good place to buy MC cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkstar, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkstar

darkstar New Member Thread Starter

I am looking for an Ortofon X3 MC cartridge, since I was STUPID!!! enough to break the cantilever on my friends TT, which he was kind enough to loan me.

What I've found is an X3 for $103, is that about what I could expect?

Is there a better high output MC out there for similar price?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sorry to hear it. It's very easy to be-head that cart. $103 is cheap for that cart, actually, since most people are charging twice that ammount... Whatcha looking at, eBay? Used? Hmm...

The two biggest bad boys in my book are the Shure - V15 Type VxMR Cartridge and the Dynavector - 10x4 Cartridge (MC, High output). They both go for around $300 though.

If you get that cart for $110, good luck! You have to be very careful around carts (like even the Dynavector) with long cantivileers. One wrong move, and it's done with a capital D.

3. Ambel

Ambel New Member

I would recommend a Denon 103 you can get it directly from Denon.
    But you would need a step up transformer If you into DIY you can get
    a step up from Jensen transformer.

4. darkstar

www.jacksmusicfactory.com

This is supposedly new, I am afraid of buying used, maybe someone would try to sell a damaged (not necessarily intentionally!) cartridge, and then I'd be no better off than I am now.

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I've seen Jack's recommended here before. So I would assume it's a safe place to buy.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sckott,

I have the Dynavector 10x4 cart but I'm considering maybe in a few months maybe going with the Shure V15 Type VxMR (a change of menu thing). What do you feel are the strengths/weaknesses of both carts? My system's listed in my profile...

Todd

7. Sckott

I've seen your profile before Todd. I like the rig quite a bit!

Actually, have you ever used anything on your rig OTHER than the Dynavector? In many cases, as long as you don't mind that it is a high-output MC, it's a very sweet, detailed, precision audiophile cart. I love it.

Most everyone, including audiophile neurotics don't change carts unless they feel the 2-4 year milage period is up, and they're looking for another cart. I would seriously look into both. The Dynav is absolutely stunning in detail, but many people have always argued that many MCs are a hell of a lot more coloured than most MMs, and that in some applications, the MCs' don't compliment their pre stage.

This doesn't effect you one bit. You have a very nice VPI. If you love the Dyn, then keep it!!

8. Todd Fredericks

Thanks for the compliment about my system Sckott (this forum really helped knock it into shape). In the past , I've used an AT 440ML (okay but nothing to write home about) and a Glider (a bit over-rated for it's price). I do love the Dyna (this is my second/has about a year or so left on it). I was just thinking of maybe shaking things up a bit with a change. I remember Steve stating that MC's usually reveal more surface noise (due to the nature of design) than MM's. I'm curious to hear if another cart would reduce some of the sn on some of my noisier (rare) pressings. I think another approach I'm still considering is maybe an arm upgrade (perhaps a used JMW Memorial 10). Right now, I seriously need to hold off on major purchases (which I've been good about) but in a few months I may want to do this.

Todd

9. Sckott

Then I would use a MM. Maybe the Shure. Steve is right, basically. Most any MC is going to be more detailed and sensitive, almost to a fault. The DV is still fairly awesome. It tries to be both, without many faults at all.

10. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Hey todd, have you ever heard a CLearaudio Beta S? There's a new version out which Sterephile rates higher that a glider . A gilder is Class C and the Beta is Class B and the basic Beta is $350, and the s is $450. I really like my Beta, it did take a while to break in even though its a MM. trade back or trade up is $175 for another Clearaudio product. my dealer will trade up on Benz producs also.

11. Ambel

Ambel New Member

I think the Shure V15 smokes the Clearaudio Beta S sonic ally.
    I've got a buddy who has the Beta S and went to Shure V15.
    But in terms of overall musically the way to go is low output MC.
    The Denon 103 series is the best value when it comes to cartridge
    but don't buy a used one. And for MC step-up look for the Peerless/altec
    4722 mic input transformer in green can on ebay.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ambel, which Sure V15 was it? I'm thinking of upgrading my cart. for the Ariston.

I also thing that it really has something to do with the TT one uses. My Ariston arm was designed for Sure cartridges.

13. Todd Fredericks

Thanks for all the cart suggestions. In a few months (when my tree grows more money), I do some heavy research and check these out....

Senior Todd

14. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Hey Todd, the van den Hul type 1 stylus is longer and rides deeper in the groove, which can reduce surface noise. They offer some higher output MC's through Stanalog Audio Imports that oughta be cheaper than the Grasshopper or Frog models. Just a thought. Watch your tonearm/cartridge compliance.

15. darkstar

hijack the thread! (Wait, I started this....)

Back to earth, space cowboys.

Assuming you don't have hundreds (or even a single hundred) to spend on a cartridge, what would you recommend?

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Darkstar, hunt thru flea markets (hi-fi dealers), old record stores (that used to sell needles or cartridges), older stereo stores tat are NOT high end, etc. searching for NOS (new old stock).

17. Todd Fredericks

I'd suggest the Audio Technica 440ML. It's MM and I think you can still get a new one for $99 (great bargain). I could sell you mine for $175 but I think it only has an hour or two left of life left on it (I wouldn't buy it for that much "used" and I'm the one pretending to sell it!!)...

Todd

18. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

19. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I second Ambel's opinion re the Denon 103, it's an amazing cart. I was using a fairly expensive MC cartridge and it crapped out on me, so I bought the Denon as a stop-gap until I saved enough cash to get a retip/repair. But it turns out I prefer the sound of the Denon. It just has a "wholeness" to it that the expensive cart didn't have.

If you need a higher output than the 103 you might consider the Denon 160. Both carts should be available from Denon USA (in Torrance, California I think); but you might find them even cheaper from www.phonophono.de.

20. darkstar

I ended up buying a 'stop gap' Ortonfon OM5e, a $40 cart on sale for $60 at needledoctor.

But, they also set up the TT, the whole ball of wax, which I had attempted and apparently gotten the VTA wrong.

My phono stage on the Cary is pooched, I need some new tubes, so I used a Rat Shack phono stage and spun up a record (or ten).

All I can say is, "Neil, Neil, why did I forsake you?"

I listened to "On the Beach" late Saturday after a night out at a street dance and wow, oh wow....

I don't have subscriptions to audio mags so I lack the adjectives, but the analog appears to be 'thicker' than the digital.

My wife, the day before, said "Who would spend thousands on a stereo and then listen to crappy vinyl?"

After listening to "On the Beach" she said, "You know, it really sounds different. CDs are thinner."

Why didn't I have this epiphany when I actually had money? Now all I have is a borrowed TT, a budget cartridge, and a Rat Shack phono stage the size of a box of Altoids.

On the bright side, even that setup works very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.