Good King Crimson compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

I've already got In the Court..., Lark's Tongue..., Red, and Discipline (might get the new one later), and I'm thinking of getting a good KC comp to fill the gaps. I've heard some great stuff off those other albums, but I don't feel like buying the whole album in many cases.

Is there a good KC anthology, best of, etc.?

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

You'll want to pick up the "Young Person's Guide to KC." A very nice overview.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Re: Re: Good King Crimson compilation?

Young Person's Guide may be hard to find, especially on CD. I believe the only CD edition came out in Japan years ago, and is OOP.

The 4-CD Frame by Frame box set is back in print, and covers both the 70s and 80s editions of King Crimson.

4. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Re: Re: Re: Good King Crimson compilation?

I was checking the Discipline Mailorder site and it looks like "Young Person's Guide" is not listed but, there is a single CD collection called "The Compact King Crimson." It has 4 tracks from the Mark 1 KC and the rest from the "Discipline" era onwards.

http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/shop/

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Frame by Frame is an excellent overview... good remasters!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Will we ever hear a great sounding "In The Court Of the Crimson King" LP on Cee Dee? Every version I own 'Hurts" the ears...Harsh as Hell...Like fingernails on a chalkboard....

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It was never an audiophile recording... nevertheless the latest remaster is the best... I owned the original LP... not harsh, but so muddy! I can't hear the LP...

8. Michael

Which is the latest Cee Dee remaster? What year did it come out? Thanks Claus!

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The 30th Anniversary edition was released 1999... 24-Bit remastered by Simon Heyworth and Robert Fripp.

10. Michael

Yup, That's the one I have...I guess that's the best there is...

11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I have a single disc compilation from the 1989/91 Definitive Edition remasters called Sleepless: The Concise King Crimson released in 1993.

To say it only scratches the surface is of course a huge understatement but it's a decent comp chock full of music.

12. chris w.

chris w. New Member

The Frame By Frame box is excellent but you could probably pick up the albums you don't have for about the price of the box!

13. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

King Crimson

That's right, at least for the first decade. You're only 4 cds away from having all of the 60's and 70's studio disks (if I'm counting correctly: Wake of Posidon, Lizard, Islands, Starless and Bible Black, yes?). There are only two more for the 80's edition of the band, then, of course, there's the more recent incarnations, which have released a lot of material--a lot of it live.

Speaking of live, you might consider "Cirkus: The young persons guide to King Crimson Live" which covers all versions of the band from the beginning up to the mid 90's on two disks. Sound quality varies, but the music is great. The double sets of the "Larks'-Bible-Red" version of the band (Night Watch) and of the 80's version (Absent Lovers) are also both wonderful live recordings.

L.

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Great Deceiver is also excellent and a superb recording. George Chkiantz, I believe.

15. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes! Great Deceiver is amazing, but you really have to love that particular band. I do love it, and the month or so I spent working my way through that set over and again was a very happy month! I go back to it a lot for the particular buzz it gives me. Nothing quite like it. I wish I had been able to see them play. Pretty dramatic stuff!

L.

16. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Wow, those are some interesting choices. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.