Golden Earring - Moontan - remastered & expanded - 2CD - release date: 10 September 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wouter, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks for posting!
    Some great footage, wish I could understand the Dutch :cry: although in one or two cases I kind of get the gist of what’s being said.
    Looks like a great documentary.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Also the end of the film with George singing Hold Me Now is particularly poignant as one poster already said.
    I see that Wouter and Jeroen were involved in the production of the documentary too.
    Well done guys, it looks great apart from my obvious inability to understand all the interviews. :tiphat:

LGJ, RAT1 and Greenalishi like this.
  3. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

@Wouter and all other fans. I believe 2022 will be a great year for Earringfans. Bring on the other titles!!!

4. Lonesome Crow

Lonesome Crow Well-Known Member

This documentary explores the secret of the Earring's rhythm section. How do they play together and how do they hold up together for so long? Recorded in 2015 and broadcast on Dutch TV, the following famous people express their admiration for Rinus and Caesar:

John Waite - Singer
    Terry Bozzio - Drummer
    Jaap Eggermont - Drummer
    Thomas Verbogt - Writer
    Robert Jan Stips - Keyboard Player
    Eef Albers - Guitarist

PhR, Greenalishi, Slim Zooms and 2 others like this.
  5. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks for posting this.
    You Dutch folks are really blessed having a band with such a rich musical heritage and having these high quality documentaries to celebrate them. I wish I was fluent in your mother tongue, I can only understand little bits!
    Rinus and Cesar come across really well, like a couple of great friends- which is what they are of course. They look as if they would be great company too.
    Golden Earring Forever!

6. Lonesome Crow

Robert Jan Stips talks about his Golden Earring time and his contribution to the LP "To The Hilt".

I posted the complete documentary about Robert Jan Stips on my YouTube channel yesterday. This is only the Golden Earring part and sees the description for what they say, for the people who can't understand Dutch.
    "To The Hilt" is my favourite Earring album by the way.

From a Dutch TV documentary recorded in 2019, Robert Jan Stips tells how he came to the Golden Earring. Also on display are Rinus Gerritsen and Cesar Zuiderwijk making music with Robert Jan and talking about the creation of the Earring their most ambitious LP "To The Hilt" from 1976.

1 Sometime in 2019, Earring members Rinus Gerritsen and Cesar Zuiderwijk will make and record music together with Robert Jan Stips. Rinus says "I think it would be nice to put some sound effects on my bass with that Supersister music, you can do strange things with that". Robert says "Yeah, especially with that one song". 0:00

2 They jam together, Rinus says "It's weird that G and that D count in 3", Robert says "Let's just hold on to four counts". Rinus is happy with that. 0:30

3 Rinus says "The special thing about Robert is that he has completely unpredictable counts, I can't read notes a session musician could play it right away, He asked us because he played with us for 2 years, which is nice". 1:10

4 Robert says "On the day that Supersister stopped, Cesar showed up at my doorstep and asked if I would go on tour with them, that was in 2 weeks! " That same day Rinus came to me with a mini Moog synthesizer and told me to play on it, but with a certain sound. 1:42

5 Robert says "I thought it was brave that they asked me, they were looking for new musical influences in their music, for me it was simple and it was confusing. The music I made with Supersister was much more complex and the earring songs were much simpler often only had 4 or 5 chords, sometimes I got confused because I couldn't remember the songs apart properly. 2:41

6 Robert says "it was a lot of fun going on a tour with 3 friends, we did 3 big tours in the US and all the cliches about touring are true, swimming pools and groupies showing you the city..... 3:43

7 Rinus and Cesar talk about the time they recorded the LP "To The Hilt" at George's home. Robert says "Then they asked me to arrange strings on certain songs that I had never done before". 4:31

8 Rinus and Cesar saying"He had to do it, he could also read music so he will be able to, After all, he attended the conservatory and for the first time also conducted. 5:09

9 Rinus says "And then he arranged the entire strings part on Violins around my bass part, which was just completely improvised, haha I was so proud of that bass part!". 5:33

10 Rinus says "We are pretty straightforward in our music and Robert brought the frivolity in, he flutters through it nicely. 6:20

ARK, RAT1, Haggis Wampovich and 2 others like this.
  7. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

To The Hilt is a great album indeed, not loved by many GE fans though. And all this talk about ambition, other directions, prog-rock tendencies etcetera will maybe put people off?

wadenits, ARK and Slim Zooms like this.
  8. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I didn’t really like To The Hilt to begin with. I found the keyboards-heavy approach off-putting. However, it is a slow-burner and I really like it now. I love Violins, Nomad, the title track and Facedancer.
    It is really great stuff.

wadenits, ARK and bibijeebies like this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks for posting this clip and also the descriptions. I really enjoy them, despite my limited grasp of Dutch.

10. THANK YOU for the transcription.

ARK and Slim Zooms like this.
  11. RAT1

RAT1 Forum Resident

Can't wait for a "To The Hilt" remastered & expanded ;-)

wadenits, hbsbla, ARK and 2 others like this.
  12. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

If it happens, it’ll be great :righton:

ARK likes this.
  13. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

To The Hilt is a great album. I've loved it since the day it was released.

Too many late friday night memories, partying with friends. Looking at each other and saying, Are we "To The Hilt" yet?

14. Lonesome Crow

Golden Earring in a Dutch TV report from 1976 performing in Ahoy and fragments of Sleepwalking' Live

Rare TV fragment from 1976. The Golden Earring went to perform for the first time in Ahoy in Rotterdam, which was a large hall in the Netherlands. Fragments of interviews with Rinus who says that this is also special for them. Robert Jan Stips say that making music is a lifestyle and that they are involved in it day and night. George says he makes music for fun and used to be a street kid and now an artist. Beautiful live recordings of Sleepwalkin', with Barry enjoying himself and saxophonist Bertus Borgers, can also be seen who regularly participated in the performances from 1971 to 2019.

Greenalishi and mattazing like this.
  15. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Please use this thread for posts related to the Moontan 2CD.
    There's a general GE topic for other related posts:

Golden Earring Appreciation Thread | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Best wishes,
    Wouter

SinnerSaint, ARK, eelkiller and 2 others like this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

@Wouter
    I finally got your remaster today and I must say I'm impressed. It sounds fantastic.

Wouter and Slim Zooms like this.
  17. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

I wish at least one of those was in English!

Jeroen Ras and Slim Zooms like this.
  18. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

@Wouter
    I ordered the new Moontan back in September. My order never arrived from the UK, just got a refund and re-ordered from a different seller.
    Now blasting it and loving it!
    Looking forward to what you have in store for us in the new year!

Jeroen Ras, Wouter and Slim Zooms like this.
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I know me too :cry:

20. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

I didn’t realise was out until today. Great album

RAT1 likes this.
  21. Wouter

Hi,

The 2LP vinyl version of Moontan (remastered & expanded) will be released on 25h February 2022, through Music On Vinyl.

LP1
    1. Candy's Going Bad
    2. Are You Receiving Me
    3. Suzy Lunacy (Mental Rock)
    4. Radar Love
    5. Just Like Vince Taylor
    6. Vanilla Queen

LP2
    1. Big Tree, Blue Sea (1973 Version)
    2. The Song is Over
    3. Instant Poetry
    4. From Heaven, From Hell (1974 Version)
    5. Candy's Going Bad (Rough Mix)
    6. Radar Love (Basic Track)
    7. Are You Receiving Me (Basic Track)

- 180 GRAM AUDIOPHILE VINYL
    - GATEFOLD SLEEVE
    - REMASTERED & EXPANDED 2LP EDITION FROM THE FIRST-GENERATION MASTER TAPES
    - FEATURING 3 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MIXES AND 4 BONUS TRACKS
    - INCLUDES 8-PAGE BOOKLET WITH A NEW ESSAY, MEMORABILIA AND PHOTOS
    - LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED COPIES ON CRYSTAL CLEAR VINYL

[​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Wouter

RAT1, dasacco, Mister Charlie and 4 others like this.
  22. Wouter

Hi,

To The Hilt has been recently remastered by yours truly.
    A new 1 CD edition will be available this Spring - don't know about a release date at this moment.

Perhaps an expanded edition will follow somewhere in the future.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

Redearth, RAT1, tinnox and 4 others like this.
  23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Let’s hope so. But it’s all good.

24. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

This is great news to hear about the Moontan 2lp!
    Different pressings and masterings of this classic are always welcome. Will get lots of play time at my house.
    Also very excited to get a new mastering of 'To the Hilt' on CD. I have early polydor cd's of almost all the Earring albums up to and into the 80's.
    The old Polydor's were the best sounding cd's for many years. Our hosts Moontan being the only exception.
    Of course, the Wouter remasters have been a very welcome surprise. They have that WOW factor, and I will be purchasing everything that comes my way.

25. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Is the vinyl cut from the original analog tape or the digital remaster?

Thanks!