Go-Go's documentary trailer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vamborules, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They were DEFINITELY part of the punk scene, and if you lived in LA at the time, they were regularly mentioned in place like the Calendar section of the LA Times and the LA Weekly long before they got a record deal.

This is not some sort of revisionist tale.

2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

For the second time now, my point (above) was not to say The Go-Go's were or weren't part of a punk scene. My point was about recent rock music documentaries in general.

3. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Cheers. I might watch it this week.

4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Did they mention who or what the management team was that took over for
    the original business woman? If they did, I missed it.

5. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Perhaps what they need to do is make a documentary about how uncool punk actually was, and how there were less punk bands than everyone thinks there was.

Kris-AOTY likes this.
  6. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Huh. I felt like they tackled some pretty difficult, controversial and uncomfortable subjects. Firing original members, firing their manager, Jane Wiedlin's reasons for quitting, Belinda recording Paula Jean's song and having a solo hit with it...I didn't feel this was handled with kid gloves at all.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice! I want it!

8. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

looks interesting, would be nice to see it, but I don't have Showtime

9. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I saw the doc over the weekend and loved it! After hearing Jane's reasons, I don't blame her for quitting. Her requests weren't unreasonable. She wanted to sing ONE song (that she wrote) on the Talk Show album... why not? Keith always got to sing on Stones albums! And they ambushed her with the whole publishing thing.

Davido, Sean, intv7 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

With Belinda being only a singer, I can see why. But it wasn't worth losing Jane over.

11. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

This documentary was not a total whitewash... but there were certainly efforts made to smooth things.

There were multiple times when band member X would say, "someone in the band said the following harsh comment to me..." without actually naming the person responsible for the specific incident. For example, Kathy was livid when she found out the that the Go-Go's had been disbanded. I believe Kathy's quote in the movie was, "We had a meeting at our manager's office. I was informed that the band was done. I was very upset that I didn't have a say in the matter. One of the band members told me that I shouldn't have a say in the matter. She said that she was the writer of the songs and that she (Belinda) was the singer". It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Charlotte was the source of the quote. Why not just say it? There was more than a little beating around the bush in this documentary.

Jane remembers being crushed when she made a request to sing one of her own songs on Head Over Heals: "Someone in the band asked me what makes me think that I should be allowed to sing a song " [paraphrased].

In an effort to portray a simpler (and happier) story, a lot was skipped over. The Kathy Valentine lawsuit that kept her out of the band for 6 years was perhaps seen as something that went against the overall concept of Go-Go's Family.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    eddiel, 905, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Is there a dedicated Go-go's thread? Couldn't find it in search. second question: Is that Jane singing with Belinda on Forget That Day?

Davido likes this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Maybe they were upset at the DR of the album. :angel:

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

...As The Monkees always do. And it annoys me then too. :p

intv7 likes this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Then release an extended version like Beatles Anthology. The Go-Go's are important (and interesting) enough to warrant it.

905 and Davido like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The Supremes are a favorite of mine. But they're not really the same type of achievement as The Go-Go's.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Schock is ABBA fan? One more reason to :love: .

905 and Fawltykog like this.
  18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Me neither, but according to their website there is a blu-ray/DVD release in Feb. 2021. Hopefully it has an extended version or some other treats.

19. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

If the Eagles' documentary was so long, that it was broken into two parts (Pt. 1 and Pt. 2), the Go.Go's could've also had a two-parter. Plenty of material. Which is to say, I finally watched the movie last week and truly enjoyed it. Considering how much tension has apparently always existed within the band, they've done well and pulled together when it counted like when Gina underwent heart surgery just before the band fell apart the first time.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Apparently from the promotional ad I've seen, there won't be any bonus footage or extras on the documentary's Blu-ray/DVD release.

Marshall

80 Songs With "Happy" in the Title

21. I was surprised to see that Margot Olavarria agreed to participate in the film, given that she’s still pretty bitter about how she was unceremoniously pushed out of the band.
    I don’t know that the returns would be anywhere near enough to warrant the effort, but let’s at least see an archival release of material from their punk years. Some of the stuff we hear in the film is pretty good.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Hmm, well it is quite expensive for a bare-bones release. Maybe they could add the entire VH1 special as an easter egg. :D

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I believe it was Irving Azoff’s Front Line Management. The band was doomed

They kind of whitewashed that Margo was apparently also a junkie and came down with hepatitis, which led to Kathy being in the band. The story about Margo seeing Charlotte scoring Heroin in NYC was interesting

It was a great documentary. The Go-Gos were one of the first LA bands to make it big.

Comet01 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  24. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

That's a fun idea though I'd prefer having the "Wild at the Greek" performance as a bonus, unexpurgated, with the complete setlist finally restored.

GLUDFSSR, AlmanacZinger and Hep Alien like this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I've watched this show all the way through, twice. I loved it.

Some might wish they had dished more dirt, but I think the filmmakers kept things fairly centered. This was no puff piece.

In real time back in the day, the marketing for the Go Go's turned me off - they didn't strike me as being too serious, so I overlooked them. This doc got me listening to their stuff for the first time. Really good power pop, in that Nick Lowe kind of vein.

Hep Alien and BluesOvertookMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.