Godzilla-King of the Monsters .2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He offered way more than that. You need to let this go as much as I do. Peace.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Pretty much what I expected. After 50 years of these things, if you’re looking for depth in a kaiju film you need too look elsewhere.

I enjoyed it.

3. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

You are correct...my apologies.

Btw, I only took umbrage with your dismissive tone, not your opinion of the movie. Stating that it was stupid (actually, the way you said it), implied that those of is who enjoyed it are, by proxy, also stupid...or at the least less film-savvy than you. As I doubt (or certainly hope) that that wasn't your intent, perhaps I overreacted. My apologies.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'll grant that, but Endgame built up to the ending climax where this irrational Thanos and his minions are destroying everything without remorse.

With Godzilla, the monster titan's go about destroying everything without remorse.

Which also seems to be the plot for John Wick 3.

I see more thing in common with one another than I do differences.

Godzilla and other monster movies never really ever had any plots or story lines. They just had monsters that were hell bent on total and complete destruction.

Godzilla and his friends have been doing this for almost 70-years with no new surprises.

I think that it was an excellent deliberate choice that Godzilla had no real story or plot, that nobody would care about anyway.

While the original Jurassic Park did have a good plot and story line, the sequels were so contrived to the point that they were a total waste of time.

Monster's that eat people are a lot more fun and you don't need a storyline.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

First you interject and now suggest letting it go...convenient.

But, it's not bad advice...so I shall. Peace

6. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I was being sarcastic. You seemed to take one of many varied opinions and decide it was somehow fact. If actually going out to the theater was the issue, I get it, but I would also say that a movie like this is best enjoyed on the big screen.

Either way, I've spent too much time now defending a movie that I never said was great to begin with. But, if you're a Godzilla fan and have the time and ability to go to the theater, I think it's worth it...but that's just me

7. I saw it earlier today and quite enjoyed it. I’ll stand by my opinion that Godzilla movies suffer a bit when they’re done by Hollywood studios, but this was my favorite of the Hollywood ‘Zillas.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

From MSN...

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters stomped its way to $19.6 million at the box office on Friday from 4,108 locations, which puts it on pace for an opening weekend between $48-51 million.

That total is lower than initial projections that had the film pegged for to open between $55 million to as high as $65 million, but it's enough that it can claim the top spot from Disney's live-action Aladdin, which earned $11.9 million on Friday for a likely $42-43 million second weekend.

Shawn likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You don’t seem to want to let it go. But I’m going to.

Laterz

10. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Saw it today and enjoyed it. I do have a bias though as I watched and loved all the Godzilla movies from a kid up to present. So I went to see monsters fighting and that's what I got. Honestly, as alluded to above, if you want strict plot and character development, deeper meaning towards life, etc., what are you doing watching any Godzilla movie? :)

Two things I liked: when the pilot ejected - right into one of Ghidorah's mouths; and at the end where it looked like one Ghidorah's heads was emerging from the nuclear-expoding Godzilla - only to be the head and neck with Godzilla chomping on the other end! :)

11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched this film and enjoyed the monsters fighting. They mention Skull Island and Kong a few times, so I guess they're saving that encounter for one of the upcoming films. There is a post-credits scene, but very few people at my screening waited for it.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  12. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

movie was descent popcorn flic, tho. def want to see it in a theatre.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

i noticed that too. trying to do a universe tie in maybe? maybe they are part of the universal "dark universe" ? like dracula untold and mummy reboot and what have you.??

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Pro tip? Never go out to the huge popcorn films on a Saturday night. Weekends are for tiny arthouse, Indie and foreign language films. See the huge popcorn ones only on weeknights when there are fewer noisy, entitled cretins.

15. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Doesn't seem like you're letting it go...does it now?

Laterz

kevywevy likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you.
    Not at all. My wife enjoyed it quite a lot more than I did. Here's her Twitter review:

257) Godzilla: King of the Monsters @ Galewood. I wish I'd seen the 2014 Godzilla again before watching this. So, ok, this was dopey, but damn, it's freaking GODZILLA, gotta love it. I spent months closing my eyes during teasers/previews so it'd all be new to me. Glad I did.

I wish it had been a better film, but it failed me. For instance, there is a scene where a man commits an act of self sacrifice. I am an absolute sap for moments like that, and any reasonably competent director will have me choked up and teary - Guggenheim in Titanic "We are dressed in our best and prepared to go down as gentlemen", the spaceship crew in Deep Impact "Well, at least we'll all have high schools named after us."

But the sacrifice in this film didn't move me in the slightest. I haven't read a whole bunch of reviews but nobody has mentioned it on this thread. The director failed.

RK2249 likes this.
  17. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Saw this with my sone today, we both loved it. I’m also biased, we have a collection of all the movies. The monsters look great, and there was plenty of action.

Sammy Banderas, d3adf1sh and digdug67 like this.
  18. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

This is one of the main reasons I have to think twice about going to a public cinema as opposed to a membership-only club. When I saw Avengers Endgame three people came in after the movie had started, sat next to us and continued talking loudly and using their phones. When my friend asked them to keep it down a little the one next to her began screaming in anger 'Are you f'n KIDDING ME???!!!'. So we had to move from the seats we had selected thirty minutes earlier.

My favourite independent cinema the Prince Charles shows a clip reminding patrons what behaviour is expected before every shoowing - it used to use this clip:

At the peak of the laughing they would freeze frame and say 'This is Max Cady. Don't be a Max Cady this evening - no cigar smoking, no maniacal cackling, no loud laughing, no disturbing other patrons - enjoy the show... '

Never had any problems there in years of movie going.

Sammy Banderas and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

These days they show this one from Gremlins with the message 'Don't be a Gremlin':

d3adf1sh likes this.
  20. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

Saw this last night on IMAX. It’s big, loud and dumb....and therefore perfect. I appreciated the 2014 iteration for it’s arty peekaboo of some of the monster battles, but it felt long and drawn out. This has a nice pace that is engaging throughout. The human acting is hysterical in every sense of the word - but if you were faced with giant size monsters rampaging in front of you, you’d probably be incapable of nuance as well. The CGI monsters, on the other hand, are wonderfully presented. A popcorn movie that delivers exactly what it sets out to do...nothing more for sure..but I went because I wanted to see big monsters fight each other in spectacular fashion....and that is exactly what I got.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

go look at the movies slate for a 2020 release

22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Agree. I might go to 2 movies a year in the theater at the most, and some years I don't go to any. I would rather spend my evenings going to see live music or doing something like curling, bowling or playing volleyball or tennis. But I've been a Godzilla fan for over 50 years and I'll go to see this, dopey or not. I don't care that Newsday gave it zero stars.

23. James Slattery

Or better yet, a weekday late morning showing on a school day.

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. James Slattery

The people who look for intelligence and logic in Godzilla films shouldn't watch the Ultraman TV show.

Shawn, SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

This is a movie where you clap for the monsters.

I think the Director did exactly what he set out to do.

Yes, you did.

Anyone who is looking for any namby pamby Jurassic Park sequel human story is in the wrong movie.

This movie is about mucho bad monster's killing people and destroying everything in their parth, while fighting with each other.

For anyone wanting a plot, discernable scripted dialog, and perhaps a touch of human empathy, this is the wrong movie.

No doubt there will be yet another Jurassic Park sequel out shortly enough.

There will no doubt be "poor humans" that will get eaten by the big bad dinosaur's, plenty enough emphity to go around.

This Godzilla movie is for the big dogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.