Golden Earring - new boxset "The Complete Studio Recordings"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJConroy, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ugh. I hate that big ugly drop shadow they stuck on there. They can't find the original art...so they blew it up?

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought that they used the original Red Bullet mastering for this box where they could? The Polydor discs are not that easy to find in North America but they are worth looking for. :righton:

3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I haven't heard the new box set but somebody here reported that the CDs are even more compressed than the already rather compressed first Red Bullet remasters.

4. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Looks like they zoomed in on the image to exclude the Polydor logo. The drop shadow was added to the title to make it more legible against it's new position over the background (previously the solid brown wall, now the picture in the frame).

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I actually prefer it, as it makes them easy to peruse.

ARK likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Man I used to have all the polydors (including the fatboy for LIVE) but I got rid of all of them for peanuts when I "upgraded" to the Red Bullets....

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

There was some shuffling before 'Wall Of Dolls'. The permanent line-up was a fact when drummer extra-ordinaire Cesar Zuiderwijk joined, although they got supplemented for awhile by Eelco Gelling and Robert-Jan Stips (of Supersister/Nits fame). Worse decisions have been made in rock. The Cesar-less Eight Miles High is absolutely a must-have, though. Before that, On The Double is a nice, psychedelic answer to the White Album. The first three albums are good if 60's beat music rocks yer boat.

I'm fine with my Red Bullets, 3 Originals-set (for the first 3 albums), Steve's Moontan and the Devil Made Us Do It-box.
    The box sounds like a nice initiative. I would like to download the three bonus discs. Pity about the mastering, though.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  8. eelkiller

I own all of the Polydors, including the three live albums (2 doubles). They are all decent IMO.

9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Some nice trivia: When you line up the Red Bullet cd's in chronological order with the openings to the front in the cd cabinet the spines form the band member shots from The Hole.

Dusty Chalk, slipkid and Galley like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I never noticed that....

11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Admittedly I haven't heard the originals of these albums but every one of them sound great to me...guess the originals must have really been stellar!!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  12. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

A question for those of you who have it: how loud/compressed is this set? Is it so overly loud/compressed that someone who is not familiar with the original Polydor/Red Bullet issues would feel ripped off? I am interested in this set, but I don't wish to spend $130 on something I will find painful to listen to.

I am already hesitant to purchase this b/c of the altered artwork, but I can overlook that complaint if the sound is decent.

13. eelkiller

I am wondering if the later discs are straight reissues? The Polydor discs are very good as are the first CD's for N.E.W.S. and Cut. But some people I have spoken with prefer the remasters but they don't even lurk here. ;)

14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I've never heard any of these albums on CD before, but after one time through, the only one I could say didn't sound very good was Moontan. All the others sounded fine.

15. cageyc

cageyc Forum Resident

I think the set sounds pretty good, and find the masterings less abrasive then the Red Bullet remasters. The first disc I listened to for comparative purposes was "Keeper of the Flame"--not a great album, assuredly, but this was one of the worst sounding RB remasters, so I thought it would provide a nice juxtaposition, and the new box set version sounds much improved. Smooth and clear, and no digital glitches in "Say My Prayer."

In addition to the RB remasters, I own all of the original non-remastered CD releases for the main catalogue starting with "Eight Miles High"--bought this set mainly for the rarities discs--and to me, this new box compares favorably with both the originals and the 2001 RB remasters. For listeners who don't want to track down the original releases, but who want the entire studio output plus rarities, this seems like a reasonable way to get it all.

Boaz and Jimmy Agates like this.
  16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Well I went from having ZERO Golden Earring in my collection to this and am VERY satisfied. So much great stuff I missed over the years.... I'm almost ashamed of myself for being so ignorant!!

Slim Zooms, Galley and Runicen like this.
  17. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

I'm a big fan of Golden Earring, already have the Red Bullet Years box. That is all. :)

My favourite track is still, "I Can't Sleep Without You". Is there a studio version of this song? The only versions I'm familiar with are live ones.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  18. That 1970-74 era is white hot!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  19. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

This was only done live during the Naked Truth concerts. Same goes for "The Naked Truth" itself.

Slim Zooms, eelkiller and Dusty Chalk like this.
  20. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Still need to get this box sometime... Just for the 3 'rarities'-discs though, I've got the rest already...

Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Thanks! Now I can stop wondering what I'm missing.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

According to a comment on www.superdeluxeedition.com this box was not newly remastered & is the same as the RBs already out (??).

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, me too. Although this is a hell of lot cheaper than the recent Ian Hunter boxset (which has more rarities than this though), I am not going to buy 26 CDs I already have to get 3 CDs with some tracks that I don't have.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  24. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

As I wrote earlier on amazon.de a reviewer says that the mastering is different from the earlier Red Bullets. Most albums are supposedly more compressed, have less bass and boosted mid-range. The guy SOUNDS as if he knows what he's talking about.

25. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

For me Golden Earring is Moontan,a textbook for the art of contrast between fast and slow,hard and soft,quiet and loud,I will never forget when I first head the chorus of Vanilla Queen suddenly fade into a lonely acoustic Guitar or Candy's Going Bad going from a rocker to a almost erie vocal symphony,or Radar Love go into a long jam after after Barry Hay in an almost documentary fashion sings "RadarLove" or hearing "Big Tree Blue Sea" go from a romping rocker to an atmospheric flute solo,or "Are You Receiving Me" do more with what to me sounds like two notes at the end than any other band I have ever heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.