"Good Omens" TV Series from Amazon & BBC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I enjoyed it.

vince likes this.
  2. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

Personally the Sheen Tennant time got on my nerves, if anything. From day one (literally) it's clear that they are played as a gay couple, in a very stereotypical way. Too much. That sort of thing is supposed to be an analogy, here's it's become just too obvious.
    Hey? Actually I'd expect a two-author book to be better, for the same reason that Monty Python (six critical crazy writers) were better than Spike Milligan (one crazy writer).
    I think Gaiman giving one of his own books a cameo (the soldier at the gate is reading it) was a bit up his own ass too.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Show me a movie or tv show adapted from a book that does not feature an appearance of at least one of the author's books. Usually with the author reading it!

Kiko1974 likes this.
  4. I haven't seen Stephen King anywhere on The Shining.

5. will_b_free

But you can see him consumed by space grass in Creepshow!

6. Spiny Norman

It never struck me before that others have? Do they?
    But with Gaiman it's beginning to form a pattern. I noticed when reading his Trigger warning that these days, he's full of it. Writing his own introductions (including to every story), full of false modesty and name dropping... "Oh yes, George RR Martin said to me..." And pretending that we were now entering the Twilight Zone... While in reality I found the stories in that book rather weak and I had guessed every surprise well in advance. So that's not a recommendation.

Having read most of his work and enjoyed a good part of that, I feel entitled to slash it when I don't.

7. will_b_free

Yeah it is common. For example Chairlaine Harris sits at the bar of Merlott’s, and Sookie’s grandmom reads Harris’’ paperbacks at the kitchen table in an episode of True Blood. Whenever you know something is an adaption of a book, just look at the covers of any book that any random character may be reading and you will start to notice.

Were you saying that Gaiman writes characters in his books who are reading his books? Or did you mean in tv and film adaptions? Because the latter is almost certainly not dictated by the script. The references are added for fun.

8. Spiny Norman

The latter, and of course it's for fun -- and for blowing his own trumpet.
    Well, it was the book in my previous post that gave me this impression anyway. Without that I probably wouldn't have thought about it.

9. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Picked up the paperback and finished it.
    A slog with a thin plot held up by sometimes pretty funny British humor.
    I have read American Gods and Neverwhere but if I didn't like Good Omens will I like any Disc World novel by
    Pratchett?

I don't even feel like watching the Amazon mini-series.

10. Spiny Norman

Normally I would be cautious, but if you hate thin plots, then I recon that No, you won't like it.
    Pratchett's Dics World = Wodehouse + a fantasy setting - coherence.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

12. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

John Finnemore is a co writer and that’s a great pick. Just the right sense of humor. Listen to the BBC radio show Cabin Pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.