Good phono pre with Ortofon 2m Bronze

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jtpal25, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The PS Audio GCPH can handle just about anything, although it’s perhaps not ideal for extremely low output MC. I have one set up without a line stage in my wife’s system. It goes straight to a Decware amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Funny how many people have different opinions on audiophile subjects.

3. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I also find it interesting the wide range of pricing on phono stages.

I often search for images (via Google images) of the inside of phono preamps, and rarely am I disappointed to find the same complement of op amps, resisters, and caps.

A few bucks in components, with the most expensive part almost always the chassis.

4. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I used a Bronze with a Jolida JD-9 and then a Graham Slee Reflex M with excellent results. Bought both second-hand.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Which is exactly what I did. My Bad! (Guess that's what you get when you drink decaf coffee)

I have a Musical Fidelity phono preamp and have MoFi record inner sleeves and cleaning brush.

6. SandAndGlass

Same as anything else. With higher end audio, we do seem to take things to their extreme.

You pretty much need to use OP amps to make a decent inexpensive phono preamp.

Though I am not a particular fan of OP amps in amplifiers, the do have their place and serve their intended purposes.

I own and have used phono preamps with OP amps and do have to admit that they do their job decently well.

That and the AC cord.

7. SandAndGlass

I don't think you can judge much by what a Radio Shack phono preamp does or does not do (BTW, I have owned and used Radio Shack phono preamps before, some years back).

If you have a pop or something on a record that causes a sharp transient, then you can make almost any phono preamp clip.

If this happens on your "Love for Sale" album and not on other albums, then that would give good reason to consider that particular album. Jazz Trio's are not really known for having big dynamic transients.

If anything, I would consider a different preamp as my first option.

I have three separate audio systems in the same room, two with SS amps and two with tube amps, all playing from the same source and I have never had any of these problems.

8. Phil Thien

It is just an implementation lifted from typical 70's receivers. I like the level of detail provided over the op amp designs I tried.

Well transients are really a product of the instruments being played. Drums and especially cymbals will always bring the transients.

In this case though it is a bass transient possibly leading to audible clipping (a higher frequency "pop"). I think.

I don't care a ton, just a bit curious. I will likely borrow a different preamp from a friend and give the album another listen some day.

That is great.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I now have an ELA PPA-2 phono pre on it's way. I will let you know how it compares to the mofi StudioPhono

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

Exactly!

I listen to a lot of Jazz and I have a commercial 15" passive, horn loaded sub woofer that is powered by a 1,600-Watt Crown amplifier and I have never had it overloaded by a bass transient. Nor have I had any regular woofer pop from a bass transient.

A higher frequency "pop", would tend to suggest the issue was elsewhere.

The sub is shown on the left, together with the Altec theater speaker, which has a Altec 828 bass cabinet and a 15" woofer driver.

[​IMG]

11. Phil Thien

I'm suggesting a possibility that the clipping is occurring in the phono stage itself, you can hear it via headphones.

Could be a problem on the vinyl itself, the bass is very over-the-top. BUT, I haven't found comments from others having the same issue with the same album.

12. SandAndGlass

Well, that sound like the problem is in the album and not an issue with the phone stage.

Even then, if there was a problem with the phone stage clipping, you would likely hear it on other albums as well.

There is nothing saying that there is not clipping present in on the original source pressing or that there was not a problem defect present in the pressing that you own?

13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Sure! That's why there are about a trillion posts here at this site. :blah:
    Many, many, years ago I was banned for a few hours for something that was said. :goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.