Golden Globe Nominations 2021- Time Have Changed!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

first off, they got the noms because they are well done shows that impressed the people who saw the shows and do the voting. second, have you seen enough shows to say they don't deserve the accolades? i'd bet money i've seen more of these shows than you have. and third, being on Netflix has little to do with getting any nominations except maybe wider exposure. they could/would have been just as praised on HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Borat the character is a bigger hit in many, many foreign countries than in US. different senses of humor results in what is considered funny outside the US.

Manapua and Daniel Plainview like this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I watched at least 30 series in 2020 on a variety of streaming platforms and countries. Carefully chosen from a mix of continued series I enjoy and critical acclaim from tv media. Netflix got 42 nominations, 35% of all nominations. The biggest tv award Top drama tv series is 3/5 Netflix series but nothing from BBC, FX, AMC, Showtime, Amazon, AppleTV, USA Network, Starz, ect.

Dissidence likes this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Do you watch “The Crown”?

5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

i applaud your numbers. were in the same ballpark with you probably ahead in terms of non-US series. what in your mind should have replaced things such as The Crown or Ozark in the Globes? additionally, Netflix appears to have the money to throw at writers, producers, actors. etc. that produce programs of a high enough quality to be included in awards. also, with this being chosen by foreign journalists, Netflix is one way-if not the-way they can easily see the largest number of choices. not sure things like USA, AMC, FX, etc. are easily accessible outside US. i my be wrong but i don't think so.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I thought the 'mother' in the Queen's Gambit would get a supporting nom.

trumpet sounds and jlocke08 like this.
  7. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

I think Anya has a good chance of winning. Her mother in the series is a director who's made a few films.

jlocke08 likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

makes one wonder what it would it cost per month to subscribe to every streaming service that got a nomination?

it has gone beyond for me, i do believe that i will stick with cable til i die and i'll see what i see and i won't see what i don't pay extra for.

my cable (phone & internet) bill is $200+ per month, i will not even pay another $5 for anything, enough is enough.

JediJones likes this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I haven’t gotten around to watching that yet. I subscribe to a wide variety of platforms off and on to see a diverse selections of shows from around the world. There’s a lot more than just Netflix out there.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s enough great tv series out there that they easily could have spread out the nominations across different platforms. Netflix: top drama film 2/5, top drama tv series 3/5, top drama tv limited series 2/5.

Top 2020 movie and tv critics lists weren’t 35% Netflix. They were very diverse.

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Yet you seem upset that “The Crown” gets nominated over & over. I suggest you watch it first before passing judgement.

Chris DeVoe and jlocke08 like this.
  12. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

What? No prime time, network game show(s) were nominated?

JediJones likes this.
  13. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

my thoughts exactly. if you ain't seen it don't knock it. you can have an opinion on if you are interested in it or will like it based on subject, director, actors, etc. but award worthiness comments should be made once you have watched the material IMO.

audiomixer likes this.
  14. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

just looking at the noms again makes me feel even more strongly that streaming and network/cable should have completely separate awards shows. i know it's not going to happen. and the fact that Rhea Seehorn can't get a nom as upporting actress show the GG's really are more than a bit of a joke.

JediJones likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My only criticism is the overwhelming Netflix presence and multiple nominations in the same categories. Nothing against The Crown at all. I disagree that all 5 nominations in Rhea’s category were Netflix series and 2 out of 5 were for the Crown. Look at the nominations below and tell me it’s not overkill.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SUPPORTING ROLE
    GILLIAN ANDERSON THE CROWN (Netflix)
    HELENA BONHAM CARTER THE CROWN (Netflix)
    JULIA GARNER OZARK (Netflix)
    ANNIE MURPHY SCHITT'S CREEK (Netflix)
    CYNTHIA NIXON RATCHED (Netflix)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
    OLIVIA COLMAN THE CROWN (Netflix)
    EMMA CORRIN THE CROWN (Netflix)
    JODIE COMER KILLING EVE (BBC)
    LAURA LINNEY OZARK (Netflix)
    SARAH PAULSON RATCHED (Netflix)

JediJones and Dissidence like this.
  16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Golden Netflix Globes. Now it all makes sense. :laugh:

JediJones and Brenald79 like this.
  17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Schitt's Creek is available on Netflix, like many other programs from a variety of original providers, but in the U.S., Schitt's Creek is a PopTV network show (formerly the TV Guide Network, acquired by ViacomCBS.) I don't disagree with your larger point though.

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

if i'm not mistaken Schitt's Creek is no longer playing on the POP network just their streaming. and the series was originally on CBC in Canada.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Right. The show has ended. But it's still not a Netflix show, any more than Shameless or Star Trek: Deep Space Nine are.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Golden Globes are in a wee bit of hot water for snubs and HPMA members :D

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

More hot water for the Golden Globes haha. Amazon and Netflix have distanced themselves from them now. This years awards will be the last “whitewash” lol.

23. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

90% of everything is crap. It's hard to pay full price for something when you're only getting 10% value on the dollar.

The main justification for putting a TV show behind a paywall is so that it can contain sex, nudity, profanity and drug use. These things also make it more "artistic" in the minds of some. I don't typically find it entertaining to watch any of that.

And the justification for releasing a movie direct to TV, cable or video is that it sucks.

Even when I've liked a network TV show I can almost never watch it consistently. I'm not consistently interested in watching the same thing over and over again. So paying a subscription fee to watch 10% of their content on an intermittent basis doesn't seem worth it.

Theatrical movies and home video are still the best format and business model. You use word-of-mouth and critics to help decide what you want to see. Then you pay to see just that one thing. There isn't a network who can shove crap on you in a "bundle" because they've gotten you to pay for their entire catalog. If those models prevail, then the watchability of content will continue to collapse. The network only has to produce one or two shows you actually like to keep you signed on while they dump the rest of the money you paid them into vanity projects that satisfy the tastes of Hollywood elitists and perverts.

Borat 2 went after the Trump administration, so that would merit an automatic nomination in the comedy category from an elite awards show.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Daniel Plainview likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.