"Good Omens" TV Series from Amazon & BBC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

This six episode series debuted on Amazon Prime this past Friday. I watched four of six episodes over the weekend and, as a fan of the book by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, I am really happy with this adaptation. Casting is just about perfect, and I have no complaints about any of the changes from the book.

I was sad fifteen years ago or so when I heard that the Terry Gilliam adaptation never got off the ground since it seemed so well-aligned with his sensibilities. So far, this adaptation penned by book co-author Gaiman is hitting most of the right notes and even features a title sequence featuring cut-out animation that may be a tip of the hat to Gilliam's Python days.

Fan of the book? Going in cold? What do you think?

2. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Went in cold and enjoyed it very much. Relationship between Crowley and Aziraphale is very entertaining and even touching.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Gotta get a 'PRIME trial'....'coz I GOTTA see THIS!!
    Hope it's as AWESOME as the book!

4. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Loved the book and loved the adaptation. The casting was perfect. We binge watched the entire 6 episodes this past weekend. A truly fitting tribute to Terry Pratchett, with great chemistry between most of the cast members and a witty script by Gaiman that stayed with the essence of the book as they wrote it back then.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Official trailer (should have included in first post):

6. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Watched 3 of the 6 so far, I'm not normally keen on Sheen but he's great in this. The pace is a touch slow but overall pretty good, Tennant is great too.

7. vince

So, if this just a 'mini-series'-type thing...?

8. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Haven't read the book (yet), but I watched the series last Friday. I enjoyed it very much.

MoonPool likes this.
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Never read the books but am a huge David Tennant fan. Loved this series.

10. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Sad to say I didn't make it past the first episode. It felt a bit 'off' to me tonally, given the subject matter. Too light, too cute, a bit too pleased with itself. And I found the acting hammy (especially Tennant, who was basically doing his Doctor schtick again).

YMMV.

Deesky likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I get the same mileage. :) Completely agree with you. I didn't know much about it going in, so when I saw the opening basically copying Hitchhiker's tv series style, it didn't scream originality nor substance. Then, as you say, Tennant did his usual hammy performance, seemingly doing a Rusell Brand impersonation, and I was getting more and more turned off. I made it about half way through the first ep before giving up as it was all just silly, smarmy fluff!

12. I quite enjoyed it. Read the book years ago. I thought it would have been more interesting to reverse the casting with Tennant as the angel and Sheen as Crowley. Crowley is doing a bang up job on “The Good Fight”.

Taxman likes this.
  13. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Phew! Glad to hear it wasn't just me, then!!

(and you are spot on about the Hitchhikers 'homage', I might add :righton:)

14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

My impression was Tennant (in the first episode) was channeling Bill Nighy's lead singer character from "Still Crazy":

[​IMG]

jriems and JonMcK like this.
  15. vince

About to watch this!
    Still didn't get an answer:
    Is this just a 'limited series' thing....or, are they gonna do a 'Season Two'?

16. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

It sounds like the plan is a limited series, with an option to continue as Gaiman has said (or was paraphrasing as saying) there was some discussion to continue the story after publishing the first book.

I was a bit so-so on it after episode #1, but think it really took off afterwards towards a solid conclusion.

Katinka Clementsmith and vince like this.
  17. vince

Just finished Ep. 2, and......
    I think that, just like "Preacher", the show's lack of 'imaginative direction' makes it feel a little flat...
    A bit of 'wacky-cartoonish' direction, like Edgar Wright, or some 'fish-eye-lens-work' like Gilliam, woulda given this show a little more 'edge'.. you know?

18. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Started watching it this week on my tablet. Great fun!
    Years since I read the book, probably early 90s.

Katinka Clementsmith likes this.
  19. vince

It's been years since I've read the book, too!
    In the episode where they keep bringing up being 'discorporated', I can't help but hear THIS, in my head!

"The first word in this song is 'discorporate'. It means, 'to leave your body'.

Antmanbee likes this.
  20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

After watching 3 episodes, I get the sadness. This material is tailor made for Gilliam. As it is, it is very Pythonesque.

BTW, the show is cute and amusing and I find it entertaining.

21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Must have read the book 8 or 9 times. It's a favourite. Not sure I want to see a tv/film version. I don't want to sour my love of the original by shouting at the screen at discrepancies and omissions in this, so I'll probably give this a miss. Some things just can't be adapted.
    (I know this sounds blinkered and as though I'm pre-judging. Don't mean it to sound that way).

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched the first episode. Can't say I'm in a hurry to watch the second.

Never been a Pratchett fan though.

23. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I like the show ! feels like Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy meets the omen!

24. vince

Believe it or not...it sticks pretty close to the book..... only everyone is....how should I say....less 'ugly' than I thought they were, in my head.

Katinka Clementsmith likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

In the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, there is a Guild of Assassins. They refer to the work they do as "inhuming".

Andy Smith and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.