Golden Globes 2019.... *chirp*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Didn’t these things happened two days ago and nobody mentioned them here? Personally I am OK with it, I never thought the GG were that important.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

*chirp*
    *chirp*
    *chirp*
    *chirp*
    (same goes to all awards shows)

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I switched over to it every so often to see what was going on, but I had to give up as my head was starting to hurt from all the eye-rolling. More lectures from my intellectual superiors.

I'm probably going to sit out the Oscars this year for the first time in like 30 years. Why bother watching? I didn't see any of the films and I don't know who 90% of the actors are. The only thing I will miss is our annual Academy Award thread here, where we turn the sound off and say rude things for 3 hours. Good times.

4. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

So you prefer the Grammys instead, where the winners are chosen based on their popularity and have wide recognition?

By the way, the Golden Globes were discussed in the thread about Bohemian Rhapsody winning best picture.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Haven't watched the Grammy's since 1998.

6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Not sure why it's not as relevant as any other 'industry' award, although I never watch any of them.

I've just had a look at this years awards and I disagree with them, so they seem to have ticked at least one essential box.

7. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

So you reject the concept of awards shows?

8. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Could not care less about Golden Globes or any other awards shows. The only reason I even clicked on this thread was because of the chirping!

9. I do.

10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Kool. Nothing particularly wrong with that.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That's sad, as there were a bunch of really great films released this year. I'm not sure that all of them I thought were great are going to get nominated for anything, but the truth is that anybody who sees a lot of films knows that there's never been such a thing as "a bad year for movies."

Jack_Straw, Chip Z, Vidiot and 5 others like this.
  12. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

The main reason I avoid such shows now.

goodiesguy, Gumboo, hifisoup and 4 others like this.
  13. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

If one's bar is low enough, there's never been a bad year for anything.

14. Chris DeVoe

I always thought some member of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association should send their ballot to my wife Vickie, because she's seen everything nominated in every category (with the possible exception of a few of the foreign language ones that haven't played Chicago yet.)

15. Chris DeVoe

No, it's a matter of casting a wide enough net. My favorite films of last year never got nominated for anything and played maybe a week, and never had the money to get a "for your consideration" campaign.

I guess a lot of people to just assume that if it wasn't advertised to them it must not be any good.

The idea there's a "bad year for movies" is just as stupid as claiming that there was a "bad year for music." There's always great stuff out there for people with open eyes and ears.

LilacTeardrop, SJP and ando here like this.
  16. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Or...there are people out there who take a different approach toward evaluating what makes for a "good year", regardless of how many movies they've seen. I loved some movies this year, too (well, maybe just one). That doesn't mean it was a "good year for movies".

nano nano likes this.
  17. Actually there was a lot written about the globes in various separate specific film and tv threads.

Troyh likes this.
  18. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Whilst I won't be watching any award ceremony, there are good films I've enjoyed without knowing who the actors are. Having said that I don't know many actors/actresses to my friends amusement.

19. Chris DeVoe

If you only loved one film this year... you didn't see enough movies.

20. Not sure why some people bitch about celebrities lecturing their opinions on television or in the press . Politicians do it, folks on YouTube and twitter do it. Forum members here do it. Celebrities are simply using the platform that they work in.

Turn it off or mute it if you don’t like it. :tiphat:

21. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Interestingly enough, I went and watched "Bodied" based on your recommendation. Spoiler alert: it wasn't the movie I loved in 2018 (though I did find it entertaining enough). But you rock on with your sweeping gospel about all the great films we're missing, and how sad that is.

nano nano likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Agreed, but as far as the Academy Awards go I always saw them as a uniquely “Hollywood” experience. And many of the films, if not most, that you’re thinking about were probably independent films or foreign films Because what Hollywood is offering us these days is childish crap. My analogy would be going to a buffet held by Warner Bros. and complaining about food, while someone else says “But there’s so much wonderful food in the world.” And thinking: “yeah, but none of it’s here on offer.”

Gumboo, Dave Mac and Lightworker like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Well, thanks for taking one of my recommendations! I thought it might appeal to those here who are annoyed at Hollywood's left-leaning bias and that crowd gets very thoroughly skewered.

24. Chris DeVoe

The Hollywood versus Indie distinction basically no longer exists. Every major studio has their "Indie" label and I can't generally be bothered to see who released a particular film.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I'm always looking for a good movie, and I did enjoy it (so thanks for the rec). But if it's your evidence of 2018 being a "good year for movies", I'm far from convinced. And to be fair, my taste has narrowed as I've grown older. In fact, I've revisited numerous films that I once adored to find myself wondering what I was thinking at the time. In my opinion, it's a very small margin that holds up. In any case, I think a good year for film is one where there are more agreed-upon masterpieces, not a bunch of personal faves.

nano nano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.