and I see where they're coming from; he quit the band and fair enough. But so did Rob, and Rob would have a good idea of what it's like to tell the press one thing and deep down miss the only group of musicians that helped make you what you are. Rob can do Fight and Two and solo albums but Judas Priest is going to be the only thing on his tombstone.

Also, I would have to think that KK had no intentions of rejoining the band on an album/tour/album/tour cycle. Maybe just as a way to make things right and put the band to bed.

18. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I have respect for K.K. walking away when he felt it wasn't as good as it should be, but this press release sounds like sour grapes... yeah, he's still a member in the legal sense - like partly owning property even after moving out - but why take the band to task in such a public manner... to what end and purpose?

If he offered his services and they turned him down for whatever reason, so be it; if he wasn't asked at all, I'm sure living in a huge country estate and never having to work for a living again will soothe his wounded ego.

You chose to leave, Ken... let it go... unless you're trying to drum up some publicity for your upcoming bio, in which case, that's pretty shameless.

I don't see Glenn Tipton returning to active JP duty... the Priest is over.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Did he really quit or was he pushed out the door due to a conflict with management? that's what it sounded like to me originally despite the media spin.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"finally been forced to come to terms" - Seems like he's taking kind of a veiled shot there.

Maybe not but it feels there's a little bit of an edge in the way he says that, and it reminded me of this quote from a few years ago..

"I wasn’t happy with the band’s live performance. I thought it could have been better, not that the fans would notice. To me, Priest was always a stealth machine and that’s what I liked about it. Even though you get older you still need to be able to deliver the goods. People came a long way and paid a lot of money to see us so you’ve got to make sure you still give 110%. I thought that should be inherent and what it should always be."

KK Downing Wasn’t Happy With Judas Priest's Live Performance

21. Doggiedogma

I love KK, Glenn, Ian and Rob. KK and Glenn were THE metal guitar duo! I think KK was upset with the direction JP was going and upset with management, and left. I don't know if KK would re-join JP w/o Glenn (maybe yes/no), but JP concert tix would sell better with KK .
    This sux!

22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Glenn is 70 years old. I can tell you from experience, that the music business(and touring) is hard on someone that age. He is a trooper for staying with it as long as he can, but perhaps it's time for a younger player to take the helm. Judas Priest has had the moment in the sun. There is nothing left for that band to prove. I dig those guys.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You never know what went down when K.K. left. They may be smacking their heads right now over at Priest headquarters. I'd bet a nickel that they thought that K.K. would flat turn them down if they asked him to rejoin, so they didn't bother. Most bands have CRAPPY communications skills, especially with departed members.

Anyway, K.K. should have expressed his disappointment directly to the band before going to the press, Maybe he did for all I know - it's possible.

24. I remember rumours going around back when I was in junior high (early-mid '80s) that Rob and KK were married.

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Living large means you need big bucks coming in - constantly. Last I saw KK's estate was in serious trouble and on the sales block:

International buyers eye KK Downing's troubled country estate

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.