Good sounding (well mastered) classic jazz albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redolar, Sep 16, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redolar

Redolar New Member Thread Starter

The other day I was in the mood for some classic jazz albums and started listening to some Blue Note releases. Soon, however, I had to stop: they were all mastered really loud with distortion. Not only was this a distraction, an ugly sound degrading the timbre of the instruments, but it actually hurt my ears listening to this.

I started out listening on Spotify. The one common denominator in the description was "remastered by Rudy van Gelder". Horrified, I tried finding some original releases since I know that sometimes remasters are worse than the originals, but that didn't help...

I was in the mood for some Grant Green (I specifically used to love his renditions of Lullaby of the Leaves), but had to stop due to the pain inducing sounds on the record.

Well, I'm still longing for some quality jazz with good sound.

Any recommendations?

2. I noticed some low distortion on the first track of the Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers (Moanin'). It's evident on the RVG CD edition as well as the as the Blue Note Classic vinyl edition - it's a classic track ruined by the distortion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.